Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Pre is under waranty for only 25 more days. My screen keeps locking up in sleep mode and staying black until I pull the battery. Aside from that my usb port is acting up. It isnt my charger (I tried another one) it keeps beeping the battery charging sound but then the battery doesnt always charge. Beeping like every minute or two. When I hook it to the comp it often times wont connect. So. I called Sprint last night and they want me to take it into a store (Im going tomorrow morning) and most likely have it replaced. Ive read on here many times that that will be a referb phone which scares me. Aside from these two issues my Pre works perfectly! The first few months with it were pure hell but with the updates/patches its so nice now. I keep debating. The battery I could use my Centro to charge. The screen pulling the battery does work to fix it but for how long? The usb to the comp is a problem for sure. If I dont take another one I just know on day 26 the thing is going to drop dead on me and then Im stuck. How bad can a referb really be and how can I check it in the store to make sure it isnt pure garbge? Thanks.

Melissa
    Refurbs are simply phones that have had defective parts removed and new parts put in place. The phone is not simply one piece of carved plastic; it is a combination of many different pieces that are plugged in together.

If the keyboard is defective in a phone, the old keyboard is taken out and a brand-new one is put in. If the screen is messing up, the old screen is taken out - you get the picture. And the outer case is always replaced, so that you are not touching somebody else's phone, as are all heavy-use items (sliders, jacks, etc.)

If you think of it like a car, if the engine, headlights, and seatbelts are fine but the air-conditioner is broken, the A/C would be taken out and a new one put in - the rest of the car is left alone. (I know that's not an exact analogy, but the point is that just because your air is bad doesn't mean that the engine will go out.) It is more cost-effective for a company to take give you another phone and take the time to find out what's wrong with your old one at their leisure than to have you sit in the waiting room while they try to track down what happened.

I have had lots of refurbished phones/computers/electronics through the years, and they are no worse (or better) than the originals. You can always find people who will tell you how the refurbished phone they got was a lemon, while those who are happy with their refurbish (who got the lime?) don't speak up.

Hope this helps - refurbs are not bad. They actually save you money, since without them Palm/Sprint would have to charge you more for brand new phones all of the time.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks very much for that info. I feel a little better about it now. My debate on waiting is over since it just took me over 2 hours to get it to connect to my comp so I could get all my pics out. Very annoying!

Melissa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Refurbs are simply phones that have had defective parts removed and new parts put in place. The phone is not simply one piece of carved plastic; it is a combination of many different pieces that are plugged in together.

If the keyboard is defective in a phone, the old keyboard is taken out and a brand-new one is put in. If the screen is messing up, the old screen is taken out - you get the picture. And the outer case is always replaced, so that you are not touching somebody else's phone, as are all heavy-use items (sliders, jacks, etc.)

If you think of it like a car, if the engine, headlights, and seatbelts are fine but the air-conditioner is broken, the A/C would be taken out and a new one put in - the rest of the car is left alone. (I know that's not an exact analogy, but the point is that just because your air is bad doesn't mean that the engine will go out.) It is more cost-effective for a company to take give you another phone and take the time to find out what's wrong with your old one at their leisure than to have you sit in the waiting room while they try to track down what happened.

I have had lots of refurbished phones/computers/electronics through the years, and they are no worse (or better) than the originals. You can always find people who will tell you how the refurbished phone they got was a lemon, while those who are happy with their refurbish (who got the lime?) don't speak up.

Hope this helps - refurbs are not bad. They actually save you money, since without them Palm/Sprint would have to charge you more for brand new phones all of the time.

Thanks for the info - and that's interesting. I didn't realize the outer casing was replaced when a Palm phone is refurbed. I got a refurb one time that was cracked, so that must have happened in transit and must not have been caused by the previous owner.
    you won't be able to tell a refurb from new...

refurb is not the same as used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

There are some differences. Almost all the refurbs i've gotten have some dead pixels. Not a deal breaker, but definitely noticeable. Also, refurbs sometimes already have the "oreo-effect" and bad power button problems starting to appear when you get them. Also, make sure you keep your battery. The one's that come in a refurb could be unreliable.

That being said, if you get a crappy refurb, I'm sure it won't be an issue to get another.
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.
  7.    #7  
    My main fear is all of the problems I had when I first got my Pre. IM was the biggest issue. Its so smooth now for me but I still know people who cannot connect to Yahoo at all. I use it quite a lot. Thats something I can test in the store. My slider is slightly loose but not nearly as bad as others Ive seen. Again I can check that at the store. Ill get through it. Im traumatized having my laptop in the repair shop for over 2 weeks now already! Dont mess with my Pre! lol
  8.    #8  
    I dont even know what dead pixels are. How will I know if it has that issue? A stupid question that will leave many shaking their heads lol but honestly I have no idea.

Another question: Will I just be able to sign in on my Palm profile and get back all of my apps? Just like it happens when you dr the phone?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I just activated my refurb that Asurion (insurance) sent me after I destroyed my Pre. It looks brand new. Although I was very p!ssed to pay $100 for a refurb. I have since cancelled my $7/month insurance. Seems silly to be $7/month for a year, then pay $100 for a refurb. I can buy a used phone on ebay for less. Or alot cheaper with a contract for a brand new phone.
  10.    #10  
    Because Im still under waranty do I have to pay? Not until my waranty is over correct? I too get the $7 a month insurance for both mine and my husbands phone and have often thought about dropping it. Im queen of "just in case" though so just in case I need it I keep it! lol

Melissa
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    I dont even know what dead pixels are. How will I know if it has that issue? A stupid question that will leave many shaking their heads lol but honestly I have no idea.

Another question: Will I just be able to sign in on my Palm profile and get back all of my apps? Just like it happens when you dr the phone?
    I wouldn't worry about dead pixels. It's rare.
    Yes you can simply sign in.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Because Im still under waranty do I have to pay? Not until my waranty is over correct? I too get the $7 a month insurance for both mine and my husbands phone and have often thought about dropping it. Im queen of "just in case" though so just in case I need it I keep it! lol

Melissa
    True, you will get a free new phone with the warranty. I've been down that road too. Sprint was real good about getting me a new one. I went into a Sprint Store with my Pre when the camera app wasn't working. The guy walked to back and brought out a boxed Pre.

Insurance is useful until the phone becomes cheaper on ebay, amazon, etc

Melissa
    If the issue isn't due to accidental damage, you don't have to pay.

Also, it is probable that the store will not have one in and they will have to order a refurb for you. Although you may get lucky and get a new one!
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM

Melissa
    The Sprint TEP warranty has two parts. The first part extends the manufacturer warranty against defects and normal wear and tear, Sprint will replace the phone at no cost to you in this case (other than the $7 per month). The second is for loss or damage, keep in mind that the manufacturer warranty does NOT cover this, for this you must pay either a $50 (feature phones) or $100 (smartphones).

I would much rather pay $100 to get a refurb than get an ebay phone myself.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
  15.    #15  
    Ok good good. I cant imagine its damage on my part but who knows. Im going to run to the store this afternoon now that my battery is almost totally dead and see how it goes. Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    I have since cancelled my $7/month insurance. Seems silly to be $7/month for a year, then pay $100 for a refurb. I can buy a used phone on ebay for less. Or alot cheaper with a contract for a brand new phone.
    refurb != used phone

refurbs are provided by the insurance company and are (supposed to be) in like new condition. If something is wrong, you send it back and another will come.

used phones are buyer beware -- if something is wrong with it, tough luck, go buy another used phone, repeat until you find a good one.

Obviously the used phones are not that bad as I have made them out, but I am just pointing out that you don't get nothing for that $7/month.
    Refurbished phones are rarely 'like new'. The sliders and the chasis are pretty much never replaced, if you look at the bezel of a refurb it almost always has nicks and scratches. The screen and back cover always look new in my experience though. Check out this thread...

//forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/243555-saw-post-somewhere-about-replacement-pres-now-being-new-not-refurbs-true.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

Simply not true, at least with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

refurbs are provided by the insurance company and are (supposed to be) in like new condition. If something is wrong, you send it back and another will come.
    Mikey, this is true, but what if you have to send back three in a row, like I did on Sprint? Seems to defeat the purpose of a refurb if you ask me. That's why I demanded a new Pre finally, and when Sprint balked, I left their service.
    Refurbs used to be an abomination. Then they were hit-or-miss. I think now there's a good chance if you get one it'll be solid.

My wife just had her's replaced with a refurb and the keyboard is very good and the slider isgreat....no oreo and it's tight and smooth. All else seems to function normally.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast