1.    #1  
    It was working just fine and when I picked it up (after it having been on the counter for MAYBE a half hour), it was just dead. It had been fully charged but regardless, it would not even turn on when I plugged it in. It was just DEAD. Black, nothing else. This was, of course, three days after the 30 day warranty.

I was on vacation at the time so I brought it to the nearest Verizon which was just a dealer, not an actual Verizon store. The guys there couldn't do a thing for it either - they thought it was odd and told me I needed to bring it to an actual Verizon store. That was at about 2 pm and around midnight when I pulled the phone out, it was on - it just showed that the batter was dead and needed to be changed. So I charged it over night and the next morning it worked fine, like nothing had ever happened.

So the following week (still on vacation, but now in NJ and near a mall), I bring it to a Verizon store. They tell me that is is considered "DOA" and I can get a new one because it is still under some other warranty that lasts a year (??). However, they have none in stock. Being on vacation and needing phone, and since this one WAS currently working, I decide to wait until I get back home to deal with it - and hope that it doesn't happen again.

So now I'm back and I just got back from my local Verizon store. The woman there told me "These things happens with smartphones. All smartphones. Just take the battery out and it will be fine. It happens to my Pixi about once a week." She also said there was no reason to get a new (or "new") one since it would happen to any phone.

First of all, I've never heard of such a thing. Is this true? And if so, it's sort of ridiculous. And also, it hasn't happened since! So this "once a week" thing seems absurd. At the time it happened, I couldn't get the battery off and didn't want to break it trying - so I never tried that. Neither did the morons working at the Verizon dealer, so I have no idea if that would have fixed it, but it seems it would have (I guess?).

Soooo...anyone had this happen? I'm really not a tech person at all (in case you couldn't tell ) but my husband is a programmer and he had never heard of such a thing either...He's also one of those annoying iPhone 4 groupies so he just craps on any other phone, pretty much.
    wait, so the one rep said it was dead and you needed a new one but didn't have one in stock.... Did he try and get you into a different phone, over a dead battery?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    wait, so the one rep said it was dead and you needed a new one but didn't have one in stock.... Did he try and get you into a different phone, over a dead battery?
    He did, but he just took my word for it that it happened. The phone was working fine when I went to the actual Verizon store. the reason I wanted another is because I just can't have this happen again - I've got no land line.
    yea this happens to me constantly the phone doesn't die the screen just blacks out for a few seconds I usually just hold down the power button for about 60 seconds or open the slider and press the button on the middle but yours doesn't have this feature so i would suggest the first option
    Yes, it is ridiculous. It has happened to a few people, there have been a few other posts on here about it, but it is definitely not normal.

It could be a problem with the phone, or the battery is too lose, it can be very hard to say. Some people have solved it by having the battery replaced or just putting a small piece of paper in to hold it in place tighter.

I would definitely take it and make someone look at it and figure it out.

The warranty they were referring to is the manufacturer's one from Palm, it covers defects in the phone for the first year.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by youngusaplaya View Post
    yea this happens to me constantly the phone doesn't die the screen just blacks out for a few seconds I usually just hold down the power button for about 60 seconds or open the slider and press the button on the middle but yours doesn't have this feature so i would suggest the first option
    OK, I have that happen at times too - THAT is annoying as well. But this was a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Yes, it is ridiculous. It has happened to a few people, there have been a few other posts on here about it, but it is definitely not normal.

It could be a problem with the phone, or the battery is too lose, it can be very hard to say. Some people have solved it by having the battery replaced or just putting a small piece of paper in to hold it in place tighter.

I would definitely take it and make someone look at it and figure it out.

The warranty they were referring to is the manufacturer's one from Palm, it covers defects in the phone for the first year.
    OK, good idea, This makes me feel a little better but it's still so lame.
    Sounds like you were dealing with VZW's finest! Haha. I know this can be frustrating. I got the same run-around from Sprint with my first Pre (I'm on VZW with a Pre Plus now). Would it hurt these carriers to offer some training to their workers?
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the helpful post.
    I have an ATT pre plus and my first one would randomly shut off. I'd leave it alone and when I'd look at it, it would be turned off and I would have to turn it back on... I just took mine back and got a new one. My new one hasn't done that. The only thing it's done is shut down after ive closed the slider too hard once (im guessing the battery popped out of place) so i pulled the battery and it turned on and that was just one time. This new one also has a slight screen defect too but other than that, I've just said to hell with it, this one is workin fine so I'll deal with the minor issues.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Device: Verizon Palm Pre Plus

WebOS 1.4.1.1

Uberkernal Kernal: 1.4.1-58

Background: Allowed battery to go to critical and force a Pre shutdown.

Result: Large battery Icon with lightning bolt thru it and red bar at bottom when attempting a recharge. Occasional AC plug icon.

Attempts at correction:

Subsequent charging using a) USB/Computer b) AC Charger. Many times. Different computers. Went online with Palm. They informed me that battery bad or unit defective. Told to go to Verizon to swap out battery to see if that is a fix, if not get back to them to open a ticket for a return for warranty repair. (Unit still under Warranty)

Verizon store offered to send a Warranty replacement. I asked if they tried a new battery. They said that Pre batteries could not be removed. I informed them that it could and I showed them how. They "Tested" unit and then came back to say that they would ship a replacement unit to me. (They said the replacement would not include a new battery.) I asked if they swapped out the battery. Told they had no batteries, but if I wanted they would ship a new battery to me, and if the Pre still did not work they would replace it. Took the offer, went home.

Home: Went online. Found solution:

Per Posts here pulled battery x6. Used AC recharger between each time with push of "on" button. On last try Luna restart began. Pre is now whole. Battery icon shows critical low level. Now charging.

Weird stuff. The average consumer if faced with this scenario cannot come away with a positive feeling about the Pre.

Hope this helps others.
    I have 2 shutdowns - i.e display black, no responses when plug in USB or charger, only one clue- back of the phone gets very hot.
    Obvious solution - pull battery and let it cool for 3 min. Works afterwords. Did not go to anybody.