Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I get my first refurb this week. My wife and I tried as hard as we could get either a) get a new Pre and not a refurb or b) a different phone. I decided to give a second Pre a try. We shall see, but I am not going to go through 3 or more Pres... I have no idea what phone they would try to give me considering not eligible for an upgrade until Nov (1 year upgrade).
    I had a launchday Pre up until 2 months ogo.. now i'm on number 4.. the referbs are pretty bad.. and i was that guy to always say "mine is perfect" Heck.. a screw fell out and jammed the slider... i have a picture on here somewhere.. another one the spacebar button was stuck, another one when i slide the screen up... there is a "pressure" spot coming from the BACK of the screen... like something is being pressed against it.. and it almost looks like a "click" but it's not..

Every referb i've gotten had a major problem... they suck

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...hone-open.html
    Last edited by antonio3; 07/20/2010 at 01:33 PM.
    Just my two cents, I had my phone replaced for the zombie phone touching itself pre problem and the refurb I got back has been miles better than it's predecessor. I've had it for almost a month now and I can attest that much improved in build quality. No creaks, no Oreo, even in the slightest, the slider is just rock solid. The display is beautiful, the machine came in pristine condition, actually forgot how beautiful the Pre really is when brand new before regular use will give it scratches and other marks. They keyboard is phenomenal and the phone runs very well.

Only issues i've had with it are once it wouldn't get a GPS lock till I restarted the device, and a little while ago it used to randomly, and rarely at that, refuse to send or receive text messages or phone calls until I toggled on and off airplane mode. But I had to doctor it for other self inflicted reasons and it hasn't had the problem since, so that issue was probably my doing with one of the many patches I had. Overall though, very good hardware second time around.
    Had a day 1 pre till May. Power button broke. They glued it back but broke hours later. So I got a refurb. I was pretty good, except the slider oreos just about as much as my day 1 pre did after 6-7 months. Power button is feeling squishy again, but I attribute this more as a design flaw since my brother's also broke (they fixed it, and it has stayed fixed since, also a day 1 pre).

I should say my day 1 pre developed the infamous USB door crack during the time I decided to leave my Pre naked w/o a screen protector (about the 8 month mark).
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    I had a launchday Pre up until 2 months ogo.. now i'm on number 4.. the referbs are pretty bad.. and i was that guy to always say "mine is perfect" Heck.. a screw fell out and jammed the slider... i have a picture on here somewhere.. another one the spacebar button was stuck, another one when i slide the screen up... there is a "pressure" spot coming from the BACK of the screen... like something is being pressed against it.. and it almost looks like a "click" but it's not..

Every referb i've gotten had a major problem... they suck
    are you getting your refurbs from Asuron (however that's spelled) or Sprint directly? Because for my refurb I drove directly to a sprint store and they handled it. According to them the replacement phone I got came directly from Palm. I've heard lots of Horror stories from Asuron.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    If you used an American Express or another CC that offers free extended warranty coverage, you can get them to either replace or reimburse you whatever you paid for the phone.

I never buy cellphone insurance policies; they are basically a scam. Pay $7 a month, and then $100 when you really need a replacement, meaning if you need a replacement in your 19th month of use, you would have paid $226 for a replacement that you can buy for about $100 on eBay.
    Mine was obviously a refurb from the packaging. It didn't have the same kind of plastic as the original one had, just a sheet of plastic wrap. My new one came with a form-fitted plastic guard that I kept for a couple of weeks before buying a screen protector. The refurb plastic wrap came off in a day or two, despite extreme caution on my part to keep it on until the new screen protector arrived. It just came in a plastic bag instead of neatly wrapped in a box.

On the other hand, except for some scuff marks on the inside-back (right above the mirror) it looks new, and I haven't (yet) had any problems with it, except that it seems to chew through batteries a little faster than the other one. I put in the extra-large battery and decided not to worry about it.

(My refurb came from the local Sprint Store. It's just around the corner from my office, so very convenient.)
    For what it's worth, I got a refurbished Pre from Sprint and have had no problems with it. In fact, as a bonus, the keyboard and power button were like new--not as squishy as my heavily used original Pre.
    I just got a refurb myself. Called Sprint and explained the problem I was having with the audio jack and they mailed it to me in 2 days. It's definitely refurbished (in June 2010), but it looks and feels great. No oreo, no scratches, or dead pixels, and the keyboard feels great. No telling how long it'll last but we'll see.

I didn't have to pay anything but when I asked the lady told me that if I didn't have the $7/mo insurance, I would've had to pay $99 for this refurb replacement, even though my phone is still under warranty until January.

Not sure how that makes sense, but I'm keeping the insurance for now.
    Unless someone can talk me out of it... and I hope someone does!
    Hi All,

Got my recycled/refurb today from ATT. Came in a nondescript box inside of a bubble bag. Curiously the SIM holder seemed to be touched up solder but didn't look ganked or anything.Despite my negativity about refurb vs. new one ( I paid full price), I so far haven't found any sign that it's a refurb. My USB door this one seems stuck at the rear edge/latch. I mean REALLY stuck. I can't get it to let go without putting a hazardous amount of pressure. Gah!
    Worked with it a minute and the clearance hole for the retaining arm was ultra tight and finally let go.
    Oreo seems on par with original. Haven't prewared it, might wait until 1.4.5 comes out to save myself the labor of doing everything twice.
    How bad can a refurb be

Quote Originally Posted by woot
    There. See? Its still the latest generation mp3 player of choice for fans of Marketing, and its got a ridiculous amount of memory for music, videos, and games, but its refurbished. That obviously means it was set on fire and extinguished in a pool of bum urine before being ripped apart with a hacksaw and spat in by some blind chimp wearing a shirt with a tag saying APPLE TECH. Its totally not worth the money and you should be offended that we even offered it, even though a new one would set you back $400.

Sellout.Woot : Apple 64GB Gen 3 iPod Touch
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    I didn't have to pay anything but when I asked the lady told me that if I didn't have the $7/mo insurance, I would've had to pay $99 for this refurb replacement, even though my phone is still under warranty until January.
    Wow. You NEVER have to pay for a replacement if you are under your 1 year warranty. No matter how many times you need a replacement. If Sprint won't do it, then Palm definitely will.
    My Bell Refurb replacement Palm Pre has a hairline scratch down the centre of the screen, and when the clamshell is open, it has an odd sqeaking sound if i move the phone up and down, definitely a used palm pre! lol ---- my 3rd palm pre btw

Oh and the Power button broke one week after I got it, I was far too annoyed to send it back as the Bell Centre told me they would no longer ship out palm pre's to exchange, and I would have to ship mine in and get a loaner phone for about 6 weeks, so I used the old ball of paper under the power button to keep it going...

Never going palm pre AGAIN
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    I dont even know what dead pixels are. How will I know if it has that issue? A stupid question that will leave many shaking their heads lol but honestly I have no idea.

Another question: Will I just be able to sign in on my Palm profile and get back all of my apps? Just like it happens when you dr the phone?
    Dead pixels are when you see a small dot on your screen that will display a random color all the time and will not display correctly. The best way to see them is when booting the phone. The pixels should be black, but you may see one or more that are blue or green during that time. That's a dead pixel.

And I wouldn't say you'll never see them. 2 of the 3 refurbs I've gotten have had one.
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    My wife just had her Pre replaced with a refurb through Best Buy. The unit is definitely in "like new" condition--not one nick or scratch and absolutely no oreo effect. This Pre has been replaced 4 times, 3x with refurbs, 1x with a new phone. There was no noticeable difference b/w the new and refurb. Here's hoping HP gets their act together and comes out with some decent hardware so I can get off this replacement merry-go-round.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    My experience with Palm Pre refurb. phones is not the best. I had my original Palm Pre phone for 8 months with no problems and then the phone developed the issue with the phone stuck in headset mode. I took the phone to Sprint who ordered a replacement refurb. under warranty. Got the refurb. a couple days later and noticed the volume up button would not work. Went back to Sprint and had a 2nd refurb. ordered which I got a few days later and immediately noticed before they put the battery in that the case was not reassembled correctly and the phone had big gaps down the sides and would not slide close properly. I immediately requested another refurb. phone as I would not accept the one they wanted to give me. Several days later I got my 3rd refurb. which had marks/scratches all around the headphone jack and down the sides of the casing. I slid open the phone and the keyboard backlight would not come up and there were dings and marks several spots on the keyboard.

The Sprint associate informed me that Palm refurbishes the phones themselves.

This was all about a month or two ago. I decided to keep the 3rd refurb. as I could live with the backlight issue and scratches for the remaining 2 and 1/2 months left until I'm eligible for a phone upgrade through Sprint. There was no telling what issues the 4th refurb. phone would have come with. My experience showed me that Palm does not care about hardware quality at all. webOS is great, but it is only worth so much with sub-par hardware. I contacted Palm to see what their response would be and got no where. Palm wanted me to send in the phone so they could repair it with no guarantee the phone would return in "like-new" condition you would expect from a refurbished phone.

It has been over a year now and there is no news of a new Palm phone, so at this point I can't afford to stick with a broken phone and so I will get a new non-Palm phone when my upgrade eligibility kicks in on August 1st.

Later down the road if Palm shows more concern and care when it comes to phone hardware I may reconsider.
    I have almost always had good luck with refurb units. I did have one Palm 650 that was locked when I got it, and one HTC touchpro that had a dead BT radio. That is out of probably 20 refurb units in the past 10 years.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Both the Mrs and I got our Sprint Pre's the week after launch. My wife's Pre was fried by a Sprint charger (i paid $100 because I thought warranty was 6 months...DAMN!) and went through the on-line insurance to replace it. The refurbished Pre arrived the next day via FedEx, looked brand new and behaves 2-3x better than MY dead power button having, chipped on the corner, Oreo cookie affected, dead pixel in the corner laden Pre! Plus, they let me keep the battery and charger they sent me (which I didn't ask for) so now I have extra accessories for my dead power button having, chipped on the corner, Oreo cookie affected, dead pixel in the corner laden Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by rawspot View Post
    My experience with Palm Pre refurb. phones is not the best. I had my original Palm Pre phone for 8 months with no problems and then the phone developed the issue with the phone stuck in headset mode. I took the phone to Sprint who ordered a replacement refurb. under warranty. Got the refurb. a couple days later and noticed the volume up button would not work. Went back to Sprint and had a 2nd refurb. ordered which I got a few days later and immediately noticed before they put the battery in that the case was not reassembled correctly and the phone had big gaps down the sides and would not slide close properly. I immediately requested another refurb. phone as I would not accept the one they wanted to give me. Several days later I got my 3rd refurb. which had marks/scratches all around the headphone jack and down the sides of the casing. I slid open the phone and the keyboard backlight would not come up and there were dings and marks several spots on the keyboard.

The Sprint associate informed me that Palm refurbishes the phones themselves.

This was all about a month or two ago. I decided to keep the 3rd refurb. as I could live with the backlight issue and scratches for the remaining 2 and 1/2 months left until I'm eligible for a phone upgrade through Sprint. There was no telling what issues the 4th refurb. phone would have come with. My experience showed me that Palm does not care about hardware quality at all. webOS is great, but it is only worth so much with sub-par hardware. I contacted Palm to see what their response would be and got no where. Palm wanted me to send in the phone so they could repair it with no guarantee the phone would return in "like-new" condition you would expect from a refurbished phone.

It has been over a year now and there is no news of a new Palm phone, so at this point I can't afford to stick with a broken phone and so I will get a new non-Palm phone when my upgrade eligibility kicks in on August 1st.

Later down the road if Palm shows more concern and care when it comes to phone hardware I may reconsider.
    Sorry to hear of your horrible experience. I had a similar one with Sprint and my original Pre (now have Pre+ on VZW). I don't know that I trust Sprint when they say Palm is the one refurbishing the returned Palm phones (they also told me this). I just can't imagine that Palm would accept such horrible refurbishments. Seeing the employees Sprint hires, it is much easier for me to believe that Sprint refurbishes phones just as poorly as it selects employees.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Sorry to hear of your horrible experience. I had a similar one with Sprint and my original Pre (now have Pre+ on VZW). I don't know that I trust Sprint when they say Palm is the one refurbishing the returned Palm phones (they also told me this). I just can't imagine that Palm would accept such horrible refurbishments. Seeing the employees Sprint hires, it is much easier for me to believe that Sprint refurbishes phones just as poorly as it selects employees.
    I would have to agree. I just got my phone replaced DIRECT from Palm because mine up and died. I had to send in the old one and then it took Palm about 5 days to send one back (overnight shipping back!). The one they sent looks BRAND NEW. There are no scratches, scuffs, oreo, faulty power button, etc. The battery worried me a little at first as it dropped from 100% to 90% fast, but I also had the battery sitting around charged while waiting for the new Pre. A week later now and it works just as great as my original launch pre. I even have it overclocked to 600 MHz.

Sprint wouldn't help me at all with my dead phone because I was 10 days out of warranty. Palm said they would extend my warranty and took care of me. All these horror stories seem to come from Sprint's "Palm" refurbs.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast