Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Wow, that kinda sounds like all Pre oreo is caused by users? I'm sure you don't mean it that way, but it sure sounds very Applish...
    (just don't hold your phone that way guys)

Sorry I did not mean for it to sound like I meant "all."

Being as I do not work in reverse logistics I can't make an accurate assumption of this, I am going off of my thoughts on the issue completely and from what I have personally seen.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    My main fear is all of the problems I had when I first got my Pre. IM was the biggest issue. Its so smooth now for me but I still know people who cannot connect to Yahoo at all. I use it quite a lot. Thats something I can test in the store. My slider is slightly loose but not nearly as bad as others Ive seen. Again I can check that at the store. Ill get through it. Im traumatized having my laptop in the repair shop for over 2 weeks now already! Dont mess with my Pre! lol
    I dont even know what dead pixels are. How will I know if it has that issue? A stupid question that will leave many shaking their heads lol but honestly I have no idea.

Another question: Will I just be able to sign in on my Palm profile and get back all of my apps? Just like it happens when you dr the phone?
    I got a refurb recently. It's fine, nice and tight, and doesn't have the flaky problems my original phone had. (The original phone's wifi never quite worked, and the keyboard was wearing out. It also had the dead power-button issue, but if it had only been that, they would have fixed it instead of replacing it.)

You can get back all the apps you got through the app store just by signing onto your profile. It takes a while for them to all download, so it'll be a while before everything is up and running. Things that I lost with the new (refurb) phone were:

One e-mail account: I forgot the password, so the automatic update didn't work. I ended up re-entering it, and I got something (other than the password) wrong so it doesn't send mail. Since it's one of 3 accounts I've been too lazy to fix this. Also, note that if I'd remembered the password correctly it would have just automatically re-installed with all the prior settings, like the other two accounts.

Bookmarks in the browser. This is a little bit of a nuisance as I use the browser to access my employer's e-mail, but it's not a huge deal to look those up and re-save them.

My status in various games. The games didn't remember that I'd played them before, and I had to start over with "high scores" and such.

Filecoaster, Preware, and all the patches I'd installed. I knew this would happen, and took the time to jot down the list of patches I wanted, so it also wasn't a big deal. I didn't remember how to install Preware and had to look that up again, but it wasn't any harder to install than it had been the first time. (and tomi666, Palm makes developer mode available to end users. I did not violate my contract or void my warranty by using that stuff. Of course, the problems with my gadget were all hardware, and were completely unrelated to any software fiddling I'd done. If it had been damaged due to my actions, it would have been different.)

Dead pixels: The screen is made up of lots of individual pixels which light up independently of each other. Sometimes a pixel "dies" and stays always black. More rarely, you get a "hot pixel" that stays always on. Both degrade the image quality a little, but if it's just one or two pixels, you generally won't notice. Neither my original nor my refurb has any dead pixels. If the screen looks good, then there's nothing to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I got a refurb recently. It's fine, nice and tight, and doesn't have the flaky problems my original phone had. (The original phone's wifi never quite worked, and the keyboard was wearing out. It also had the dead power-button issue, but if it had only been that, they would have fixed it instead of replacing it.)

You can get back all the apps you got through the app store just by signing onto your profile. It takes a while for them to all download, so it'll be a while before everything is up and running. Things that I lost with the new (refurb) phone were:

One e-mail account: I forgot the password, so the automatic update didn't work. I ended up re-entering it, and I got something (other than the password) wrong so it doesn't send mail. Since it's one of 3 accounts I've been too lazy to fix this. Also, note that if I'd remembered the password correctly it would have just automatically re-installed with all the prior settings, like the other two accounts.

Bookmarks in the browser. This is a little bit of a nuisance as I use the browser to access my employer's e-mail, but it's not a huge deal to look those up and re-save them.

My status in various games. The games didn't remember that I'd played them before, and I had to start over with "high scores" and such.

Filecoaster, Preware, and all the patches I'd installed. I knew this would happen, and took the time to jot down the list of patches I wanted, so it also wasn't a big deal. I didn't remember how to install Preware and had to look that up again, but it wasn't any harder to install than it had been the first time. (and tomi666, Palm makes developer mode available to end users. I did not violate my contract or void my warranty by using that stuff. Of course, the problems with my gadget were all hardware, and were completely unrelated to any software fiddling I'd done. If it had been damaged due to my actions, it would have been different.)

Dead pixels: The screen is made up of lots of individual pixels which light up independently of each other. Sometimes a pixel "dies" and stays always black. More rarely, you get a "hot pixel" that stays always on. Both degrade the image quality a little, but if it's just one or two pixels, you generally won't notice. Neither my original nor my refurb has any dead pixels. If the screen looks good, then there's nothing to worry about.
    Something I found funny is that I got a refurb yesterday and i cannot get yahoo working at all, im pretty sure its coincidence and only a software issue

What is bugging the hell out of me is that the keyboard is not working, it is such a let down. Whats strange is it seems to have something to do with the sliding action because sometimes sliding the phone up and down rapidly will fix it, or sliding during normal use will cause the problem.

Im going to go and get the virtual keyboard up and running, but that still wont work for universal search etc..

Double bummer is that a) my car is in the shop so getting back to the sprint store isnt a walk in the park and b) When i went and got my refurb there was only one in stock because someone didnt pick it up or something and when i go get another it will have to be ordered.

ughhhhhhhhh.
    I had to bring my phone in for the first time since getting it pretty close to release as the speaker had stopped working properly. The first refurb's wifi couldn't get a signal unless it was literally right next to a router, and then it wouldnt reliably connect. The second refurb was mostly fine but all the keys from r and leftward don't light up with the backlight. Its annoying, but i'm probably gonna ride that out until the next phone comes out instead of playing the refurb roulette again.
  5.    #45  
    I totally won't keep it if it has any issues. I'll drive sprint crazy until I get a good one trust me. Crossing my fingers that I'll be one of the lucky ones tomorrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    What was the manufacturing date on your new sealed in thr box phone?
    It has a build date of 4-8-10... just got it activated today. Seems much better than even my 8-12 build date refurb
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Let me quote VeeDubb65, who's far more knowledgable than I am, as he explained it so eloquently to one of your fellow criminal friends:

(http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2552277)

Quote:
    Well, let's see.....

1. You're wrong. It does NOT cover gross negligence on your part, and had you been completely honest with them about how this happend, i.e. you were following directions you found online for hacking things which are not supposed to be users accessible, screwed it up, and couldn't recover, they would have charged you a $100 deductible because there IS a $100 deductible for "accidental" damage. The no-deductible return only applies to defects.

2. Since I know the above to be true, I know that you lied to them, which in addition to making you a liar, also makes you an admitted felon, as insurance fraud is a felony. Also, if you used the US Postal Service to send the Pre back to them, you're additionally guilty of mail fraud, which again, is a felony. USPS to send it across state lines? That makes it Interstate Mail Fraud, which can leave you with the FBI knocking on your door.

3. Since this one wasn't actually ruined, but only temporarily disable by your incompetance, there's a good chance that several of the first 6 were also no actually broken, or were again broken by you, but in some way you could avoid taking responsibility for.

4. Attitudes like yours are a scourge on civilization.
    Unquote
    you caught me! i'm just a natural born felon.
    and if sprint or palm even cared about my phone they would have charged my account 100 dollars by now because my phone still had UK and govnah and all those happy patches. I bet they're happy to get rid of more of their pre inventory to make room for new phones. stop gettin' your panties in a bunch.
    what is the replacement process? first we have to send the phone back to palm, or first they send a refurb phone to us, and we will send old phone with pre-labelled box?
    thanks...
    Palm has both options available. It all depends on what suits your needs.

The second option does require a replacement deposit fee to be placed on your card (this is a temporary hold ensuring the defective unit is returned). There is a non refundable fee of $29.95
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I have 2 palm pre's through sprint.They both were replaced today with refurbs the volume buttons wouldn't work ,one didn't charge on the first pre's I had. the refurb ones actually feel better then my first ones and I didn't even have to wait for them to get replace...
  11.    #51  
    This has become a nightmare. My new (referb) got delivered to the store today. It came in with 1.3.1.1 so it wanted me to update to 1.4.1.1 and when I went to do that it couldnt get a connection. Then my palm profile stopped downloading my apps (many games) so I call Sprint. The lady has me do a hard reset and when the phone comes back it says I have no apps in my palm profile. No email addys, contacts, nothing. Lady says she thinks she killed my profile. Well from that point on we couldnt get the phone to work at all. No calls, web, sms, not a thing would work. After 2 hours on the phone I get to "advanced technical support" and am told they are going to mail me yet another referb that wont get here until Wednesday-Friday. So I tell them someone best be planning on getting me a huge credit for my lost apps and they say "we cant do that" um. Get past that road block and I tell them to reactivate my Blackberry until the next Pre comes. They do that and same thing. It wont work. I just now had to restore it to factory settings and again lost everything. No service to it still and am waiting for support to call me back on my husbands phone. Ive been doing this since 11:30am today! *sigh* I should have just lived with my shotty original Pre.

Melissa <- has a major headache!
    I'm not sure if you have ever used webos doctor, but that probably would have been your best bet. I didn't let all of my apps load before I updated and when the new version loaded I didn't have any apps. I doctored my phone resigned into my profile and all of my apps were back.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    I'm not sure if you have ever used webos doctor, but that probably would have been your best bet. I didn't let all of my apps load before I updated and when the new version loaded I didn't have any apps. I doctored my phone resigned into my profile and all of my apps were back.
    Yeah we tried that. The phone wouldnt connect to usb even. Its basically dead dead dead.

I did finally get the Blackberry working so at least I have that until then ext Pre comes. Hopefully that one will be fine. I keep trying to swipe on the Blackberry! Im a creature of habit big time!
    Holy cow! I ambled over to my local Sprint Store, and they gave me a new (refurb) phone, and had me enter a few passwords. Other than the stuff I mentioned above, everything just came back. It took a couple of hours before the phone stopped wanting to download stuff (apps, upgraded software, various things) but other than that, no problems at all.

I only had the basic contact info that Sprint stores in the "cloud", but I had no trouble restoring the more detailed version from the missing sync. (I forgot to mention that part. Sorry.)
    This has become a nightmare. My new (referb) got delivered to the store today. It came in with 1.3.1.1 so it wanted me to update to 1.4.1.1 and when I went to do that it couldnt get a connection. Then my palm profile stopped downloading my apps (many games) so I call Sprint. The lady has me do a hard reset and when the phone comes back it says I have no apps in my palm profile. No email addys, contacts, nothing. Lady says she thinks she killed my profile. Well from that point on we couldnt get the phone to work at all. No calls, web, sms, not a thing would work. After 2 hours on the phone I get to "advanced technical support" and am told they are going to mail me yet another referb that wont get here until Wednesday-Friday. So I tell them someone best be planning on getting me a huge credit for my lost apps and they say "we cant do that" um. Get past that road block and I tell them to reactivate my Blackberry until the next Pre comes. They do that and same thing. It wont work. I just now had to restore it to factory settings and again lost everything. No service to it still and am waiting for support to call me back on my husbands phone. Ive been doing this since 11:30am today! *sigh* I should have just lived with my shotty original Pre.

Melissa <- has a major headache!
    Melissa,

I feel your pain. That's why I switched from Sprint to VZW - the Sprint network is epic, but the customer service is just dreadful.
    Refurbished can also mean that someone got it and didn't end up wanting it and brought it back, they can no longer sell it as new. Therefor it has to be sold as refurbished.
    the ones they gave still had the plastic on the front and back. batteries still in the plastic baggies but I also kept my old batteries
    I've always had good experiences with refurb'd phones from Sprint.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by rolo17 View Post
    the ones they gave still had the plastic on the front and back. batteries still in the plastic baggies but I also kept my old batteries
    Yes this one also had plastic on front and back. The one thing I could see that was wrong was the black rubbery thing behind the keys was lifted in one corner. The lady said it was probably from getting hot in shipping (uh huh) and pushed it back in with her nail. Other than that it looked and felt brand new. Wouldnt have known it had an issue until I went to use the thing.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I have to side with the haters on this one. I'm currently on my 3rd Pre. My original died due to call quality/speaker issues/dead pixels. The second died due to my slider breaking through normal use. The two refurbs I recieved were NOT new phones. They also did not have 'new' exteriors. My first refurb (February 2010) had oreo just like my original and the bottom right corner of the device had a 1cm crack in it. The crack was only noticeable in direct light, so I chose to live with it.

My second refurb (June 2010) had visible scuffs and scratches all over the device. It has less has oreo although it is now clockwise instead of counter-clockwise like on my previous 2 devices. There is also a peculiar crackling noise that occurs when I slide the phone open. I attempted to return it to the store the following week. Sprint refused to exchange it and attempted to sell me on the EVO instead.

In early July my power button stopped responding and I returned to the Sprint Repair Center. I was surprised to see them open up my Pre and replace the button instead of giving me another refurb.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast