Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It absolutely could be software, but give something else a try. I'm not sure if it's been a problem since the intial Sprint launch Pre that I have, but the batteries weren't quite the right fit. Any time my phone would slide or bump the wrong way, the phone would turn off.

All I did was cut down a business card to size. Enough to fit top to bottom, with a small fold at the top to secure or 'push' the battery towards the contacts. It has solved the problem for me since last June 2009.

I know, it's not a deeply involved fix, but give it a try.

Cheers,

JSJSJS
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    It absolutely could be software, but give something else a try. I'm not sure if it's been a problem since the intial Sprint launch Pre that I have, but the batteries weren't quite the right fit. Any time my phone would slide or bump the wrong way, the phone would turn off.

All I did was cut down a business card to size. Enough to fit top to bottom, with a small fold at the top to secure or 'push' the battery towards the contacts. It has solved the problem for me since last June 2009.

I know, it's not a deeply involved fix, but give it a try.

Cheers,

JSJSJS
    I'll quote myself...sorry, hair trigger reply & had not read other users posts on this. But, if you ever do have a battery problem like that, you have a solution. Hah. Oh, and the bus. card should be 'under' the battery (I wasn't specific).
    do you have SNES emulator?
    I had this problem on my bell mobility right from the start (about 2 months ago). I came in here and took the advice about shimming the battery with a peice of paper and it greatly reduced the problem. Changing to the latest Uberkernal has pretty much eliminated it!

... I have the SNES emulator and have not had any problems with crashinng since running it (though I barely use it)
    It's not a loose battery problem. Sliding it in and out doesn't cause the shutdowns. Neither does smashing it on my palm with all sides. I don't have SNES emulator either.
    Quote Originally Posted by prenode View Post
    It's not a loose battery problem. Sliding it in and out doesn't cause the shutdowns. Neither does smashing it on my palm with all sides. I don't have SNES emulator either.
    Are you sure it's not the battery? You probably know about the sudden shutdown syndrome because of an ill battery.
    I got my Pre replaced because of ghost touches. It is now the same battery I had in my old Pre. The old Pre didn't have these random shutdowns, so I don't think it's the battery.
    I can attest that this is not necessarily related to the battery or slider. This issue happened to my girlfriends Pixi Plus and I did a full reset/erase and doctored it to no avail. She returned it for a replacement and hasn't had problem since.

So there you go.
    Still got these problems. Alarm didn't get off this morning, overslept. Going to get it replaced again.
    I've had the same problem and this is how you fix it Take out battery and hold the Power button down for 15 seconds and after 15
    seconds replace battery and your problem is solved
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    It seems that it worked.
    This is my first post on precentral, but I feel compelled to share what i know about this problem. The sliding keyboard problem causes the phone to shutdown but that's a connection issue with the battery or on the board. My phone only shuts down while using the Mugen aftermarket battery I purchased a year ago. It only started happening about 2 months ago, but for the last month I have used only the OEM battery and the phone nev er shutdown. Today I tried the Mugen battery again and have had 3 random shutdowns in less than 12 hours. I tried wedging some paper in between the battery and the phone to make it more snug, but it still reset. I think it's an internal battery problem, but I'm going to try the fix recomended by fictiondictation as well as Shadavis08 "jstop" garbage collection fix. I also plan on using "Dr. Battery" to fully drain and recalibrate the Mugen battery. I'll let you all know if any succeed which will be evident in one day of using the Mugen battery without shutdown. Also, the external battery wall charger I bought for $5 is F---ING AWESOME. For the last 8 months I always had a fully charged backup battery with me which allowed me to play a game, surf the web, have hour long conversations, without wires or dead batteries. I even recharge it with a 12v inverter in my car while on long trips. It made the phone 10 x more functional and available without worrying about missing a call while recharging. I'm you all hate the 3-4 minute startup time this phone needs, but with a fully charged battery you can swap the batteries while the phone is plugged into the wall without restarting. I highly recommend it.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    My wife's Pre+ has been shutting down on its own 2 or 3 times a week for the past month. While doing the battery pull/power button fix listed above I noticed a small pad sitting on the surface above the battery compartment. I removed my Pre+ battery cover and saw that on my Pre there were two pads mounted inside the battery compartment on the top edge between the battery and the compartment. It looks like they are meant to apply pressure on the battery and keep it from moving around in the compartment.

I located the other pad in my wife's Pre (stuck to the battery) and placed both of them in the same position as mine. This was several days ago and we have not had a shutdown since.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    I don't quite understand where I'm supposed to place the paper to stop the Pre shutting down randomly, any pics?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12