Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    You got a PM...
    I thought that all of these resets were just an anomaly until I just got hit!!! My rsync backup is a month old and Preware does not list all of my apps and patches so I am screwed. My Palm Pre on Sprint running WebOS 1.4.1.1 spontaneously rebooted and greeted me with the option to wipe or reset. I chose reset of course. Everything in /media/internal is there but my shell scripts in /home/root are gone. My patches seem to still be installed but not listed in Preware. The patches are not listed in the application directory either. This could be a problem that sends me to the doctor.
    This just happened to me about an hour ago but I'm having a major issue here. I keep getting returned back to the signed out dialog with the just restart and erase all data buttons. I'm aware, unless I'm misinformed, that I can click just restart all day long and never get logged back in leaving the only option to choose erase all data. The problem is after choosing that button it reboots and I'm taken right back to this prompt. I have no other way to make calls except from my pre thus I cannot call tech support to get back up and running. Please I need immediate help to get back up and running.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Just had this happen to me. Verizon pre plus 1.4.1.1. PM'd info to HardBeatz.

Not all my patches were reinstalled (including preware), but some definitely are. About a week ago, I saved the palm db as well as the output of "save/restore" on my hard drive.

Any recommendations for my next steps?
    -"doctor"? (never done that before)
    -put preware back on? If I did so would the "saved patches list" automatically restore all the patches and give visibility in preware?
    -go through WOSQI? Do I need to re install anything on my PC, as it was already installed there.
    -can I make use of what I archived from Save/restore? Especially preware and jvault?

Thanks...
    wow this is still happening... Any word from tech support on why and how to prevent it?
    how weird that this hasnt happened to me once
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Happened to me late last night. My backup is a little old, but my big problem is that my paid apps don't seem to have come back. Sending a PM to Hardbeatz now...

EDIT: My paid apps had to be installed manually, but I did not have to buy them again. The Save/Restore and Preware combo made it relatively painless except the fact that I had to go through it at all...
    Last edited by irateb; 08/08/2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: More info
    Last night my Pre did the same thing, all patches are there but not listed in Preware. I have a 2 hour drive coming, so DR visit and Pre Back Up/Restore here I come.
    IIIxe -> Handera 330 -> Tungsten C -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre-, Pre2 & Touchpad 32

http://about.me/robert.whisler
    HeartBeatZ isnt there a way to log back into profile without doing a reset?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    wow this is still happening... Any word from tech support on why and how to prevent it?
    This problem goes all the way back to day one over a year ago and I can't believe they haven't fixed it. And if nothing else made provision to log back in without the need to wipe the device and even use the doctor to recover when you get stuck in a not logged in loop. Plus according to the dialog choosing erase was not supposed to wipe the USB part and same with the doctor. However one of those two things did so.

What made me mad the most about this no longer logged in profile happening is that the message said you could connect to PC via USB to save the contents just in case but it would not go into drive mode and so the PC didn't see it as a USB drive thus no copying could take place. And on top of that the lose of all messaging data (text, IMs, etc). Why there is no backup and restore of this using the palm profile is just crazy. Sure if I'm lucky I'll have an html log of all of that from save/restore but will not be able to put it back into messaging. There is no 3rd party solution to this that doesn't break something else in the restore process.

I used save/restore to backup all my important app data and am hopeful that I will have recovered everything using an app that recovers data (deleted files, gone as a result of reformat, etc). But the process is going to be long I have almost 1000 zip files to look inside to identify the app it is a backup of and then rename them and place into a directory structure to be restored with save/restore.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    My pre is "back."

For those like me who are not hugely savvy, this is what I did to recover:
    -let the pre reload my profile. I had to input my passwords to email accounts. Took a bit of time (mainly to sync exchange).
    -noticed a lot of patches were still running, and it looked like all my data on the USB partition (eg photos) was still there.
    -ran WebOS repair utility (I probably didn't need to). I had already downloaded the doctor version so that was done. WebOS repair utility didn't find anything until the very end...something to do with etc/version. I ignored the error.
    -next ran WOSQI and installed preware. WOSQI ran fine, no need to re-install anything.
    -next used preware to install save/restore. The guru who wrote that made sure the "saves" ended up on the USB partition, so they were still there.
    -restored from save/restore. Main thing for me there was the preware saved package list (and some of the launcher configurations, including my browser bookmarks).
    -opened up preware and the saved package list and hit "install all". They started running. Several got the the message "interesting, it looks like the patch was already installed". It hung on the "add yahoo and bing to universal search". I swiped away preware, took that patch out from my list, started the process again. This time it hung at "system initial mode framework"--I had issues uninstalling that and reinstalling it in the past. Took it out of the list and started again--everything finished.
    -I went back and reinstalled the yahoo/bing patch with no problem. System mode framework and the mode switcher top bar patch were working even though I didn't go back to purposely install them.
    -did a profile back up and a save/restore back up.

Total time--about 3 hrs (pant, pant). Hopefully I nor anyone else will have to go through this again...
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    Total time--about 3 hrs (pant, pant). Hopefully I nor anyone else will have to go through this again...
    You got lucky your USB part didn't get wiped. Mine did and it took me 12 hours to sort through all the zip files I recovered from the USB using data recovery software to try to begin the process of getting everything back to as it was before. Unfortunately that is all the news I have since I just finished those 12 hours of sorting.
    I had a weird situation last night where my contacts were empty. I dunno what happened but when I rebooted the showed up again.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I woke up this mornin and preware said I had no patches installed yet my phone is still patched..does anyone kno why?
    Quote Originally Posted by chilo141 View Post
    I woke up this mornin and preware said I had no patches installed yet my phone is still patched..does anyone kno why?
    I have the same problem. Only new patches that I install show up as installed in Preware, yet there are many patches on my Pre that do not show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Users who are still reporting this issue. Please provide me with information that I have requested in the past

Palm profile email address, device meid / imei, and carrier.
    Just read the 6T's. What does this mean "Repeatedly taking the battery out of a phone that has not been properly shut down can damage the phone."
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I continued to have this issue after full wipes and webos dr's about every three hours. I changed my palm profile password yesterday afternoon and have not had an issue yet today. Hoping for the best.

I had a very recent back up to work with so I did not loose any data.
    IIIxe -> Handera 330 -> Tungsten C -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre-, Pre2 & Touchpad 32

http://about.me/robert.whisler
    Welp, this happened to me again, for the seventh time.

This time, when it restarted... it restarted again, and again, and again. It was stuck looping endlessly. I had to put it in Recovery Mode in order to get WebOS Doctor to begin, but it never made it past 8% before restarting itself.

I called Palm and after talking to three different people and answering all of their questions, they decided it was a hardware issue and are now sending me a refurb. I hope that's the last of it. This issue probably cost me something like 24 hours of my time over the last few weeks. Repairing, restoring, doctoring, getting palm to push my contacts back to the phone, talking to support, convincing them to send me a refurb... not to mention the 3 days I'm going to be completely without a phone.

Unbelievably frustrating.
    why is this starting to happen again in droves? Seemed like there where a few months of nothing then aug BAM..

unbelievably frustrating.
    unbearably palm.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I also had a wipe experience over the weekend. It started with a dual reset and then I was logged out of my profile. Took me ~3 hours to get back it (thanks to Save/Restore and manual backups I do). What a waste of time.