Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Just read the 6T's. What does this mean "Repeatedly taking the battery out of a phone that has not been properly shut down can damage the phone."
    Just like with a PC shutting down is more than just cutting the power. There is a process. Part of the process is unmounting the file system. Basically a mounted file system means the thing the files are on is active and in use. Any files that are in use or in the process of being read or written will be corrupted if power is removed without the file system being unmounted. The unmount process safely closes all file system connections and makes sure all read and write processes complete to safely turn off the thing the file system is on. Removing the battery cuts the power without going through the shutdown process. If the critical system files get corrupted the OS and other software can function improperly or worse cease to function at all required a clean install of the OS.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    An update...

Today I had the same effect that I had, when the contents of my USB drive were wopen .
    The screen contents just kinda melted in about 3/10s of a second and the screen went black. Needless to say, I was frozen in horror.
    But this time I could tie the problem to a specific event, which I couldn't last time, probably because I just didn't notice/make the connection.

I had just closed my slider, not too hard but not softly either. The battery pack or its connectors must have jiggled just enough to break contact for a split second. Power lost, instant shutoff.

This time I don't seem to have lost any data and I proceeded to shim the battery with some layers of narrow paper strips, so there is no more play in the battery compartment.

The fact that I lost _everything_ the first time this happened, just underscores the need for a proper full backup/imaging solution for the Pre.

NVBackup for my old Treo 680 worked great and I could always be confident to be able to do a full restore in 15 Minutes, probably less. I did a few times, too. Not because I needed to recover from a file system problem, though. The Treo 650 and 680 were rock solid.

There have been a few attempts at full backup solutions for the Pre but as far as I know none are as convenient or thorough as NVBackup. This really is a dealbreaker. I have used my pre less since that catastrophic failure just because my confidence in the device has been shot all to hell. Everything I tweak and customize now is done with the nagging feeling that all could be lost in the next minute. That is unacceptable for a device that could, if reliable, make your life so much easier.

I'll keep on searching for backup solutions on the forums for a while and in case I come up empty, I'll try and spur some new interest in the matter, as for me it is the single most important missing feature. After all, if you can't count on your data being secure, using the Pre for anything more than the most basic stock functionality is pointless. This is not what I signed up for and its not what I have come to expect from Palm in my many years of using their PDAs and smartphones.

Comments?

Regards, uwer.
    Unlike with the old palmOS a thoroughly complete back up is not necessary.

Palm profile backup keeps your palm app catalog apps you have installed and calendar entries, email, messaging, contacts accounts (1st and 3rd party [synergy]). Palm profile tracked apps auto install and everything synergy as a result of the profile log in process.

Preware saved package list keeps track of all other apps, patches and anything else installed with it, quick install, and internalz. And possibly any other form of side loading. Anything in a feed added to preware can be installed with one tap for all. Anything installed by quick install, internalz, or other side loading will be listed as a reminder so you can manually install those things. 99% of stuff will be in a feed so no worries on much manual installs.

Save/Restore can backup all user data for all your apps and quite a bit of other things such as launcher icons and positions; browser cookies, history, bookmarks; and memos and messaging to html. This only leaves, as far as I have been able to determine, the call log which we are looking into getting that added to save/restore. It was the only thing not backed up and subsequently recovered having my device completely wipe of everything including the USB portion. If there are any apps you have not yet added to save/restore make sure to stop in the thread and let us know so we can get them added. The app is community driven so unless we are informed an app has data that needs to be saved it doesn't get added. I'm currently getting ready to add a number of apps.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Thank you very much for all your pointers. Save/restore has been an invaluable help in all of this. (Read: it saved my sorry ***** )
    My experience with the Palm profile has not been so great. It seems all my calendar entries from 2003 to March of 2010 are gone. Luckily that rouhgly coincides with my migration from the old Treo 680 and that thing still runs like a champ.
    I'll start a new thread on others experience with the Palm profile cloud backup and restore.
    Palm support chat couldn't help me by pushing old entries back into my calendar. they recommended Companion Link for a local backup if desired.

Also, E-Mail passwords, bluetooth pairings, Wi-Fi settings are not retained in the cloud backup (and they shouldn't be).
    Another great reason to have a thorough backup is its effectiveness, relative speedyness and the possibility to do an unattended restore when needed.

So having a thorough backup might not be needed for everyone but it is a must have for me and likely for many others, too. It might not be needed in 90% of scenarios but having one when it counts is very valuable.
    This doesn't mean such a backup would absolutely need to have each and every system file that is contained in the doctor anyway. It just probably is the simplest way to create a "dumb" backup of the whole system.

I'll definitely contribute to the save/restore thread and let you know what apps I'd like backed up, that aren't already in there. It is great to have such dedicated supporters for what is, for all its shortcomings, a great device.

Best regards, uwer
    Forgot to add, the three EA games, NFSU, Sims and Monopoly, that were offered as a promo for the EU Pre also weren't restored. Palm support said, they can't be and have to be bought now. Bummer
    Mine wiped itself after doing the 1.4.5 update and it just rebooted and came up to the palm profile sign in. Say i was logged out....not sure how. Oh well gave me an excuse to doctor it. No issues since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by uwer View Post
    Forgot to add, the three EA games, NFSU, Sims and Monopoly, that were offered as a promo for the EU Pre also weren't restored. Palm support said, they can't be and have to be bought now. Bummer
    Mega bummer that you got them for free in a promo and have to purchase them. I also added email passwords, bluetooth pairings, and WiFi settings to my list of things not backed up to investigate at the least a backup to a text form for reference and hope that they can be restored. So far that makes 5 things total that I'm aware of that doesn't get backed up the two that were already on my list were messaging and call logs. Due to the nature of how messaging is integrated into the palm database we need an expert on the database to figure out how to make restore capable if done 3rd party. Ideally it would be great to see palm support that in the profile backup. Call logs we will be investigating to see if it can be backed up and restored. If not it would be great to see palm add that to profile backup too.
    Sprint user here, running 1.4.5 (latest update) and it JUST happened to me, i was in the process of checking for app updates (preware) and it suggested i reboot, so i did, and i was then disconnected. Tried several restarts, as i was afraid of deleting the data, then did that, TWICE, and i still can not get it to start over ... any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterzzz View Post
    Sprint user here, running 1.4.5 (latest update) and it JUST happened to me, i was in the process of checking for app updates (preware) and it suggested i reboot, so i did, and i was then disconnected. Tried several restarts, as i was afraid of deleting the data, then did that, TWICE, and i still can not get it to start over ... any ideas?
    I was stuck in the reboot loop as well and lost everything including my USB drive part. Hopefully you didn't lose that too. Follow these instructions to doctor the device. I don't think there is any other way to recover from the loop. http://www.palm.com/rom/
    tho this only happened to me once but since then and after reading that this is still an on going issue, i dont rely on this phone for keeping important information on it. kind of sucks that because your not logged into your profile, it forces you to do a hard reset.

i like webos but i consider this a major failure.
    Just happened to me as well. Now it keeps saying my phone is offline..... I have just about had it with this crap!!
    ok this is really strange. Most of my patches seem to still be there, but they aren't showing as being there through WebOS QI or through Preware and the phone won't stay online!!
    Patches being left in place with no means to cleanly uninstall them seems to happen a lot in this context. The patched system files remain in place, so the patches still work.
    If you have your saved package list from preware, you can reinstall after doctoring. EPR might work also.
    If needed, you can try and recover lost files from the USB partition with Recuva and Testdisk Photorec.

Not sure what you mean by offline, is the phone not connecting to the providers network, the palm profile or your Wi-Fi?

HTH, uwer
    Just happened to me again...Oh well, I didn't have anything better to do with 3 hrs of my time.. (thank god for save/restore and the preware saved package list).
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    It just happen to me on my Sprint Pre

Phone said i was no longer signed in to my Palm Profile & restarted,

Lost all my apps & patches

How do i get everything back? Do I just webos doctor it or is there a easier way?
    ^ just sign in your profile and everything should restore minus the IM conversations. all the text messages are gone fore good =(
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    That's the funny part..

The phone restarted but didn't give me the option to sign in. It just said setup was complete & restarted again. After restart it did not ask me for my account passwords etc.. Apps are all gone & not downloading, Patches like glass effect & icons patch are still working. All data still safe pictures,music,call logs, etc...

I re-installed Preware hoping that it would see everything, but it doesn't.
    This just happened to me this morning (9/7/10) on my launch Sprint Pre @ approx. 10AM. I'm getting most stuff back, but all homebrew, etc. is blasted. Downloading continues 1hr in.

My phone wasn't even in use. Just sitting comfortably on the touchstone in my office. First time this has happened. Oh well. If homebrew or patches caused it, it's my own fault I guess, but if this is just an unrelated glitch I hope they figure it out. I'm fiercely loyal to WebOS, but this is the kind of thing that can change that in a heartbeat (if it surfaces again). For now, I give the benefit of the doubt. Huge inconvenience though.

BTW, I would suggest those of us who experience this, post what patches, apps, & homebrew we were using (if you can remember it all). It may help to establish a cause. Just a thought.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    That's around the same time it happen to me around 10am EST. It was just sitting on the touchstone.
    At this point I figure I'll just doctor it when I get home. It needed it anyway. It's been sluggish, so maybe it will make me whole again. Hah!

I have a lot of work to do on the contacts side of things though. Luckily I did the manual .csv backup a couple of months ago. I have a lot of manually set up contacts that just don't work well with the cloud data for some reason. I'll be punching a lot of Pre keys tonight for sure.