Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Verizon Palm Pre Plus... I know this topic has been hit but search turned up nothing for me... so sit tight...

So I generally run a the 800/500 screenstate setup. No heat issues. Less than 5 minutes after I fire up the mobile hotspot, it overheats. Even if I turn it down to straight 500, it still overheats after a shortly longer time. I also just purchased a 2000 mAh battery and it still happens.

How could this get past Verizon's quality control? Are there any fixes? Would Verizon do anything if I complained?

thank you!
    -Luke
    MHS heats up my Sprint Pre as well. I suggest putting it over a vent or something while using it, and if you're in a place without one, try to keep it cool in whatever way possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    All teathering applications are known to heat up the device. Anything about 55c is considered too hot and you should let off. 60c you should start worrying. If you want to watch your temp. Download a patch from preware.

Overclocking your phone and teathering is also providing more fuel to the fire. When you teather set your clock back to stock, least thats my recommendations.

I also slide the phone open.

By stock, MHS will not kill your phone, but in non-standard conditions, its very likly to happen.
    Govnah is a nice way to watch the temp.
    my wifi does the same thing !
    Sadly to say, if you use mobile hotspot often... I would suggest not to have the phone overclock.

Those two are not a good combination.
    i dont really run into much of an issue temp wise with MHS i have a sprint pre. I just make sure there arent any other apps running i stay withing the 40 degree to 45 degree range
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    As was mentioned try to keep it cool. One way I do it is to open the slider, turn the phone over, remove the back cover and set it on a hard bumpy surface of some kind. This allows the heat to radiate out of the phone faster.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sipple31 View Post
    Verizon Palm Pre Plus... I know this topic has been hit but search turned up nothing for me... so sit tight...

So I generally run a the 800/500 screenstate setup. No heat issues. Less than 5 minutes after I fire up the mobile hotspot, it overheats. Even if I turn it down to straight 500, it still overheats after a shortly longer time. I also just purchased a 2000 mAh battery and it still happens.

How could this get past Verizon's quality control? Are there any fixes? Would Verizon do anything if I complained?

thank you!
    -Luke
    This is one of the many reasons why I use a USB tether method over WiFi. I suggest if you are only tethering one PC to use the USB tether. It runs cool and stays charged at the same time.

Good Luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Sadly to say, if you use mobile hotspot often... I would suggest not to have the phone overclock.

Those two are not a good combination.
    Is it OK to overclock but just turn the settings down to normal speed when tethering?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    This is one of the many reasons why I use a USB tether method over WiFi. I suggest if you are only tethering one PC to use the USB tether. It runs cool and stays charged at the same time.
    So "Mobile Hot Spot" has sort of a double meaning, it appears.....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)

Good Luck.
    I have to highly agree with this recommendation, as an alternative option for internet, when only one PC connection is needed.
    if your not using touchstone take off the back cover and put over a vent or near a fan every hour or so if you have the option turn it off take out the battery and let it completely cool
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    if your not using touchstone take off the back cover and put over a vent or near a fan every hour or so if you have the option turn it off take out the battery and let it completely cool
    It's a phone, not a chicken pot pie.
    If you have to do this, the Gods are trying to tell you something.
  15.    #15  
    It's a phone, not a chicken pot pie.
    If you have to do this, the Gods are trying to tell you something.
    haha, kind-of my thoughts as well. It's too bad they weren't able to handle the cooling issue in the design stage. Thankfully, I love 99% of the rest of the phone and am grateful for that.

The question in my head and most others' right now... how long can I wait for Palm/HP to release a new phone. I'm getting antsy!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Another handy way to keep the phone cooler is to slide it into one of those soft drink can holders that have the blue stuff inside. You put them into the freezer and then use them to keep a drink can cold for a long time--works well on the Pre when it's on MHS. I last found the holders at WalMart.
    Quote Originally Posted by edistopre View Post
    Another handy way to keep the phone cooler is to slide it into one of those soft drink can holders that have the blue stuff inside. You put them into the freezer and then use them to keep a drink can cold for a long time--works well on the Pre when it's on MHS. I last found the holders at WalMart.
    Wouldnt you have to contend with condensation buildup? This sounds like a terrible idea...
    I have a launch day Sprint Pre and I started out by using MyTether until that started to suck and then I installed Mobile HotSpot. I use it at work (5 days a week, 8 hrs a day) and for months it worked flawlessly. The past month or so I have been intermittently having overheating issues. I have Jason's temp in the top menu patch (or whatever its called) and it starts to warn me about the temp at 110F (43C) and I have seen it get as hot as 120F (49C). I'm using the stock kernel so overclocking isn't the culprit. Like I said, It only happens on some days, not every day and I can't seem to figure out what I do differently to trigger the overheating. I usually start by standing the phone up on its side edge( I have the Seidio 2600 batt so the extra bulk comes in handy) and if that isn't enough then I usually take the back cover off. As a last resort, I end up unplugging the charger for a while.

Good Luck.
    Does MHS have USB tethering capability or are you doing it some other way? I tried MHS via USB when I first installed it and didn't have any luck but I think I was having issues with MyTether conflicting. I still have both apps installed
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    ...I use it at work (5 days a week, 8 hrs a day) and for months it worked flawlessly...
    I just started using MHS on my Sprint Pre. I already was a heavy data user, generally using 2-5GB/Month w/o MHS. Now that I have started using MHS I am a bit concerned about Sprint noticing a usage increase. I keep an eye on my usage with Netstat, and so far I have heard anything from them.

Have you had any issues with Sprint and usage?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast