1.    #1  
    Other than the appearance issues, what is the worst case scenario if the usb crack spreads across the screen? Does it fall apart? Does the screen stop working? Will it affect any of the functions of the phone? Does anyone know just what happens?
    Yup. Thats whats gonna happen in a couple of months. Crack is gonna spread to the screen, but the screen will keep working
    Quote Originally Posted by preforme View Post
    Other than the appearance issues, what is the worst case scenario if the usb crack spreads across the screen? Does it fall apart? Does the screen stop working? Will it affect any of the functions of the phone? Does anyone know just what happens?
    I would advice you to replace the unit now, before it get any worse.
    I tried my best to stop my USB crack by drilling into it. Apparently I didn't go deep enough... The crack is passed the drill hole and is now at the edge of my screen. It's only a matter of time now.
    I had the same problem about three months ago and I faced the grim situation like a man. I analyzed the situation and realized I had but a few options. First, I could commit hari kiri, second, wait until it got worse and the phone became useless, third, exchange it for a new one, and fourth, pray. I did them in reverse order; I prayed but nothing happened. Then, I determined to commit hari kiri, but because I was not sure of the spelling I passed on that. I then waited until it got worse, which it did. Finally, I exchanged it for a new one just before the phone became useless. There may be other options but they escape me.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    There may be other options but they escape me.
    You failed to mention the option of hitting it with a sledge hammer and putting it out of its misery. Understandable though. That's a very drastic option and should only be contemplated as the very last resort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    You failed to mention the option of hitting it with a sledge hammer and putting it out of its misery. Understandable though. That's a very drastic option and should only be contemplated as the very last resort.
    I thought of that but as a peacekeeper I have to avoid harmful thoughts and actions. Very difficult though.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    I thought of that but as a peacekeeper I have to avoid harmful thoughts and actions. Very difficult though.
    You are absolutely right! My bad!
    Mods, please remove my last post before I get kicked out of the organization for "conduct unbecoming a PreCentral Peacekeeper"
    Saved. But that got a little scary there for a moment. But you're ok now.
    You'll be fine if you just tap it gently with said sledgehammer,
    i think!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    You'll be fine if you just tap it gently with said sledgehammer,
    i think!
    What a great option. Just have to make sure it is a loving tap with no animosity involved. Hope the OP reads these great solutions.
    Ive heard mixed reports on this... some people have said the screen continued working just fine after running over it with a heavy shopping cart and having a crack that went completely across the screen. and others that said it call goes to pot with just a little one.

Its kind of up to you whether you want to replace the phone or live with it. I managed to crack a screen pretty badly by shutting it in a rental car trunk one day... and it continued to work perfectly... but the outer plastic wasn't what cracked, it was something inside on the screen itself... looked terrible.but didn't affect functionality. I took replace it because even though it didn't affect my ability to use the device in any way, it was a constant aggravation to see all those weird lines running around all over the place in the screen.
    I drilled a hole (make sure the diameter of the hole is big enough--maybe 1mm) and then melted the plastic w/ a soldering iron for extra insurance. Crack hasn't spread. I posted this in a thread a couple months ago:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...ort-fixed.html
    Went to a local Sprint store and showed them this was a common problem. I printed out a few websites with pictures of the USB door crack. My phone was still within warranty.

They looked at the phone then said they would call back in a couple of days.

They agreed to replace the phone but told me they were not admitting this was a known defect. OK, whatever.

Good luck.