Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Hi Ya'll,

    As I'm sure you're aware, Palm will perform an "advance exchange" (where they ship out a replacement unit to you before recieving your unit) for a fee of $29.99 and also putting a hold on your credit card for some amount.

    Has anyone had any luck getting out of the fee? I'm happy to let them put the hold on my card...but it miffs me a little that they make any money off of notoriously unreliable hardware in this way.

    Details about advance exchange:
    Palm Support : Advance exchange services (US & Canada)
  2. #2  
    Hi,
    Unfortunately... I don't think that's possible. You know how money hungry these companies are. If you want the phone right away, and can't wait then I would suggest just pay the money.

    Take care.
  3. EazyWeazy's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #3  
    Why are you going through Palm? Which carrier are you with? I have a Sprint Pre (which I have had to replace 3 times). Each time I handled the advanced exchange through Sprint. I bought my wife's Pre through Best Buy and when we exchanged her Pre, Sprint handled it as well.

    Try going through your carrier. The Pre has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. The carriers are the ones who should be replacing phones, not Palm.

    Hope this helps.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by EazyWeazy View Post
    Why are you going through Palm? Which carrier are you with? I have a Sprint Pre (which I have had to replace 3 times). Each time I handled the advanced exchange through Sprint. I bought my wife's Pre through Best Buy and when we exchanged her Pre, Sprint handled it as well.

    Try going through your carrier. The Pre has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. The carriers are the ones who should be replacing phones, not Palm.

    Hope this helps.
    Yeah, you're probably right. The issue is that my working hours don't really allow me to go to a Sprint Store and deal with all of their nonsense to get this taken care of. Moreover, Sprint doesn't even have a service center in the District of Columbia...sigh!

    But you're right, maybe I'll give Sprint a call.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by akashhhhh View Post
    Hi Ya'll,

    As I'm sure you're aware, Palm will perform an "advance exchange" (where they ship out a replacement unit to you before recieving your unit) for a fee of $29.99 and also putting a hold on your credit card for some amount.

    Has anyone had any luck getting out of the fee? I'm happy to let them put the hold on my card...but it miffs me a little that they make any money off of notoriously unreliable hardware in this way.

    Details about advance exchange:
    Palm Support : Advance exchange services (US & Canada)
    The fee isn't just so we can pocket a little extra money. Palm pays for shipping the device both ways that's what the money goes to.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The fee isn't just so we can pocket a little extra money. Palm pays for shipping the device both ways that's what the money goes to.
    verizon ships over night (or is it two day now.. i've had it both ways in the FOUR different pre's i've had), and they don't charge. and shipping both ways does not cost 30 dollars.

    also, if Palm isn't going to charge when you send it back 5 days then why should they if they send you a phone first (putting a CC on hold is totally understandable). they know no one is going to go 5-7 days w/out a phone so they put a price on convenience.
  7. #7  
    Yeah there is a way to get out of it i just did last week.

    I got the cracks underneath the screen emanating from the center button i know is a KNOWN issue to anyone who works for palm or sprint. I put the fear of god in "john" the guy i talked to and demanded to speak to mr. Palm immediately, he went to get his supervisor and came back on the phone and told me the same two options he had just told me. I went berzerk and told him to get me his supervisor immediately, well lo and behold this time he comes back and says for "one time only" they can wave the $30 charge. i said fine...what the hell world/country are we living in when we should have to pay ANYTHING because a company makes a <deleted by mod> product.

    hope this helps
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/21/2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: avoiding language filter
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The fee isn't just so we can pocket a little extra money. Palm pays for shipping the device both ways that's what the money goes to.
    Yeah, well it's their broken phone and their soon to fail phone that they're shipping so they should cover the costs.

    As for the OP, I have managed to get out of the $30 fee. With the right amount of unhappiness towards the representative they will waive the fee but they'll never get rid of the hold.

    In the end I suggest doing what everybody else suggests, I ended up doing this anyway because Palm is of little help. Call Sprint if you're with them, and they'll go out of their way to help you free of charge.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dancehard View Post
    Yeah there is a way to get out of it i just did last week.

    I got the cracks underneath the screen emanating from the center button i know is a KNOWN issue to anyone who works for palm or sprint. I put the fear of god in "john" the guy i talked to and demanded to speak to mr. Palm immediately, he went to get his supervisor and came back on the phone and told me the same two options he had just told me. I went berzerk and told him to get me his supervisor immediately, well lo and behold this time he comes back and says for "one time only" they can wave the $30 charge. i said fine...what the hell world/country are we living in when we should have to pay ANYTHING because a company makes a <deleted by mod> product.

    hope this helps
    I went through this almost note for note as you did.
  10. #10  
    I still think it's ludicrous that their only 2 options are wait 5-7 days or pay $30. They're forcing the money out of you because either way they're paying for the shipping. If you own a smartphone, you obviously can't be without a phone for 5-7 business days. The only convenient option is that you cough up the $30. This thread is going to turn into a public F*** you announcement to Palm.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all of the responses guys!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dancehard View Post
    Yeah there is a way to get out of it i just did last week.

    I got the cracks underneath the screen emanating from the center button i know is a KNOWN issue to anyone who works for palm or sprint. I put the fear of god in "john" the guy i talked to and demanded to speak to mr. Palm immediately, he went to get his supervisor and came back on the phone and told me the same two options he had just told me. I went berzerk and told him to get me his supervisor immediately, well lo and behold this time he comes back and says for "one time only" they can wave the $30 charge. i said fine...what the hell world/country are we living in when we should have to pay ANYTHING because a company makes a <deleted by mod> product.

    hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    I went through this almost note for note as you did.

    Yep, I do did this EXACTLY word for word tonight and it works like a charm.

    Here are the definitive steps to get out of advance exchange:

    1) They ask you to pay 29.99 + 400 deposit

    2) You politely ask for the 29.99 fee to be waived because you don't feel you should have to pay extra to get a defective product replaced and be out of a phone for over a week.

    3) They say no.

    4) You ask to make your case to a supervisor

    5) They place you on hold for 4-5 minutes. Come back and say they've spoken to the supervisor and they won't waive the fee

    6) You, politely but firmly say that you'd like to directly speak to the supervisor.

    7) They put you on hold, come back and waive the fee (but still place the hold on your card).

    Enjoy.
  13. #13  
    Well yeah the hold on the card is understandable, but I wish they did it like Sprint. I ended up going through Sprint because I was sick of talking to Palm and they had me taken care of in a 5 minute phone call and the whole thing was over with in 3 days.

    They sent me a new device with a prepaid envelope to return my old phone and if I didn't return it within 30 days they'd charge me $500 or something. Needless to say I returned it as soon as I got it. If you call before noon ET they send it out that day on next day air.
  14. #14  
    i know it's been said already, but call Sprint, people. if you have a chevy and need warranty work, you go to the dealership, not to the rennaisance center (GM's world headquarters).
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i know it's been said already, but call Sprint, people. if you have a chevy and need warranty work, you go to the dealership, not to the rennaisance center (GM's world headquarters).
    If my laptop broke, I'd call HP, not my ISP....even if they subsidized my laptop.

Posting Permissions