Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Odd question: Does the Pre actually have any moving parts in it? Like a small hard drive? I hope I'm not hallucinating, but I have a new Pre I swear I can actually hear it writing to a hard drive or doing something. I never noticed that with my old Pre.

Just wondering. Thanks.
    There are actually little tiny elves hard at work inside your Pre.

While you're sitting there relaxing, listening to Pandora while surfing the web, these little fellas are busting their little behinds just to please you.

(Odd answer to odd question)
    There is also a little snail that goes around slurping up all the used memory. I heard Palm is updating the snail to a millipede in the next device to increase aggresiveness and rid normal users of TMC. Sammy snail is just too slow at his job
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    OK, so I guess I am hallucinating? It is definitely making some noise, especially when on the Touchstone.
    Palm started installing miniature hard drives on the refurbs, in place of the flash memory. I was told by a reliable source that the thinking is that since many people drop cell phones, this will render the phone useless that much quicker, meaning you have to purchase a new Palm phone that much quicker.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    You may be hearing some oscillations from the magnetic induction charging system. Its not unlike a speaker, but with no moving parts.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by joe8617 View Post
    OK, so I guess I am hallucinating? It is definitely making some noise, especially when on the Touchstone.
    I've noticed that when my phone is 100% charged and on the Touchstone, the phone will start 'squealing'. Not like a pig so much, more like a car with bad brakes off in the distance - getting never further, nor closer.

So it's either that, or the elves.
    I still think it's the elves, personally.

You guys can go right on ahead with that induction nonsense.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 07/21/2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinoishere View Post
    I've noticed that when my phone is 100% charged and on the Touchstone, the phone will start 'squealing'. Not like a pig so much, more like a car with bad brakes off in the distance - getting never further, nor closer.

So it's either that, or the elves.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I still think it's the elves, personally.
    Don't you guys realize the elves get electrocuted every time you put the Pre on the Touchstone! Why do you guys keep torturing them?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Don't you guys realize the elves get electrocuted every time you put the Pre on the Touchstone! Why do you guys keep torturing them?!?
    Actually, a little birdie told me that the little elves secretly enjoy it.
    That birdie is a damn liar, it also told Gates that all smartphones loose a signal when you hold 'em.

Other Lies Told By That Birdie:
    "Documents To Go for WebOS will be released in early 2010."
    "Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 is coming to Palm® WebOS™ in the first half of 2010."
    Last edited by deesugar; 07/21/2010 at 02:30 PM.
    Little preverts!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Little preverts!
    PREverts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    PREverts
    Pre jokes never get old
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I may also be the phone creaking as parts heat up or cool down while other parts stay the same temperature much like a house only on a much smaller scale.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by srswarley View Post
    Pre jokes never get old
    neither do highschool girls
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    /thread jack: Honis-i like your sig, that show ever come on anymore? /*end thread jack/
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe8617 View Post
    Odd question: Does the Pre actually have any moving parts in it? Like a small hard drive? I hope I'm not hallucinating, but I have a new Pre I swear I can actually hear it writing to a hard drive or doing something. I never noticed that with my old Pre.

Just wondering. Thanks.
    Well you have the screen that slides up and down.. along with the silence switch and various buttons.. then you have the accelerometer.. but i doubt its any of those...

my computer has the same problem, it makes a similar noise even with no hard drive activity. It comes from the speakers or audio output. Maybe it's interference, who knows. in any case try to find where the sound is coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    You may be hearing some oscillations from the magnetic induction charging system. Its not unlike a speaker, but with no moving parts.

Ron
    Yep, that's what it is.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Hit me beet me make me bleed S&M is all i need... something like that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast