1.    #1  
    So, I was wondering if anyone else has made an attempt to have AT&T unlock their Pre+? I called them and explained that every phone I've had on AT&T had been unlocked, that I had SIM cards for my travels in other countries.

1st Rep said she'd get me an unlock code, then I was disconnected.

2nd Rep said that there was a hold on unlocks for 10 months due to exclusivity contract. I asked for a manager who put through a special request, explaining the issue.

I received an email stating I could not unlock the phone due to the 10 months exclusivity.

I wrote back stating that (a) the phone is hardly exclusive given that two other carriers in the US have the phone and (b) their inability to provide me with what I need for a phone seems to be reason enough to cancel my phone without an early termination fees and that given the bad press they've had due to law suits about ETFs, it seems they should be willing to release me. They sent me a link about a law suit for unlocking phones.

Anyone else had any luck getting AT&T to unlock their phone? Can you tell me how to get it unlocked. I'll be traveling at the end of the week and really need to be able to use my other SIM cards.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
  2.    #2  
    Thanks tomi. I shouldn't HAVE To pay for it, though. They should provide me with the service that I've always had with them.

Plus, from what I've seen, you have to have a Windows XP computer to which you have never connected your Pre. I don't.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

you shouldn't 'have' to pay to check a suitcase, but nothing is free... Cheer up, at least you have the option.
  4.    #4  
    I pay AT&T a lot of money per year. Even their giving it to me is FAR from free.

This is when I consider leaving them and going back to T-Mobile, but I like the Pre. I don't want to defect to the new Samsung Android Device.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

atremorer did you able to get the unlock code?
    I got mine the day after buying the phone, 2 days after launch on ATT...although I am on a FAN account, so that may help...
    not that it solves your issue with ATT, but can't you just take one of your older unlocked phones to use if you NEED to use the foreign SIMs next week?
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    I got mine the day after buying the phone, 2 days after launch on ATT...although I am on a FAN account, so that may help...
    when did you get your phone, i think they start not giving unlock codes after the first week of july.
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by levoresume View Post
    when did you get your phone, i think they start not giving unlock codes after the first week of july.
    bought May 17th day after launch (launch was May 16th on ATT) and unlocked on the 18th...
    that's why you were able to unlock it nowadays they don't give you the unlock code...
  11.    #11  
    I was finally able to get the unlock key from AT&T, after threatening to leave. Of course, they sent it while I was out of the country--to the wrong email address. I called back, and the (actually very nice) rep, created a case and had it sent to me again--at the correct address.

I'm kind of amazed that they could get it to the wrong address. I gave it to them, and it's on my account. Ahh well.....

It only took 3 weeks of arguing.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University