Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Quick question: With the modified Sprint Pre Plus can anyone talk on the phone and use a data connection? I'm not sure if it's possible with Sprint, but I thought Verizon allowed it.
    No, Verizon doesn't support data and voice at the same time either.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Quick question: With the modified Sprint Pre Plus can anyone talk on the phone and use a data connection? I'm not sure if it's possible with Sprint, but I thought Verizon allowed it.
    Short answer: no.

Long answer: This has nothing to do with what is "allowed" or "not allowed." The inability to use data and voice at the same time is a technical limitation of the CDMA networks used in the US (and everywhere else as far as I know). Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA, so they both share this limitation.

To use data and voice at the same time, you need one of 3 things:

a. A GSM network like ATT or T-Mobile.
    b. Two antennas, two radios, and two separate com boards for separate simultaneous CDMA connections, which I've never actually even heard of, but in theory it's possible.
    c. Some 'other' connection for data, like a WiFi connection.
    A quick question... and probably a rather stupid one. I realize the GPS is the same in both the Pre and the Pre+... but is there any carryover in the difficulties Verizon customers have seen with their GPS performance after switching the com board out and flashing to sprint? I believe it is just a software problem... but to tell the truth I haven't paid the least bit of attention because I am not on Verizon and never will be. Any correlation in the problems to the hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    I believe it is just a software problem...
    I believe you are correct, and at least one person has reported that sprint naz and other GPS apps worked fine. I've yet to try this, although I will be trying it just as soon as I find a good deal on a bad ESN plus.
    searching craiglist and ebay now to find the same thing.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Rod and jhoff, thank you for making this possible. On the strength of the instructions in this thread, I went out and purchased a new Verizon Palm Pre Plus off Craigslist.

I followed the excellent instructions here and on the Meta-Doctor page and everything went off without a hitch (or so I thouhgt). I extracted the tokens from the Sprint Pre, built them into the new WebOSDr image, imaged the phone, swapped coms boards (I imaged the phone with the Verizon coms board, then swapped in the Sprint board -- just to be sure that the image would take before breaking out the tools).

Following this I booted the frankenphone and it activated - woohoo! I didn't have an EV logo so I knew that profile sync would fail. A reboot sometimes fixes this so I decided to take the opportunity to flash the phone with the stock Sprint WebOSDoctor. The first attempt failed but I restarted the phone and the computer and the second attempt succeeded -- no complaint about carrier or phone version. Woohoo!

Now the trouble starts. Upon restarting I received more choices than just English and Spanish. This seemed odd because stock Sprint phones would only give me two choices. Soldiering on, I answered English->United States but instead of an "Activation Success" check-mark screen, I got a message that the activation failed and to try again -- I was also given my MEID in hex but interestingly, instead of pointing me to sprint.com/activation, the URL was missing. Retries didn't work. Wiping the phone in all the various ways didn't work either.

I tried a bunch of things -- activating multiple lines on this phone, rebuilding with Meta-Doctor and reflashing with different settings, like setting up WiFi before activation, but whatever I tried I got the same result.

Beaten, I put the Sprint coms board back in the Sprint Pre and it worked right away -- activated, data provisioned, etc.

Can you fellows think of anything I may have gotten wrong? Any suggestions for where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks!
    I have to admit, I'm a little bit stumped on that. Like I mentioned, I did attempt to do things with QPST before the board swap, but that only affects the Veizon radio board as far as I know.

I might have done the meta-doctor to overwrite the tokens with the Sprint board already inside, but again I don't think that would affect anything.

The one thing I can think of at the moment: if you can get to the terminal / novaterm (in dev mode) then you can do a "tokens --list" to make sure they're all showing up properly.

Edit: I did discover last night that the nduid is different. However that hasn't seemed to cause any issues for me so far, and I'm pretty sure that will have nothing to do with your issues so far.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/26/2010 at 08:22 AM.
    I'll be picking up two VZW Plus's to swap my Sprint communication boards into. This modification is easier than I ever imagined it would be, thanks OP!
    Well there goes the cost of a blacklisted pre + though the roof. Lol. I might as well just look for a good used/new one...i'll probably end up paying less. :-)
    So that I am clear on the steps:
    1. Swap com board from Sprint Pre into Pre Plus
    2. Run Meta-Doctor with Sprint Tokens
    3. Restart Pre Plus and you now have 512mb and 16gigs.

Please correct me if I am wrong just wanted to make sure I have the steps down before attempting.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    So that I am clear on the steps:
    1. Swap com board from Sprint Pre into Pre Plus
    2. Run Meta-Doctor with Sprint Tokens
    3. Restart Pre Plus and you now have 512mb and 16gigs.

Please correct me if I am wrong just wanted to make sure I have the steps down before attempting.
    That's pretty much how it worked for me, yeah. I did do another webOS Doctor with an unmodified Sprint one just because I wanted it to be stock. Though you might want to wait and see if the poster above is able to get it to work, and also see what happens when I get a webOS update before spending the money.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    and price of bad esn pres and pixi pluses just jumped
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    jhoff, thanks for the reply. I want to try moving a coms board that's already activated (in this case I was moving an activation to it from another phone). I may not get a chance to try this for a day or two, but I'll report what I find. In the meantime, I'll watch this thread to see if anyone else has success.

BTW: I copied over just the 17 tokens that you listed in your XML excerpt. My tokens folder had 22 files. Were any others important? Also, your XML sample didn't include 'action="overwrite"' on the 'installer' token line. Is that correct?

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Very tempted to do this.

Would a generous soul be willing to doctor their hacked device with an older version of webOS and see if they can download an OTA OS update without issues?

Assuming we aren't getting 1.4.5 in the states for a while longer.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I have successfully placed a Pre rear board (that contains the radio/modem) into a Pre Plus and have it running on my Sprint with no issues.

I changed the carrier token on the device, so I could make a meta-doctor that just ignores the DEVICE but not the CARRIER. This way I was able to keep Sprint navigation etc. and do OTA with no issues.

Loving my Pre Plus on Sprint. I tried the Level 2 route, but they would not budge.

Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    That was me you read that from and that's all i did i was able to doctor it with the sprint rom and it worked it saw the 16 extra gigs automagicley was some hassle to get it activated but all was good the Verizon and Sprint radios have diff firm ware so if you wanted to put your sprint radio board in a verizon pre plus you would have to change the firm ware i have had a verizon pre plus on sprint for a while i also got sick of the verizon logo on the mirror so i swapped it out from a broken sprint pre there is not a lot of difference in the design of the pre and pre plus same slider mech mobo is same size but has the more memory radio board look identical down to the parts and part number just has diff firm ware. I had to use the ## msl number # to set the data and msid numbers as well as the phone number as well all has been fine.

In order to to use the webOS doctor from sprint i have to put it in recovery mode and then was able to get it to work one other side effect is when ever it updates it will down load the verizon rom and have to doctor it back to the sprint so i just block the updates and use doctor to update it when its released.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xibalba View Post
    Well there goes the cost of a blacklisted pre + though the roof. Lol. I might as well just look for a good used/new one...i'll probably end up paying less. :-)
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Got my Pre Plus for $50 and its great shape!
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    jhoff, thanks for the reply. I want to try moving a coms board that's already activated (in this case I was moving an activation to it from another phone). I may not get a chance to try this for a day or two, but I'll report what I find. In the meantime, I'll watch this thread to see if anyone else has success.

BTW: I copied over just the 17 tokens that you listed in your XML excerpt. My tokens folder had 22 files. Were any others important? Also, your XML sample didn't include 'action="overwrite"' on the 'installer' token line. Is that correct?

Thanks again!
    The castle.xml file has the installer / trenchcoat line by default so I left that the same. A couple others I didn't touch, like the accelerometer calibration, sine I wanted that to be accurate to the one in the Pre Plus, and a couple others were already the same I believe.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/26/2010 at 03:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    jhoff,

On a related note - if I move the coms board from one Sprint Pre to another Sprint Pre, is the procedure exactly the same or can I skip some steps?

Thanks!
    Not quite sure on that one. I'd guess you could skip the tokens step though, because it's already a Sprint Pre.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Success!

This time I moved over the coms board from a Sprint phone that was already activated and working. I guess the lesson is not to combine a coms board swap and a phone flip-flop in the same operation.

I wanted to follow this with a WebOSDoctor to an older version, followed by another activation cycle and then an OTA update to see if that would work, but I didn't have time. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens when 1.4.5 is released.

I'll be moving a coms board between two Sprint Pres tonight. I'll post on my success or failure.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast