Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My original Pre went haywire a couple of weeks ago. I have changed my phone for the 5th time last week. All had some issue, lasting maybe a week at best. The Refurbs suck in my opinion. Palm is fortunate I really love the WebOS Software or I'd be in an Andriod by now.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I just replaced mine (#8) and the the screen had "waves" in the plastic so it made the screen look fuzzy, so i now have #9 on the way. My roommate is on her 3rd or 4th (exchanged at the same time as my last one) and her's is great. So its hit or miss.
    On a positive note, the refurb I received looked just like new. I tested by dialing ##786# (mabye) for manufacture date which showed last August. Therefore I assumed refurbished, could've been new and in inventory.

Whatever, it was tighter, keyboard much better, absolutely no problems. I therefore have absolutely no problem. Yes, I was skeptical after reading these forums, because I believe the complainers write in, the happy customers don't.
  4.    #84  
    Wow. Its amazing some of the problems people have had and Ill be quite honest and say it scares me to death! That being said my next replacement is "out for delivery" via UPS this morning and should be here before noon if my guy is on time. Im going to set the whole thing up outside where I have the best service (an idea from a Sprint rep) that way any issues cant be blamed on service problems. Right now Im just crossing everything that the thing works and I get all of my paid apps back since they were MIA in my last attempt at loading my Palm profile. If I dont Ill be back to post and find out what to do about that as I have a lot of games that my kids play all the time and I paid for them so I want either them back or a credit so I can pay for them again. Thank you everyone for the invo/experiences - good and bad. I appreciate it! Ill be back once the phone gets here and is (or is not) working and I can once again put this Blackberry (no dig against Blackberry I do love it but it simply aint a Pre) back in my desk until the next phone crisis.

Melissa
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteM143 View Post
    My original Pre went haywire a couple of weeks ago. I have changed my phone for the 5th time last week. All had some issue, lasting maybe a week at best. The Refurbs suck in my opinion. Palm is fortunate I really love the WebOS Software or I'd be in an Andriod by now.
    I kinda felt that the other day when the first referb was such trash. I thought here I am with an upgrade just waiting so why am I not using that for something else and saying forget this phone? Then I used it for two seconds and realized just how much I love WebOS and the thought vanished as quickly as it came.
    I had a launch day pre that I had replaced a couple months ago due to the ear speaker going out. I was given a refurb by sprint and the only minor problem seems to be that the wifi signal is weak.

This was my 1st experience with a refurb and I have no complaints.
    I just had to order a refurb through Asurion via TEP on Sprint. THe screen cracked around the bottom gesture area somehow. I think it must be due to some excessive pressure but I'm not sure. Hopefully the refurb is OK. I'll post in this thread to report my experiences...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm headed to the Sprint store to have my 4th Pre replaced in a year. Each has been a refurb unit. The failures have been.
    1) Random reboots due to battery not fitting properly (original Pre)
    2) Burn on screen
    3) Non-functional ringer mute switch (out of box failure)
    4) Defective screen
    Obviously I am not happy with the hardware.

In each case I have to say that the cure was better than the disease. Just wish my phone would stop "getting sick."

Love the software, disappointed in the hardware.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Sprint gives us a figure on the failure rate of new phones versus refurb phones.

Failure rate of new phones: 14%
    Failure rate of refurb phones: 7%

You have to think of it like this. When a phone is shipped brand new, it's been anonymously cranked out of a manufacturing plant just like thousands before and thousands after. When a phone is refurbed, each phone is given individual attention. Defective parts are swapped out, outer cases are put on, and the phone goes through a rigorous series of checks and inspections. For my money, I'd rather have a phone somebody spent some time on.

Yeah you could get a bad refurb one, but its more likely that you'll get a bad new one. I would bet that if Sprint never told you your device was refurbished, you would never notice that it wasn't.

I've had to swap a phone maybe a total of 3 times in my life (perhaps I don't complain as much?). And in each case the refurb they sent me held up for the rest of the life of the phone.
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
  10.    #90  
    Well ups made it here. After an hour and a half and several resets the Sprint tech finally got it activated. All of my apps, email, contacts and such are downloading now so things seem to be working fine so far. Hopefully it stays that way! She says she had to change my plan for awhile to a lower plan (no idea why) so if I get any web charges to call and they will credit me. I dont usually look at my bill but I will for that. Hopefully Im good to go until the next Palm device rolls out!

Melissa
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I work in a Sprint service center and carry the Pre. I love it and have no problems with it. The main problem we see is people beat'n the crap out of their phones and then bringing them in for service. The edges are all chipped off and the charging port door has been pulled off, the crack has started and the slide is terribly loose. All caused by careless customer's. We do see a few Pre's come in with random issues, but no more than any other phone (and lot less than most Samsung phones). I am still on my original Pre and it doesn't have any of those problems. I haven't seen anything more on the Pre's they just aren't the easiest phones to take apart so normally a refirb is given for time reasons.

The only major issue with the refirb Pre's is that the old programing (from the previous owner) wasn't deleted in the warehouse. It's easy to correct. You just go to the emergency dial pad and put in ##3282# and select restore from the menu, sometimes your also have to manually program the phones for the same reason. If it says it activates and you don't have EV next to your bars you will have to do this.(sometimes it will say it is active but still needs manually programed.) That's really it.

The Pre just seemed to be a very delicate phone and you have to take care of her. She's a lady and doesn't like being man handled.
    Quote Originally Posted by neobaptist View Post
    I work in a Sprint service center and carry the Pre. I love it and have no problems with it. The main problem we see is people beat'n the crap out of their phones and then bringing them in for service. The edges are all chipped off and the charging port door has been pulled off, the crack has started and the slide is terribly loose. All caused by careless customer's. We do see a few Pre's come in with random issues, but no more than any other phone (and lot less than most Samsung phones). I am still on my original Pre and it doesn't have any of those problems. I haven't seen anything more on the Pre's they just aren't the easiest phones to take apart so normally a refirb is given for time reasons.

The only major issue with the refirb Pre's is that the old programing (from the previous owner) wasn't deleted in the warehouse. It's easy to correct. You just go to the emergency dial pad and put in ##3282# and select restore from the menu, sometimes your also have to manually program the phones for the same reason. If it says it activates and you don't have EV next to your bars you will have to do this.(sometimes it will say it is active but still needs manually programed.) That's really it.

The Pre just seemed to be a very delicate phone and you have to take care of her. She's a lady and doesn't like being man handled.
    Boo! Never had this trouble with my iPhone. I'm not knocking Palm, but seriously - the hardware quality out of their development process needs some improvement. Let's not water down the issue by telling people to be more careful. If there are other cell phones that are more robust, Palm phones should at least match that level of robustness.

(And for the record, I'm not a Palm hater - I've owned a Pre on Sprint and am currently on a Pre+ on VZW.)
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Where does Verizon and AT&T get there refurbished units from? I know Sprint outsourced to Assurian about a year ago. I'm pretty sure Verizon uses the Assurian to? I don't think I have ever spoken to someone on AT&T that has ever received a replacement, most people said they go in and AT&T told them to contact the manufacturer.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Boo! Never had this trouble with my iPhone. I'm not knocking Palm, but seriously - the hardware quality out of their development process needs some improvement. Let's not water down the issue by telling people to be more careful. If there are other cell phones that are more robust, Palm phones should at least match that level of robustness.

(And for the record, I'm not a Palm hater - I've owned a Pre on Sprint and am currently on a Pre+ on VZW.)
    I'm not trying to "water down the issue". Some phones just can't take the hussle and bussle. The Pre doesn't have the build quality of the iphone, but that doesn't mean it won't last just as long if it is taken care of. Just like how some cars can go forever without an oil change and be fine and another will blow up if you skip it once, doesn't mean the later is complete junk. It just needs more attention. The Pre needs some TLC, it's just the way it is. It's to late to change the materials, you just have to take some steps to prevent damage. By a case, don't hang the phone by it's cord, and keep it in a different pocket than your keys. It may not sound like fun, but it will work. All I'm saying is if your not willing to try and prevent these issues than you shouldn't blame Palm, Sprint, Verizon or your cousin for your laziness. Especially if you have had 8,9, or 10 of these with the SAME problems. The common factor is YOU.

"An Ounce of Prevention, is Worth a Pound of Cure" - B. Franklin
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Sorry to hear of your horrible experience. I had a similar one with Sprint and my original Pre (now have Pre+ on VZW). I don't know that I trust Sprint when they say Palm is the one refurbishing the returned Palm phones (they also told me this). I just can't imagine that Palm would accept such horrible refurbishments. Seeing the employees Sprint hires, it is much easier for me to believe that Sprint refurbishes phones just as poorly as it selects employees.
    You shouldn't believe them, Asurian handles Sprint's refurb units. The problem with Sprint employees is that they are held to some harsh quota's. So you can be great to customer's but if you don't meet a quota then your gone. And if you lie to customer's but make them happy and they buy stuff you won't hear anything from management. Their trainer's literally tell you to lie to customer (well more like guile but still)
    My brother went through 6 or 7 Pre's before finally giving up and getting a different phone. 4 or 5 of these refurbs were within a 2 week period... every one had different problems. Normally, Sprint's refurb phones are as good as new, but that's not the case with the Pre. In fact, Sprint had so many defective Pre refurbs that for a while they were giving out brand new phones instead of refurbished ones. Unfortunately this isn't the case anymore, and they're currently pulling from their refurbished stockpile again.
    Denso TP -> Sanyo 6200 -> Samsung A600 -> Treo 600 -> Red Sanyo 8200 -> Sanyo 7400 -> Sanyo 7500 -> LG Fusic -> Motorola Q -> Motorola Q9C -> Palm Pre -> Palm Pre -> Samsung Moment
    Their trainer's literally tell you to lie to customer (well more like guile but still)
    That's simply not true. I worked for Sprint, and went through their training process. They pushed us to have honesty and integrity in sales. I was really impressed.

However, in the end there are always bad people... and yes, money and quotas can corrupt even the good ones.
    Denso TP -> Sanyo 6200 -> Samsung A600 -> Treo 600 -> Red Sanyo 8200 -> Sanyo 7400 -> Sanyo 7500 -> LG Fusic -> Motorola Q -> Motorola Q9C -> Palm Pre -> Palm Pre -> Samsung Moment
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I'll throw my 2 cents in. I had a problem with my 10 month old pre's volume switch, and got my refurb today. The screen was spotless, it did have some rub marks on the backside mirror part. The keyboard had a couple of eyelashes I had to pull out, and the 'A' key had some 'gunk' around it. I could have cleaned up the keyboard and lived with it but the power switch was spongey, it didn't have that clicky feel and I had to really mash on it to turn it on. I took it back in and they just ordered me another refurb. Hopefully this one will be better.

I forgot how bad my pre was without those patches and overclock....
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I'm not trying to "water down the issue". Some phones just can't take the hussle and bussle. The Pre doesn't have the build quality of the iphone, but that doesn't mean it won't last just as long if it is taken care of. Just like how some cars can go forever without an oil change and be fine and another will blow up if you skip it once, doesn't mean the later is complete junk. It just needs more attention. The Pre needs some TLC, it's just the way it is. It's to late to change the materials, you just have to take some steps to prevent damage. By a case, don't hang the phone by it's cord, and keep it in a different pocket than your keys. It may not sound like fun, but it will work. All I'm saying is if your not willing to try and prevent these issues than you shouldn't blame Palm, Sprint, Verizon or your cousin for your laziness. Especially if you have had 8,9, or 10 of these with the SAME problems. The common factor is YOU.

"An Ounce of Prevention, is Worth a Pound of Cure" - B. Franklin
    This is the same thing I hear from most Sprint employees. Claims that the phone is fine and the customer must have broke it. I'm sure there are people who treat the phone very poorly as I've seen on the "like-new" refurbished phone I got from Sprint that is covered in dings and scratches from the previous owner. The fact is a lot of people including myself baby their phone with slip cases, never place the phone in a pocket with another object, or any thing that would jeopardize the physical integrity of the phone and still have phones that eventually fail due to a flaw in the design of the phone.

My original Pre I returned to Sprint did not have one mark on it and in it's place I get a refurbished phone that is covered in marks and scratches as well as more mechanical and functional defects than my original.

To me it would appear it is believed that any post on this forum regarding an issue with the phone including the oreo effect, headset jack issues, power button issues, and so on were caused by abuse by the owner. Hearing this from a representative of Sprint makes me even more concerned to remain a Sprint customer.

I think if Sprint and Palm want to retain customers, more QC must be done by both parties instead of trading blame from one to the other or the customer for actual device flaws or poor QC practices by both companies.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Assurion is the insurance for VZW. When I was with them, I got a refurbed LG VX8600 phone... the refurb case cracked within a few weeks of getting it. I just lived with it until I was able to do an upgrade. Maybe Assurion is the common factor?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast