Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Oh crap, why now? I am SO screwed. re-booted, sitting on the touchstone... went to check a text... nothing.

I had noticed GPS had stopped updating, so I rebooted, as that usually will re-start the GPS reliably - upon re-boot, no touch screen. - pulled battery - re-started - still no response from the touchscreen.

Just got this refurb back to the way I like it, (can stand it, unpatched, this phone just doesn't cut it.) and now... oh man, I've got stuff in the morning to do, and no-way to access the info, notes, photos, texts, outlines all stuff that's NOT on the "cloud" - and I've got to call a new customer at 7am and his number is in a text message I received earlier tonight.

soonest I can get to Sprint is noon tomorrow, ...can't even call first! ;-( ...and it'll be another day or two to get another crappy refurb...

unless I use my upgrade and get a EVO. android sucks, but I need a phone tomorrow.

...reality is setting in as I type, ...
    I am so screwed. I'm going to lose a TON of work.
    Sorry. to. hear. this.

Even though your screen died, you can still throw your device into recovery mode and pull your files off of it. (At least I believe recovery mode will allow USB access, but not totally sure)

Pull your battery and reinsert it while holding the volume UP button. At this point your normally release the button when you see the big USB icon on the screen, but you will have to guess at this and just wait a minute to release. Plug the device into your computer and see if it shows as a USB drive.

Anyone else know if this suggestion will work?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Thanks, if I can get to those texts, and the notes and measurements that I took... I may be able to save my *****!

...damm, it's not being recognized by my laptop - don't think it going into USB mode - any idea where to look for texts, and the notes I took (I used the silly sticky notes looking thing...) oh yeah, I remember - "Orange/Symbol/U" = USB mode... now I'll copy everything and start digging... and hoping! Got to be up at 4ap - no sleep tonight! Thanks crappy hardware!
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    OK - I've copied everything off the Pre onto my laptop.

Does anyone know of a way to do a full erase/wipe/reset without a touchscreen?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    wow. epic fail - nothing i could access contained the texts, notes, I needed - and I can't find a way to to a full erase w/ a broken touchscreen either.

such a lousy night - and tomorrow is already all screwed up. ... really hating Palm's choice in cheap touchscreens in this phone. (do a search - it's really eyeopening. so many folks w/ the same issue.)

...the touchscreen is the biggest "weak link" in a phone that is a hardware disaster.

webOS deserved so much better.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    searched all over - seems there isn't a way to do a full erase with a broken touchscreen.

....and I couldn't find the texts... I've learned my lesson... should have learned it after my second refurb. I guess "third times the charm". Now, I spend the day/rest of the week, putting out fires and try to keep my business afloat.

...and I don't think a Pre will be the phone I use anymore... (sigh)
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hi my name is Adam and I represent Sprint as their SprintCareGuide. Please take your phone to the closest Sprint retailer and have them look at it for you. Please keep us updated.