Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    bought myself a slightly used (in great shape) palm pre on ebay wed. patiently waiting for it to arrive! (currently have the sprint hero, rooted with a custom rom, but wanted to play with webOS). been reading this forum looking for things to do when i get the pre. so excited to use webOS.
    Welcome! My brother also has a Hero and he has mentioned to me several times his next phone will be a webOS phone. You've come to the right place.
    I think if you're capable enough to play around with custom ROMs you'll feel right at home with WebOS. Although we don't really have custom ROMS (but there are custom kernels!), with all the patching and customizing you can do I find no end of tinkering to try Welcome!
  4.    #4  
    i was wondering how easy it is to root (stupid ?: do i have to root to overclock to 720/800). seems like overclocking doesn't cause many issues.
    i'm quite comfortable w/ the hacking. i had an iphone, jailbroke that. i rooted my old t-mo dash (windows mobile) and now my hero. never had one issue doing so!
    Super easy. See my signature. Enter dev mode and connect your Pre to a PC running webOS Quick Install and you're golden!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpuczko View Post
    i was wondering how easy it is to root (stupid ?: do i have to root to overclock to 720/800). seems like overclocking doesn't cause many issues.
    i'm quite comfortable w/ the hacking. i had an iphone, jailbroke that. i rooted my old t-mo dash (windows mobile) and now my hero. never had one issue doing so!
    You don't need to do this, you are the root user by default. When you use terminal programs that you can use to open the command line in your phone your listing as 'root@palm-webos-device' with you starting directory as the /var/home/root/....... it really doesn't get more open than that. No need for additional users as you ARE the SU.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    You don't need to do this, you are the root user by default. When you use terminal programs that you can use to open the command line in your phone your listing as 'root@palm-webos-device' with you starting directory as the /var/home/root/....... it really doesn't get more open than that. No need for additional users as you ARE the SU.
    ha, yeah. suppose i should've looked around before asking about the root stuff! i just read the root thread on here. i'm making a list of programs i want ;-)
    so excited. i love playing with new gadgets!
    ha, yeah. suppose i should've looked around before asking about the root stuff! i just read the root thread on here. i'm making a list of programs i want ;-)
    so excited. i love playing with new gadgets!
    download WebOS Quick Install, enter in the "Konami code", reboot, enjoy...
    Welcome to the forums.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Welcome to PreCentral and webOS. Another good option is to install Preware, which once installed will allow you to install homebrew apps, patches and even kernels OTA with out the need to connect to a computer. You can get it here: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Welcome! I hope everyone here can help you with all your problems! We are always here!!
  12.    #12  
    got my pre this morning (it's in great shape for being used & bought on ebay!). installing preware right now. up next, overclock to 800mhz (not quite ready for the 1ghz or 1.5!!that's out now). gotta say, after just playing around for a few hours today, webOS is quite awesome.
    Yay! Glad you got your Pre and it's in good shape. I got mine from an Ebay seller 2 weeks ago and just love it.
    bought myself a slightly used (in great shape) palm pre on ebay wed. patiently waiting for it to arrive! (currently have the sprint hero, rooted with a custom rom, but wanted to play with webOS). been reading this forum looking for things to do when i get the pre. so excited to use webOS.
    welcome ! have fun and hack away !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15.    #15  
    overclock working fine so far (hard to tell about battery life since all i've done is mess around with stuff.) any questions i've had, easily found by searching here or google (i always search before asking-good habit i learned on xda forum years ago while hacking my winmo phone!)
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    welcome! Friendly reminder to search the forums before posting a question. Keep us posted on your feelings on webos
  17.    #17  
    after only 1 day of use, i think it's my fave OS so far. i've used iphone (not the new os though), android (1.6-2.2), winmo & blackberry. webOS is by far the most elegant. just getting used to everything.
    and don't worry, i'll always search first. i like doing that!
    Hi mjpuczko, and Welcome to the P|C forums and your new addiction!
    I totally agree with your description of webOS - elegant! You are in for a fantastic experience. Enjoy the new phone and welcome to the site!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi mjpuczko, and Welcome to the P|C forums and your new addiction!
    I totally agree with your description of webOS - elegant! You are in for a fantastic experience. Enjoy the new phone and welcome to the site!
    fellow packer fan i see ;-) that's a good enough sign for me
    Welcome, every thing you need to know about your pre you can find in the forums. I'm a novice at all of the hacking but have done quite well because of the precentral community. Have fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast