Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Saturday I was traveling back from out of state when I noticed that a tiny screw had fallen out of the inside of my Pre and was wedged between the top and bottom half. I could open the slider, but the screw would scrape inside as I opened it. At that point I got a small knife and pried the little screw out of my phone. To my surprise the phone no longer had the Oreo effect! Prior to the screw falling out, the top and bottom half would slide in opposite directions (Oreo). After the screw fell out, not only does it not do this, but it slides much smoother! This makes me wonder if this same little screw is causing problems for other people.

Has anyone else had this happen?
    Someone else posted a very similar experience as this not long ago (with pics I believe). Incredibly strange... but if it works, cool!
    Except, wouldn't it be cool if this thread didn't even need to exist, and our phones didn't coin such silly phrases such as "Oreo effect" in the first place?
    Yeah... I honestly haven't seen a post about oreo problems in quite some time.
    You know, companies use to pay big for the simplest suggestions like the elimination of a screw. It could save big dollars. Write HP a letter or is that Palm or HPalm or HP-Palm. Aww forget it.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    this is insane, I just had one come in the store today(which is why i opened the page) and i can honestly say this is the first time I have EVER seen this particular problem in the countless Pre returns and large list of Pre issues we get. guess its just getting the the point now were locktight would have help keep them in before the slider turns the screws out lol.
    happened to one of our four pre's and yeah it worked fine for a while....

Be careful as about a month later the 2 halves literally came apart. Since past 1 yr, Sprint store was able to "repair" it - essentially screw it back. That pre works great now.
    My pre before the one I have would loose a screw a lot. I didn't have any advantage though lol. It made the orea effect much more intense
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Day four with the loose screw and working A-OK. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post

Be careful as about a month later the 2 halves literally came apart. Since past 1 yr, Sprint store was able to "repair" it - essentially screw it back. That pre works great now.
    I had this happen to me last Friday where the 2 halves came apart. On Sat, I took it to the Sprint store to get repaired or replaced. after about 1 hour the service tech came out and said that they could not repair or replace the phone. That it had what they called Physical Damage. At this point I was kind of baffled, The phone is in perfect condition except for the screws missing that hold it together. I asked for the manager. She came out and said that she had already seen my phone and is the one who made the decision. After several mins of trying to politely talk about how this was physical damage, she had convinced me to call Palm about the issue.

What I found out is if Sprint did not cover it under the 1 year warranty, that I had to pay the insurance $100 to replace the phone, or pay $29.35 to Palm for the repair and wait for the phone while I ship it to them and they fix it and ship it back.

This is my 3rd Palm pre. The first one lasted less then 1 week. It had a mind of its own. When I touched something on the screen, there was no telling what it would do. I bought it in Sep09.

The 2nd Palm Pre had the internal speaker quit working and I had to people on the speaker phone in order to hear them. I took it to the Sprint store and they had one over night to me the next day. That was the first week of May10

Now its only been a month and a half and the screws fall out... there are at least 4 screws that hold this together. I am not sure if the screws were ever there in the first place. I never seen the fall out. Here is a link to a page I found that shows what the 2 halves looks like.
    "news.cnet.com/2300-1041_3-10001032-15.html?tag=mncol"
    "Chips image - Photos: Cracking open the Palm Pre - CNET News"

There are 2 tabs at the top of the halve on the right that slips under the top of the halve on the left. 2 screws at the very bottom and 2 more just about a inch and a quarter higher, one on each side.

I do not see how this constitutes Physical Damage??? I guess its Sprints way of getting out of replacing it.

I guess I will see about getting this one replaced, and giving it to my wife and get me a HTC EVO 4G. I am not sure what they are like at a first glance they look a lot better.
    Just got off the phone with Palm, they are sending me a new phone , and waving the $29.35 service fee. They said it should be here in 3 to 5 business days. I guess for now I just have to keep my phone held together.
    I think the OP has a screw loose.
    the same exact thing happened to me!!!
    Palm and Sprint told me that this was the first time that they have ever heard of this happening. I've read 3 different posts about similar problems.

Maybe a little lock tight could go a long ways.
    I have too many screws... which one do I lose?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Lol "This is the first time we have ever heard of this" Palm and Sprint are a hive mind and all employees share the same memories. I have taken my Pre to sprint when a screw fell out and I asked for a replacement. The Sprint guy managed to put the screw back in. I told him it was just going to fall out again (it did a few days later) and I wanted an exchange. He said he could not do that because I voided my Pre's warranty with homebrew lol (he saw my 4x4 icons)
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    Except, wouldn't it be cool if this thread didn't even need to exist, and our phones didn't coin such silly phrases such as "Oreo effect" in the first place?
    Yeah, it's terrible, how could they do that. A slider with play? In a first-generation device?? (Pre Plus has never suffered from the "oreo effect") Inexcusable.

In contrast, it's really unfair to stage that phony witch-hunt "antennagate" simply because people don't know how to correctly hold a phone with a revolutionary outside antenna that only Apple thought far enough outside the box to invent.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post

that happened to me bout month ago and sprint repkaced mine saying palm told them not to fix the screw.
    I wonder why some stores are allowed to repair the phone to the level of putting the screws back in and some are not allowed?

I talked to 3 repair stores in my area and none of them would do it. They said Palm did not allow them to work on them to that level. They said they would not do it even if the warranty was over.

I would think that if the warranty was expired, what difference would it make as long as they had the customer consent.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mechone View Post
    I wonder why some stores are allowed to repair the phone to the level of putting the screws back in and some are not allowed?

I talked to 3 repair stores in my area and none of them would do it. They said Palm did not allow them to work on them to that level. They said they would not do it even if the warranty was over.

I would think that if the warranty was expired, what difference would it make as long as they had the customer consent.
    You're just talking to idiots.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast