Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I'd like a patch that would basically easily allow me to turn the ringer switch to off and also disable notifications when they come in. Does such a patch exist? I like having my phone in my room when I sleep but the light wakes up my wife when I get an email or text. I can turn off the visual notifications manually but it'd be nice if the ringer switch basically turned off all notifications, visible and audible. Thoughts/suggestions?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    That would be Airplane Mode?...
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Well, airplane mode requires more than just flipping the switch over. Also it takes a lot longer to go in and out of airplane mode than to simply turn off notifications. I like having the phone connected but just want the ringer switch to also turn off the visual notifications. It'd be as simple as tying the "Show When Locked" and "Blink Notifications" to the ringer switch - they are on when ringer switch is set to on, and they are off when ringer switch is set to off.
    How about you just flip your pre around so the screen is faceing the table, or whatever u have your pre on, instead of having it facing up.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Well, airplane mode requires more than just flipping the switch over. Also it takes a lot longer to go in and out of airplane mode than to simply turn off notifications. I like having the phone connected but just want the ringer switch to also turn off the visual notifications.
    I'm not sure I follow you. If you want to turn off both audio and visual notifications, what's the point in your phone remaining connected to anything at all?

And switching on Airplane mode is extremely quick... You know you can just swipe down from the main menu (top right, where the battery is), and it's RIGHT there as a menu option?

Also, you might like to investigate Mode Switcher in Preware. That can do things like this automatically depending on time of day, etc. I have it set to turn my ringer off weekdays between 8 and 6 (whilst I'm at work) for example, and set it back on outwith those times. You may find something in there that helps.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    How about you just flip your pre around so the screen is faceing the table, or whatever u have your pre on, instead of having it facing up.
    Much more convenient to just be able to turn off all notifications instead of just audible ones imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you. If you want to turn off both audio and visual notifications, what's the point in your phone remaining connected to anything at all?

And switching on Airplane mode is extremely quick... You know you can just swipe down from the main menu (top right, where the battery is), and it's RIGHT there as a menu option?

Also, you might like to investigate Mode Switcher in Preware. That can do things like this automatically depending on time of day, etc. I have it set to turn my ringer off weekdays between 8 and 6 (whilst I'm at work) for example, and set it back on outwith those times. You may find something in there that helps.
    Still not as quick as flicking a switch. I see your point, but then why do the options "Show When Locked' an "Blink Notifications" even exist? ... because of the reasons I have explained. Since these functions exist already, surely it wouldn't be too hard to tie them to the physical switch. There is a reason why one would want to remain connected while having ALL notifications off. And I have gotten by with simply manually turning off/on notifications for the last while but I think it'd be nice to have all notifications linked to the switch. Hence this thread.

I will also check out the mode switcher, it might have some things I'd like anyways.
    I would be pleased to see the mute switch truly act as a mute like it did on previous Palm products. I find it quite annoying that music will still play through the speaker when I have this switch set, as the previous Palms all muted the phone entirely. Having a hard mute switch doesn't seem nearly as valuable if it doesn't mute EVERYTHING.

Tying in to your request, staeit, it's reasonable to believe a patch or app could be written to handle what the switch affects. It would be wonderful if there were such a patch that would provide a menu of toggles for what would and would not be disabled or enabled depending on that switch setting. I would certainly have everything mute, though I can understand why some people would appreciate having music without ringing. I feel your pain about the screen lighting up -- until I found the Quick System Tasks app, I was putting a sock over my phone at night to keep it dark.

It is ironic, then, that while the music player is playing, even if you have the mute switch on mute, if you've got your phone playing through the headphones or hooked into a stereo, it will still sound off with alerts through that external sound source. This one "feature" makes me question if there was any single principle in mind by the Palm designers regarding the switch's purpose. It seems they haphazardly programmed the switch to do different things without consistency or reason.

There's only so much a touch-screen interface can do, and that's why I don't have a touch-only phone. I cannot ignore nor deny myself use of physical buttons and switches, which are immensely more usable when you're not looking directly at your fingers. A marriage of the two, of physical and virtual controls, is what makes the Palm Pre so delightful. Anything that improves on this marriage is welcome, and I look forward to seeing more such apps and patches.

EDIT: Continuing my slog through search results about the mute switch, aka "ringer switch," I found a thread that does a good job of addressing the audio issue, though it doesn't touch on your problem, staeit.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ce-switch.html
    Last edited by OrlandoAlex; 08/14/2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Educated on the switch and options available.
    Mode Switcher is what you seek.
    Yeah, exactly what NachoB said, Mode Switcher is what you need. You can create a mode that mutes all stock application notifications and turns off blink notifications. The triggers you need to setup will be the Silent Switch and time of day (9pm to 8am?).
    Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoAlex View Post
    I would be pleased to see the mute switch truly act as a mute like it did on previous Palm products. I find it quite annoying that music will still play through the speaker when I have this switch set, as the previous Palms all muted the phone entirely. Having a hard mute switch doesn't seem nearly as valuable if it doesn't mute EVERYTHING.

Tying in to your request, staeit, it's reasonable to believe a patch or app could be written to handle what the switch affects. It would be wonderful if there were such a patch that would provide a menu of toggles for what would and would not be disabled or enabled depending on that switch setting. I would certainly have everything mute, though I can understand why some people would appreciate having music without ringing. I feel your pain about the screen lighting up -- until I found the Quick System Tasks app, I was putting a sock over my phone at night to keep it dark.

It is ironic, then, that while the music player is playing, even if you have the mute switch on mute, if you've got your phone playing through the headphones or hooked into a stereo, it will still sound off with alerts through that external sound source. This one "feature" makes me question if there was any single principle in mind by the Palm designers regarding the switch's purpose. It seems they haphazardly programmed the switch to do different things without consistency or reason.

There's only so much a touch-screen interface can do, and that's why I don't have a touch-only phone. I cannot ignore nor deny myself use of physical buttons and switches, which are immensely more usable when you're not looking directly at your fingers. A marriage of the two, of physical and virtual controls, is what makes the Palm Pre so delightful. Anything that improves on this marriage is welcome, and I look forward to seeing more such apps and patches.

EDIT: Continuing my slog through search results about the mute switch, aka "ringer switch," I found a thread that does a good job of addressing the audio issue, though it doesn't touch on your problem, staeit.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ce-switch.html
    Jason has created a patch called really silent ringer switch that mutes all sounds when the switch is muted lok in Preware
    Yeah the silent ringer patch is mentioned a few times in that thread I linked. I picked it up the moment I learned of it. Thanks for the references guys.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I know this in an old thread, but I just tried Mode Switcher. It worked pretty well, but I could only find settings to turn of blink notifications and sounds. I'm looking for something that will turn off the actual notifications in the notification area as well. Here's the use case: The phone is in a cradle on my car's dashboard, and I am using the phone for Sprint Navigation. It can't be in airplane mode; navigation requires a network connection. I do not wish my passenger to see whatever notification pops up. I can do this by going into messaging and each email account and disabling notifications - but is there a way to do this for all accounts at once? - thanks.
    I set a modifier mode that disabled notifications but I didn't see the option to turn them off for messages and email. You could probably post the request to disable message, email, and calendar notifications in mode switcher.