Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    how do you see drain per hour? My battery might be bad too. Fully charged at work (off charger at 4pm) I'm now at 45% with just using remix, 20 of drpodder, 2 calls and posting this. That seems like excessive drain
    I changed my wifi to sleep, exchange set to manual, no auto notifications for twitter/facebook. Gmail is set to as items arrive
    Last edited by mjpuczko; 07/20/2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: add
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpuczko View Post
    how do you see drain per hour? My battery might be bad too. Fully charged at work (off charger at 4pm) I'm now at 45% with just using remix, 20 of drpodder, 2 calls and posting this. That seems like excessive drain
    I changed my wifi to sleep, exchange set to manual, no auto notifications for twitter/facebook. Gmail is set to as items arrive
    Drain per hour is shown in the Battery Monitor app found in Preware
    give it a week if it doesn't improve, doctor, if it doesn't help then return your device for another one...
    it sounds like you have a bad battery but other than that maybe the battery isnt directly in the battery slot if not then try putting a piece of paper in there, not sure what else to tell you maybe set down screen brightness change email intervals
    Set check email to every 30 minutes. That saved me a ton on battery drain.

ET
    turn off chat. GPS to ondemand only and limit checking of email. Toss facebook app when done (in fact, keep open apps to a min).

Now a question for the experts - does leaving the phone in DEV mode drain battery? (it sounded like from a post above).
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    turn off chat. GPS to ondemand only and limit checking of email. Toss facebook app when done (in fact, keep open apps to a min).

Now a question for the experts - does leaving the phone in DEV mode drain battery? (it sounded like from a post above).
    i always toss facebook/twitter/etc when i'm done. i modified my uberkernal to 720/220 and that seems to be better (this morning anyway). since 6 or 6:30 i've checked twitter/facebook, listened to drPodder for 20 minutes, quick browsed the web & i'm at 87% (with 5% battery drain). way better than yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpuczko View Post
    i always toss facebook/twitter/etc when i'm done. i modified my uberkernal to 720/220 and that seems to be better (this morning anyway). since 6 or 6:30 i've checked twitter/facebook, listened to drPodder for 20 minutes, quick browsed the web & i'm at 87% (with 5% battery drain). way better than yesterday.

What did you change ?
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    What did you change ?
    main things:
    exchange to manual sync
    gmail left at as items arrive
    uberkernel to 720/220 (from 800/500)
    wifi to sleep
    and just now turned gps off/permission only.

also, i just updated prl/network settings. noticed my signal at work/home was 2 bars less than i was getting on my hero. that might've contributed. i was hovering around 1 bar at home/work. now i'm at 4-5 bars at work.
    Last edited by mjpuczko; 07/21/2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: add
    If you are on the 1x network.. your battery will drain very quickly. I don't know if Europe has a non digital network to back down to when there is low GSM signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    If you are on the 1x network.. your battery will drain very quickly. I don't know if Europe has a non digital network to back down to when there is low GSM signal.
    i wasn't really dropping to 1x just not many bars.
    OP, give it two weeks. All batteries need to be broken in, but the ones that Palm ships with the Pre are really, really bad in this respect. When I first unpacked my phone in October, the first full battery charge lasted me two hours just playing around with OS functions and tinkering - and that was without apparently installing an overclock Kernel first thing after opening the box.
    I had a two-hour car ride this weekend and played Dungeon Hunter and Galcon the whole way, left home with 90% battery and arrived at my destination with 40% left - this time WITH UberKernel.

You should try charging your phone overnight every night for a week or two and monitoring your drain using Battery Monitor. Unless your device actually shipped with a defective battery (which happens, and would force you to drive to your store to get a replacement) you should start seeing noticeable gains in that period.

Make no mistake: the Pre is not known as a very battery-friendly machine even as far as Smartphones go, but a properly 'matured' battery should last you a day if you're not irresponsible and having 10 apps open at any time.
    You may consider checking you battery as we found out here
    get the seidio 1350 battery - 39$ at mobilecityonline. Just google "seidio 1350 pre" - an extra 25% is totally worth it if I get a few more hours a day. I also underclock my pre using 250/500 in Govanah with the UberKernel. i.e. 250 when off and 500 max when on. In fact I have 3 profiles, default, powersave and turbo (500/800). I don't normally care for speed, I just want max battery life.
    get the seidio 1350 battery - 39$ at mobilecityonline.
    I would recommend the Mugen 1400, it's only $31.95.

Just google "seidio 1350 pre" - an extra 25% is totally worth it if I get a few more hours a day.
    Where do you get 25% from? The stock battery is 1150 mAh and the Seidio claims to be 1350.

1350 - 1150 = 200. 200/1150 x 100 = 17.39% additional capacity.
    how would you know if your pre is in diag mode or not???
    Did everything get worked out? What was the outcome? Just needed to be broken in? Or bad battery or connection? Or something else?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I will never understand why someone buys a smart phone, is amazed at everything it does, uses it constantly and then comes on here whining about battery life. What further amazes me is someone buying a smartphone, then turning off all the things that make it a smartphone..
    That's basically what I was trying to get to the bottom of. After reading the thread and seeing the conversation was still recently going I wasn't sure if the OP was still experiencing breaking in drain or if it normalized. I know I had experienced high like 8% per hour when I first got mine way back in 06/2009 but that went to about 5% per hour after breaking in. And if I was still using the 1150mAh today it would be about 2% per hour idle. If I have info beyond the before breaking in period I can help at the least understand how much certain things drain the battery and possibly help get more out of it by adjusting usage patterns etc.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I once tried using flight mode and the battery drained really fast as well. I dont know if it was because the phone was fairly new or what. But I went on a flight a little while ago and that did not happen so I wouldnt be worried it should correct itself maybe some heavy processing is going on in the background
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast