Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Mobile hotspot is most definitely awesome, right now I am using MHS on my Sprint Pre and am avoiding paying the $19.95 (4 days = $80 savings) daily wifi fee that the Las Vegas hotel that I am staying at charges to use their wifi.
    What kind of speeds are you getting? I had a hard time getting a good MHS connection at the Bellagio in early June. The connection was cutting in and out. When I got back to the room after 1am the connection was ok, at about 800k. The number of bars was ok, 3 or 4, so I don't know why the MHS was spotty. It works great at home.

I've gotten a bit better than this, but usually not much over 1.5 down. This is with 3-4 bars. I've never tested in a perfect full 5 bar area.

Oh, and this was posted from my laptop while connected to MHS.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by evertec View Post
    What free wifi? Every airport I've been to in the past few years charges $5-10 minimum to access the wifi for anything other than flight info.
    Yep that's exactly what I ran into. There was one unsecured wifi access point that wasn't from a service provider like at&t or verizon but it wouldn't let me connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    The question is would it be "FREE" on all carriers? And the answer is a resounding NO!! You can't expect Sprint that is already giving free mobile to mobile to now offer mobile hotspot and for FREE? Sorry but to all the verizon people feeling like their lucky your still paying for it via your high monthly bills.
    Not so fast buddy. I must correct you. I am only paying $71 dollars a month on Verizon. That includes unlmtd Internet, Data, text, pic and video mms.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    What free wifi? Every airport I've been to in the past few years charges $5-10 minimum to access the wifi for anything other than flight info.
    At the Colorado Springs Airport, they've had free wifi for quite a few years. Denver used to have paid wifi, but it is free now.

Colorado Springs Airport - Wireless Internet
    Denver International Airport | Traveler Information | Frequently Asked Questions
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    Yep that's exactly what I ran into. There was one unsecured wifi access point that wasn't from a service provider like at&t or verizon but it wouldn't let me connect.

PHX (Phoenix Sky Harbor), ABQ (Albuquerque Sunport), and SLC (Salt Lake City) all have free wifi.

Unfortunately, PHX currently has Google sponsoring their wifi and the confirmation pages don't work with the Pre. The other two seem to be fine.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    every airport i've been too has free wifi lol, do you live in the states?
    Last I knew, Chicago O'hare had paid wifi. I think it was $10/month- real handy if I'm there for 2 hours. I don't know if that is still the case. I think the trend is towards free wifi.

What really irks me is hotels. If you go to an inexpensive hotel, they give you free wifi and some give you free long distance. If you go to an expensive hotel, they want you to have the "resort experience" and charge you $40 a day for internet. That is where the MHS comes in handy, especially since you can plug it in and don't have to worry about the battery.
    Sea-Tac is free as well.

I agree totally, MHS has come in quite handy several times while on the road.
    Yes, My mistake.... I fall on my sword. Mea Culpa
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoled985 View Post
    every airport i've been too has free wifi lol, do you live in the states?
    I couldn't find any at Washington-Dulles (IAD)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    The question is would it be "FREE" on all carriers? And the answer is a resounding NO!! You can't expect Sprint that is already giving free mobile to mobile to now offer mobile hotspot and for FREE? Sorry but to all the verizon people feeling like their lucky your still paying for it via your high monthly bills.
    You are absolutely correct ... I pay more per month (for 1 less phone, 1/2 the minutes and only 250 texts) than I paid on Sprint for 3 phones, unlimited data, unlimited texts and 1400 minutes.

I most definitely pay for this service. I am still grateful that VZW saw fit to offer it. The only gripe I have is that I have no real-time way to monitor my usage. The website is not real-time by any means and if I want to "cut it close" then I need to have an app preferably on the phone not on the pc that can monitor the pipe while the program is on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Verizon has a bunch of discounts of you work for one of their affiliates, granted it's only 15% off, but it's better than nothing.
    I actually save 25% ... and I still effectively get 1/2 of what I had with sprint (from whom I also saved 25%)
    You guys rock. I've been a quiet member for a long time now and I must say I've learned a lot about how to make my pre a toy, a tool, and a better phone. I never thought I'd need to tether or use a hotspot, but boy does it come in handy for those occasional trips, vacation time and overnighters. Thanks to the pre central community.
    Welcome to PreCentral, quiet member.
    Quote Originally Posted by anifan View Post
    Mobile hotspot is how I managed to convince my mother that a smartphone was a good idea. Good promotion Verizon. I use it to stream Netflix (albeit in small quantities) to my Wii (my house has no WiFi and only craptastic satellite internet) and let my older sister use her laptop at home.
    Bumping this. Someone else asked how you got the Wii to connect but there was no answer. I've read that you have to enable certain ports that the Hotspot app may be blocking, but there's no way to do advance router settings. Anyone have any ideas?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Can someone tell me how to install this? I have WOSQI... and I would like MHS from one pre follower to the next. Oh yea Im on sprint.

N/M: I found the thread and have it installed. Took less the 10 min to do so, but I have no laptop or other device on hand to confirm it works but the app opens fine and seems to be functional. Will try this at home later. thanks.
    Last edited by chichi; 08/09/2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: answered my own question
    I use MHS quite a bit on my Sprint Pre and it works great. I just wish it worked better with my iPad. Browsing around the web, getting e-mail, etc works fine and speed isn't too bad, but once you need to download something, or do something like install an app from the app store it takes forever being choked by only having 128kbps down.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by LouB View Post
    Can't on Sprint Pre you don't have wifi.. you need a Pre+ or Pixi+
    Not true, I have it on my Sprint Pre...
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    That's because IAD is still charging for wifi. That's one of the places I always use MHS.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast