Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Further good news.

After restoring the profile I decided to try the stock WebOSDoctor again. I wanted to install 1.4.0 and let it OTA update to 1.4.1.1 but after 30 minutes of searching I couldn't find anyone hosting 1.4.0 so I just installed a stock Sprint 1.4.1.1.

The flash worked, the phone activated and all of the little oddities from my Meta-Doctor build are gone: the languages prompt only included English and Spanish, the phone app has the options for PRL update and network settings update. All looks great!

-darren
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Hey everyone, read the whole thread, exactly what i needed to know, my original post is somewhere on main pre page, would not let me post link.

I am pretty tech savy but not rebuild and do the switcheroo savy, is their any one of you guys..i know this is probably askin alot..but make a youtube video on very detailed steps on what to do and how to do it. the steps seem simple enough, but once gettin started on the project and u screw up u can rewind and visually watch what to do. I have no idea what all the software/programs you guys are using to, are they free, webos doctor and all that. So if its not to much to ask, if you posters or even the pre central.net people make a real solid tutorial for us out there, im sure im not alone, we would highly appreciate it. Also throw in a paypal donate site, id be willing to throw in a few bucks here and their for a project like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I've swapped a GSM board into a Sprint Pre and it worked fine.

Note that you may lose access to the app catalog by doing so. If you transfer over all the tokens (you can do that with Meta-Doctor) then you might be able to keep it, but no guarantees.

-- Rod
    Rod, is definately the WebOS master, and he's quickly becoming the Pre/Pixi hardware master too. Following his lead, I swapped a Telcel GSM radio board into a Bell Canada CDMA Pre. It worked. Toni Cipriani, are you reading this one? You should be able to do the same with an AT&T Pre Plus radio board. I'm planning to put one of those into a Sprint Pre later this week.
    What to do with these left over CDMA radio boards is going to be the next question ......

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    To answer a question that only I have asked it is indeed possible to move a coms board between two Sprint Pres. I didn't move the tokens or do any other programming.
    I'm definitely going to try this... I don't have any idea when it comes to linux or anything so this should be interesting. As a learning experience should I try running the metadoctor on the pre plus before I switch the com boards just to see if i can do it without screwing things up?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    I'm definitely going to try this... I don't have any idea when it comes to linux or anything so this should be interesting. As a learning experience should I try running the metadoctor on the pre plus before I switch the com boards just to see if i can do it without screwing things up?
    You can. I applied a Meta-Doctor build to the Pre Plus before pulling the Verizon coms board. When I was all done, I put the Verizon board into one of my Sprint Pres that has a cracked but usable screen. I configured it to work without activation using WLAN only.

To my surprise, I was even able to create a Palm profile and install apps from the app store! In an emergency, one can still call 911 with it and once the microphone API is released I'm sure we'll see some VoIP apps which will make it a usable WLAN phone.

I built Meta-Doctor under Windows using Cygwin - no Linux required. I followed the excellent instructions on the Meta-Doctor page and everything worked first try!

-darren
    OK, So When i did it, some how my app catalog wasnt working right. I was able to download but certain apps just didnt show up. So I read in a different thread that an OTA update fixes that so after searching for a webos doctor 1.4 for sprint I found it on a different post. Anyways the download link for the doctor is found on

megaupload. com /?d=XBJ6VQ80

delete the spaces

I was able to get all my appsand the phone works great even after an ota
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Edit: Yeah, using the Verizon version of the Doctor makes sense. It installed fine. I'm now using the Sprint version since the Verizon version hacked to change everything to say Sprint worked fine.

Hi there. Still trying to get this going... should I use the Verizon doctor instead? Thanks.

I used the Sprint Pre 1.4.1.1 webOS doctor as a source. I patched the castle.xml file using:

make CARRIER=sprint unpack patch

and after editing the file,

make CARRIER=sprint pack

I then copied the resulting .jar file over to downloads and used it as a source to make the change to ignore the model check. In the Makefile:
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1

I ran java -jar build/pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.1.1/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.1.1.jar

It looked like it was going, but then said I was using the wrong Doctor for my hardware. In the terminal, it showed:

Aug 3, 2010 12:50:01 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: token returned by get_token() is : Verizon

Aug 3, 2010 12:50:01 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: WARING: carrierList on the webOS Dr is : sprint and carrierToken on the device is : verizon

Aug 3, 2010 12:50:03 AM com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream waitForReturnCode
    WARNING: Throwing Exception Cmd: file:///sbin/tellbootie
    java.io.IOException: No return code found in stream from file:///sbin/tellbootie
    Aug 3, 2010 12:50:03 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Reboot call complete
    Last edited by ashi; 08/03/2010 at 03:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Rod, is definately the WebOS master, and he's quickly becoming the Pre/Pixi hardware master too. Following his lead, I swapped a Telcel GSM radio board into a Bell Canada CDMA Pre. It worked. Toni Cipriani, are you reading this one? You should be able to do the same with an AT&T Pre Plus radio board. I'm planning to put one of those into a Sprint Pre later this week.
    What to do with these left over CDMA radio boards is going to be the next question ......

TTB
    If anyone is going in the other direction, and putting a CDMA board into a GSM device (e.g. an AT&T Pre Plus), then I would love to get the spare GSM boards to do some further experimentation ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Sorry. If I'd known I could have gotten an AT&T Pre Plus instead. My transfer worked fine.

Know anyone who could use a Sprint Pre with a Verizon board for experimentation? I didn't save the tokens, though I do have the serial number, MEID, and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If anyone is going in the other direction, and putting a CDMA board into a GSM device (e.g. an AT&T Pre Plus), then I would love to get the spare GSM boards to do some further experimentation ...

-- Rod
    Would anyone be interested in this as a service? I have enough spare time to be able to do if there is interest.
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

TTB
    If I'm swapping a board into the AT&T Pre Plus board into a Pre that would be a downgrade... might as well just unlock and use the AT&T Pre Plus.

My friend has one and it works awesome, complete with Canadian catalog.

He's getting tired of it (battery life), maybe I'll buy it off him. I've got lots of Touchstones and batteries.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    My 1.4.5 update worked perfectly for my swapped board Pre Plus, so I think that's not an issue either.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Either this Verizon Pre Plus keyboard isn't so great, or I may have over- or under-tightened something when I put it together. I keep getting skipped or double keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    My 1.4.5 update worked perfectly for my swapped board Pre Plus, so I think that's not an issue either.
    yup mine too, it's been great. I love it. The extra ram really makes the phone so much more enjoyable.
    Awesome..... too bad I don't have the money to throw on a bad ESN Pre Plus or I would be with this. Maybe once we see what the next gen WebOS phone is I'll decide to buy a bad ESN Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    Either this Verizon Pre Plus keyboard isn't so great, or I may have over- or under-tightened something when I put it together. I keep getting skipped or double keys.
    Starting with 1.4 I believe it was, I started having skipped keys on my standard Sprint Pre. I suspect that the fix for select Verizon Pre Pluses that had a double letter issue causes dropped keys for a select few of us when typing too quickly on a Pre with a good keyboard.

I do have the dropped letters on the (originally Verizon) Pre Plus as well as my original day 1 Pre.
    Starting with 1.4 I believe it was, I started having skipped keys on my standard Sprint Pre. I suspect that the fix for select Verizon Pre Pluses that had a double letter issue causes dropped keys for a select few of us when typing too quickly on a Pre with a good keyboard.

I do have the dropped letters on the (originally Verizon) Pre Plus as well as my original day 1 Pre.
    I'm still trying to figure out if my skipped keys are all software related or some software and some me getting more used to the keyboard and typing faster, the more I use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    Sorry. If I'd known I could have gotten an AT&T Pre Plus instead. My transfer worked fine.

Know anyone who could use a Sprint Pre with a Verizon board for experimentation? I didn't save the tokens, though I do have the serial number, MEID, and stuff.
    If you still have this available, I'll take it. Let me know.
    Thanks,
    Barry
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    So I got my Verizon Pre Plus and tried taking it apart, successfully got at the comm board, but now I couldn't get the keyboard bezel to fit again, in particular the two top hooks along the mid section of the phone to latch back into place.

Anyone know how to get them back in?

EDIT: Never mind, I got it back in. Turns out the trick is flex the keyboard bezel like no tomorrow, then slide them in first before snapping the entire bezel in.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 08/15/2010 at 07:53 AM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast