Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    In actuality, this just points out the major limitation of the cloud as backup. Palm should provide an alternative solution (such as Rescoe Backup) that would provide a daily mirror backup in case this happens. Even though the Pre doesn't have a card, a backup should be provided in memory that will not be erased and can be restored easily, and automatically take you back to 100% of the phone you had prior to the hiccup. Save and Restore won't do that, and I can't even find the Pre Backup Utility any more on Preware; it sounds like it had problems as well. There is a great need out there for solid complete backup, developers.
    Global Posts
    607 Global Posts
    I was in the exact same boat. Was a bit of a pain, but ugh. And signing into the Palm Profile acts as a Text Message? Cause I don't have a messaging plan, and that is annoying.
    Thanks to all who have provided data. We have received enough information to work on this case. I can not share any details of what are findings are, but do thank everyone for providing feedback and bringing this to our attention.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by starbird View Post
    I was in the exact same boat. Was a bit of a pain, but ugh. And signing into the Palm Profile acts as a Text Message? Cause I don't have a messaging plan, and that is annoying.
    I don't think signing into a Palm Profile acts as a text message. I don't have service anymore, but am still able to sign in over wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Thanks to all who have provided data. We have received enough information to work on this case. I can not share any details of what are findings are, but do thank everyone for providing feedback and bringing this to our attention.
    Well it didn't affect me, but i would just like to say thanks to you for listening to all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    T I can not share any details of what are findings are, but do thank everyone for providing feedback and bringing this to our attention.
    So all of you who are so critical of Apple's antenna gate, and their silence on the issue, at least initially, are okay with this?

Just checkin'......!
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    So all of you who are so critical of Apple's antenna gate, and their silence on the issue, at least initially, are okay with this?
    What does that have to do with it?
    HardBeatZ has his ear to the ground for us and has been invaluable with his assistance.

Who can you talk to at Apple and get the same attention?
    I apologize if it seemed I was critical of HardBeatz. Not at all. He (she?) rocks.

I just meant they can't talk about, or the results (which I totally get - i wouldn't either in their position, or in any other company's similar situation). But the still-faithful here tend to rake Apple over the coals for not being forthcoming - immediately no less - about snafus.

So I was wondering if those who regularly berate Apple for their secrecy, also are critical of Palm when they adopt the same tactic?
    Nope had it happen mid afternoon yesterday here. "You have been signed out of your palm profile..." I assumed incorrectly that it was a connectivity/signal issue at first till it reboot and behaved like a new device :/
    I apologize if it seemed I was critical of HardBeatz. Not at all. He (she?) rocks.

I just meant they can't talk about, or the results (which I totally get - i wouldn't either in their position, or in any other company's similar situation). But the still-faithful here tend to rake Apple over the coals for not being forthcoming - immediately no less - about snafus.

So I was wondering if those who regularly berate Apple for their secrecy, also are critical of Palm when they adopt the same tactic?
    Palm let us know that they are working to fix it. Apple said "You're holding it wrong".

I don't see how you you can compare these two scenarios... Could you elaborate a bit more please?
    my phone did the same

1) message error that says I was logged out off my Palm Profile
    2) forced to Restart and and re-sync

fortunately, it was a breeze re-syncing but it's really time consuming, given the amount of time it takes for the phone to boot up.. and what gives????

my carrier is Sprint BTW..

would like Palm to fix this issue asap! it's very inconvenient!
    As far as we have seen, there are no "NEW" cases in regards to this issue. We understand that some customers will still be commenting that they have seen the issue, but no one should be getting the issue as of today.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts

So you're comparing an EMPLOYEE (read: not a PRPRPR $person$) $to$ $the$ $media$ $silence$ $of$ $an$ $entire$ $COMPANY$?

Just checkin'...!
    Look there Finngirl another thread talking trash about Apple.
    2:30 PM Central Time Zone
    Palm Pre Plus Verizon
    Preware items installed
    just went out of developer mode
    a couple of reboots and the Pre came back to login again
    Well, this Profile disconnect/forced restore thing happened to me once three weeks ago. Afterwards, I was able to restore it pretty easily, and all my contacts and email account synced easily. I had to reinstall apps, but no big deal. Then, the next day, my contacts and email accounts were suddenly gone. There was no notice, no alert about disconnecting from the Palm Profile, nothing. I actually only noticed it when I got a text message from someone in my contacts...except it only showed their phone number. I looked in the Contacts app, and nothing was there. Email app: empty.

I was able to get them back after following through a slow, laborious process with a Palm online chat support rep, but I lost all other data in the process, including homebrew apps.

Today, randomly, the same thing happened. No alerts or notification, I just suddenly had no contacts or email accounts linked to my Palm Profile. This is pretty aggravating. I really don't want to have to sit through the 45 minute process again with customer support. Has this (possibly related) issue happened to anyone else?
    Ah. I got it. COMPLETELY different. LOL
    So finally it hit me too.

Today my phone told me I am not connected to my profile. Had to reboot (twice), re-log in, sync back everything etc.

German O2 Pre, used in Austria with "3" SIM. Stock kernel, but had a few Homebrew apps and patches. Worked fine until this morning, then suddenly BLAM.

Sucks big time. Here's why:

• no WiFi possible for initial connect:
      • a) very bad when roaming == super expensive
      • b) will use some MBs of data cap, which may be limited for some users (depending on contract). For example I only have 500 MB data/month.
    • will not restore WiFi access point data (login keys)
    • will not restore call log and sms
    • will not restore ringtones
    • will not restore the DATA of apps (!!!)
      • => lost shopping lists, TANs, password safes, fuel & mileage records, and more... THIS SUCKS
    • will not restore homebrew apps (but I guess that's how it is, I am willing to live with that)

• if this is due to an issue at the server, why can't we say "retry profile log in" instead of having everything wiped.
    • webOS should at least restore the data of apps to last "save point", at least of those apps that do not indicate that they manage this themselves. This used to work on PalmOS - Hotsync automatically backed up the data of all apps unless the app had marked its database as "do not backup".

Also, my Calendar profiles (accounts) seem to be gone now. If I go to Calendar -> Settings and Accounts the page is empty (it shows the UI elements but everything is empty) and I can not add any accounts nor change any settings nor enter any sub-pages. The buttons won't work. I have no idea how I can regain control over my calendar settings. Do I need to doctor?

Happened during a working day, so I lost 2-3 hours of work immediately (need my phone! need bluetooth tethering to get my Laptop onto 3G network!). Will loose more time to try recover some lost data.

That's the purpose of online backup???

Max
    that is a very nice point, there should be a retry to log in, rather than wipe everything and start from scratch. Or atleast call palm to retry to log in screen, instead of reset or erase device options.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I just lost every 5 minutes ago. So much for it no longer happening.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast