Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I been having this ongoing problem for a couple of weeks now. I was using the camera/camcorder part of the phone one evening. I left the program open, slid the phone closed, and turned off the screen. A few minutes later I slid open the phone only to discover it had turned itself off (or crashed).

Yesterday, I sent a few texts to the wife, swiped up on the gesture bar, and tried to flick Messaging off the screen. It would not flick off, it would just hang out in the "background" position. Pressing the center button would bring it back full screen and pressing the center button again would send it into the background. I could not enter any text and the screen would not register any touches (the water drop animation would not pop in where I touched). Then the phone crashed and turned off completely.

Again, yesterday, after booting the phone back up I turned off the screen and slid it into my holster. 20 minutes later I go to the phone to use it and discover it has turned itself off again (or crashed).

Today I had the phone open and in landscape mode. I launched the web browser and while it was still loading in the background I closed the slider. The phone did a little blink, crashed, and was turned off immediately.

I am running Preware and some patches, but none of the overclocking patches. I have not installed any programs or patches in well over a month at least. About 3 weeks ago I did remove a few free App Catalog programs. I just wish Sprint would hurry the heck up and release webOS 1.4.5 so I can Doctor this phone to a clean, fresh install of 1.4.5. That way I can see if this problem continues on a stock, vanilla install w/o any Preware.

Any ideas on this issue?
    Shut off devmode if its on and try a battery pull to clear the ram.
  3.    #3  
    Done. Let's see how that helps...I hope!

I thought possibly my battery was coming loose. So I left the back off the phone and while it was booting I tapped the battery hard, tried to move it around while in place, and shook the phone to attempt to make it lose contact with the phone. It never lost contact and continued to boot perfectly. Ah, now it's back at the main screen just this moment. I don't think there's any trouble with the battery in contact with the phone.
    everyones palm pre does this spontaniously because of memory overload lol but if you put on a kernel it helps stop this ( well at least it did on my phone) also if you open preware on phone and then open list of everything and type in jstop and download it and activate autocollect garbage and then hit the garbage collect javascript heap every once in a while you should be fine
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    Memory overload after a fresh reboot? I seriously doubt it. And keep in mind I have had this phone since December 2009 and this problem has only arisen during the past two weeks. I also consulted with two friends of mine who have Sprint Pres and they have never had this issue, either.

I should also add I have never had a Too Many Cards error. Ever.
    Last edited by speedtouch; 07/17/2010 at 02:13 PM.
    SPEEDTOUCH
    my pre Pre shuts down randomly too, from 4 months ago when closing the keyboard hard, 8 days ago I read here a advise about false contact in the battery design of the old pre, and I put a "little masking tape " under the "tab" for pull the battery, & now no more shutdown work great
    my att pre did that, I took at back and got a new one, haven't had the problem since... only once has it went off and i believe it's when i closed the slider too hard
    Quote Originally Posted by chacmol View Post
    SPEEDTOUCH
    my pre Pre shuts down randomly too, from 4 months ago when closing the keyboard hard, 8 days ago I read here a advise about false contact in the battery design of the old pre, and I put a "little masking tape " under the "tab" for pull the battery, & now no more shutdown work great
    I had the same issue, and it was the battery issue on my original Pre. I put a little tissue under the battery and never had the issue again. I just got a refurb Pre and it doesn't have this problem.
    I usually have had this problem when I send a text and quickly close my slider, and it crashes and just immediately turns off.

I doctored it and didn't have a problem, but it happened again today but I think it was a one time thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    My first Pre shut down randomly, crashed when I opened the slider when I was running an application, took a solid 5 minutes to power on, battery only lasts 8 hours, oh and the infamous external speaker dying! It only charges to 70% when the phone is powered off and charging. I'm going on my third phone now, this thing is a piece of **** to say the least! Only 16 months to go for my upgrade......
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Sounds like you have a loose battery. I hadld this problem with my Pre. Open and close the slider fast. If the background fades slowly then your battry is defective. I got mine swapped should be swapped under warranty. You can simply also put a piece of folded paper on the top part to make sure the battery does not loose contact during the slide.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    This is a hardware problem not a software one try starting the Pre. Right when it starts and is flashing the Palm logo slide it open and close rapidly. If it crashes immediately (see post above) it will fade slowly. Jam a piece of paper or thin cardboard. I find used movie tickets work well.
  13.    #13  
    Hey folks, thanks for all the replies. I was thinking it could be a battery problem, but I have ruled it out. When I had the case off yesterday I booted up the phone. During that boot process I shook the phone pretty violently, tried to remove the battery with my fingers, opened and closed the slider very hard, and tried to move the battery around in its area with my fingers. The battery never moved and the phone experienced no shutdowns or hiccups.

Another reason why I can rule out a battery is explained in the 2nd paragraph of my first post: "Yesterday, I sent a few texts to the wife, swiped up on the gesture bar, and tried to flick Messaging off the screen. It would not flick off, it would just hang out in the "background" position. Pressing the center button would bring it back full screen and pressing the center button again would send it into the background. I could not enter any text and the screen would not register any touches (the water drop animation would not pop in where I touched). Then the phone crashed and turned off completely."

That was definitely a software issue. If it was a battery problem then the phone would have shut off/reboot instantly, rather than what I experienced. It's now one day after I did a battery pull and I haven't experienced a random shutdown. Who knows if it will happen 10 minutes from now, though.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    everyones palm pre does this spontaniously because of memory overload lol but if you put on a kernel it helps stop this ( well at least it did on my phone)

What kernal & settings do you suggest?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have had this same problem for about 4-5 days now..never had it before, got my pre in JAN.. I have to take out the battery and it takes well over 5 min to power on while it is stuck on the "palm" screen. I notice it the most when i close the slider at certain times and in my pocket.. Hopefully the paper things work but my touchstone cover has a big piece of form keeping the battery in place so i am not sure what it is
    Quote Originally Posted by dylskee View Post
    My first Pre shut down randomly, crashed when I opened the slider when I was running an application, took a solid 5 minutes to power on, battery only lasts 8 hours, oh and the infamous external speaker dying! It only charges to 70% when the phone is powered off and charging. I'm going on my third phone now, this thing is a piece of **** to say the least! Only 16 months to go for my upgrade......
    What? Is your base plan the 69.99? If you have that, you should be able to do yearly upgrade. Thats how I was able to get my Evo. Ohh, well this is all for Sprint of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    What? Is your base plan the 69.99? If you have that, you should be able to do yearly upgrade. Thats how I was able to get my Evo. Ohh, well this is all for Sprint of course.
    With verizon it's called "New Every Two" but my plan allows me to upgrade in 18 months. I just got the phone in March and I'm going on my third phone. My speaker just died again on Friday so I'll be heading back to the store sometime this week to get another replacement! I always take good care of my stuff so it's not like the phones were abused in any way, the quality of this phone is horrible. I'm going to see if they will let me get a different phone but I highly doubt they will let me but I'm going to try. After reading a bunch of threads here I can see this phone will continue to be a problem and I don't want to deal with it if I don't have to.
    Yeah, I've had my pre for about 9 months and it just started doing this about a week ago. I have no "aftermarket" software nor anything modified on it at all(no sense trying to polish a turd). I don't believe it is the battery because it doesn't only happen when I'm sliding or doing anything with it, it has happened when the phone is just sitting on the counter not moving one bit. It happens much more often while sliding closed but that isn't the only time by any means. I've always thought this phone was extremely disappointing compared to the Treo 755 but now it's just ****ing me off and I want to smash it on a rock because it's not just disappointing anymore, it's a complete pile of garbage that I can't even rely on to make and recieve calls because I never know if it's going to be on or off when I pick it up.
    Most cases the culprit is a loose battery. When the stock battery overheats it causes the shape of the battery to distort and not fitting properly and causing the phone to shut down when closing the slider. Some instances the phone will reboot and sometimes the phone has to be turned back on. First thing I would try is placing a folded piece behind the back edge of the battery and then reinserting the battery or you can go to a Sprint store and they will replace the battery for free. My Pre did this and a replacement battery cured the problem. Few months later I purchased a Mugen 1400 battery and have never had this problem occur again.
    Random shutdown problems here, too. Put it into my jeans. Take it out some time later and it's off.
    Take a look at the time, put it to standby, put it on my desk. Some time later when pushing the standby button, it's off again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast