1.    #1  
    So I'm watching the stream of the Apple press conference on engadget, and Jobs was talking about how Apple saw a shift to software as the most important concept in smartphones before they came out with the iPhone. Then he said that others were good at making software, "like Palm." Obviously I'm not there and I haven't seen a video of it, but this struck me as a little curious. I'm interested in seeing how he said this and in one context. It could actually be interpreted as a compliment to have mentioned them like that. A recognition that Palm was a leader back in the day, perhaps?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I think they are talking about WebOS since Apple was looking to purchase Palm. WebOS Rocks, but maybe I'm biased....
    What time in the stream abouts did it happen?

never mind

its at 11:22 am, just do a ctrl+f palm on the website http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/l...ss-conference/
    There are four lights.
    Time and transcript here:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...palm-bone.html

In MY thread dangit!
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Time and transcript here:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...palm-bone.html

In MY thread dangit!
    I saw your thread first scuba_steve, but yours was actually started 3 minutes after this one. Better luck next time.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Wow, Steve Jobs just admitted that Palm makes good software during the 'anntenagate' conference...

"And we're pretty good at making software, we showed that in the iPod... other people are good at it too, like Palm, but we brought great software to the smartphone space"

Of course, he's probably just thinking, "that's because half their staff came from Apple". So it's still a self-serving compliment.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    That is awesome. I had missed that in his speech. I must say I'm glad to see Apple stepped forward and did the right thing (free bumper cases).
    Hey Rlopin, you beat me to the forum. I was just about to post the same crap. I can't believe Steve Jobs actually gave a shout out to Palm and how they develop good software as well. Here is the whole answer he gave:

11:22AM Q: You released a software update for the iPhone about two years ago which improved the signal. You say now you've got a long-standing bug that doesn't show the right bar data. Can you square those two things?
    Steve: Well let me say something about Apple. We didn't want to get into any business where we didn't own or control the primary tech, because if you don't the people who do own it will beat you. Our big insight about 8 years ago, was that it was going to shift from big displays or optical pickup heads, or radios being the most important component, we thought it was going to be software. And we're pretty good at making software, we showed that in the iPod... other people are good at it too, like Palm, but we brought great software to the smartphone space. We've been able to create and distribute major updates to this software since the iPhone was released, and we've made the product better and better for free. Everyone is copying us now, but we were the first ones to do it. To answer your question, the formula we use the calculate bars has been off since the beginning, and the new update fixes that for the iPhone 4, 3G, and 3GS... I don't know if I understand the other part of your question?
    And I even searched first. Guess it took me longer than three minutes to type and format.
    <<threads merged>>
    Steve Jobs sought to portray the weakness in the iPhone 4's antenna as an issue that affects all mobile phones, but Consumer Reports said on its Electronics Blog: "We also tested several other AT&T phones the same way, including the iPhone 3G S and the Palm Pre. None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4." The Apple fix is to give a free bumper case (Apple valued at $29.00) is a lazy patch job. In a statement released shortly after the press conference ended, Consumer Reports described Apple's move: "Providing free bumpers and cases is a good first step toward Apple identifying and finding a solution for the signal-loss problem of the iPhone 4." The bumper case has some issues of its own according to reviews. It doesn't allow easy access to the silent switch and some non apple accessories will not be able plug into the phone with the cover on. There is also the issue of giving away a bumper case will have a detrimental effect on the iphone aftermarket case makers ability to compete. I hope Apple takes this issue to the next level and backs up their reputation of marketing the highest quality equipment on the planet.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 07/16/2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    [...]
    Of course, he's probably just thinking, "that's because half their staff came from Apple". So it's still a self-serving compliment.
    Yeah, I thought the same.
    Are we that short on self esteem that we jump up and down when Steve Jobs compliments Palm at a news conference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Personally, I was insulted by his comment. He COULD have said that webOS is "awesome" and "magical" but noooooo, he said "good" instead.

how dare he?.
    HAHA. I love the sentiment.
    I think it's a swipe at Google Android...
    sounds like apple is going to make the phone look like it has good signal when it really doesnt. why else would they make that patch?
    what software has jobs ever created? Hmm?