Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I decided to replace mine via Asurian ($100) last month (the 11th) when I decided I didn't want to wait till fall for a new model to replace it. (due to Minor inconveniences: sticky power and volume up buttons and missing usb door) That replacement phone came looking almost new but was a refurb. It was great until Monday when I noticed the mute switch stopped working. I called Asurian (yesterday) to replace that under warranty (no charge). I received a brand new pre in a sealed box with all accessories next day (today). They also only want the phone sent back with no battery or anything else, so I now have an extra battery, headphones, case, charger and usb cable. Although I am eager for a new device I am pleased to be able have a "new" phone for the next few months until news comes of the next model. I would have kept the refurb till then had the mute switch not broken. I keep the insurance on even though I have the new warranty because that won't help me with a loss, water damage, or theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoutawack View Post
    I decided to replace mine via Asurian ($100) last month (the 11th) when I decided I didn't want to wait till fall for a new model to replace it. (due to Minor inconveniences: sticky power and volume up buttons and missing usb door) That replacement phone came looking almost new but was a refurb. It was great until Monday when I noticed the mute switch stopped working. I called Asurian (yesterday) to replace that under warranty (no charge). I received a brand new pre in a sealed box with all accessories next day (today). They also only want the phone sent back with no battery or anything else, so I now have an extra battery, headphones, case, charger and usb cable. Although I am eager for a new device I am pleased to be able have a "new" phone for the next few months until news comes of the next model. I would have kept the refurb till then had the mute switch not broken. I keep the insurance on even though I have the new warranty because that won't help me with a loss, water damage, or theft.
    You should have been able get your phone replaced at a Sprint store for free.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    You should have been able get your phone replaced at a Sprint store for free.
    I bought mine June 10th last year and didn't think to replace it before then this year. So I was past the original 1 year warranty.
    I bought mine June 10th last year and didn't think to replace it before then this year. So I was past the original 1 year warranty.
    If you have TEP defects and normal wear and tear are covered for free by Sprint retail stores. Asurian is only used for physical damage and loss.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Refurbs used to be an abomination. Then they were hit-or-miss. I think now there's a good chance if you get one it'll be solid.

My wife just had her's replaced with a refurb and the keyboard is very good and the slider isgreat....no oreo and it's tight and smooth. All else seems to function normally.
    What is the oreo effect? I have seen this mentioned a lot here on precentral, but have no idea what people are referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    What is the oreo effect? I have seen this mentioned a lot here on precentral, but have no idea what people are referring to.
    The oreo effect is seen where devices swivel left to right instead of just sliding up and down on the slider. More often than not the oreo effect is caused from people checking to see if they have the oreo problem.

If you never twist your phone to the left or right (no it's not supposed to bend that way) you likely will not have the problem.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  7.    #27  
    Well I went in after a nearly 45 min drive and they tell me they cant give me a replacement in the store. They had to order me one which has to be shipped to the store then I have to go back and swap it out. It was well after 4pm so I wont hold my breath on getting it tomorrow. Hopefully Monday. I asked if it would be a refurb and he said "whatever comes is what comes" so I took that as a yes. He was actually quite rude and said "odd it breaks when your waranty is just about up" um ok kiss it.

Melissa
    I prefer referbs. They have had to go through more testing.
    I had a simple problem problem with the screen on my launch day Pre. They gave me a refurb and it has been like new with absolutely no problems for 9 months (knock on wood!).
    What was the manufacturing date on your new sealed in thr box phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    Well I went in after a nearly 45 min drive and they tell me they cant give me a replacement in the store. They had to order me one which has to be shipped to the store then I have to go back and swap it out. It was well after 4pm so I wont hold my breath on getting it tomorrow. Hopefully Monday. I asked if it would be a refurb and he said "whatever comes is what comes" so I took that as a yes. He was actually quite rude and said "odd it breaks when your waranty is just about up" um ok kiss it.

Melissa
    When you do finally get your "new" phone, make sure you test everything in-store. Or atleast test the basic functionality of your phone such as: making a phone call, testing the keyboard, possibly even bringing your headphones and testing the headphone jack.

I got a refurb a while back that had a problem with the mic to the point that ppl couldn't hear me when i was on a phone call... it will just save a lot of time to catch stuff like that before you even leave the store.

Other than that, my refurb felt better than my brand new pre. So they can be really nice, but you want to make sure of that before you leave the store!
    Refurbs are horrible! I went through this with my Mogul, too. They sent me one that the screen was so tight I cracked it tapping it with the stylus two hours after I got it. Been through 6 refurbed Pre's. I swear the refurbs are the reason for the bad rep. The last I received was a brand new one and is perfect! I never paid for any replacement Pre. You can tell a new vs. refurb by looking under the battery door. If there are battery removal instructions, you have a new better built Pre.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    You can tell a new vs. refurb by looking under the battery door. If there are battery removal instructions, you have a new better built Pre.
    I don't think this is true. My new pre, that I got in november, didn't have battery removal instructions. The refurb that I got, which was bought by its original owner in july, had the removal instructions.

You can check the exact status of a phone by going into the phone app and dailing ##786# for reverse logistics. This will give you original purchase date, refurb date, phone usage, etc..
    Ok, maybe I am wrong. But ever since they announced Sprint was giving new instead of refurbs, every one has been better. But, that was just what I was told at my repair center. We all know how reliable they are. If anyone knows for sure I would love to know. Oh and also to support what I said though is that they come with 1.4.1.1, and refurbs I have had came with whatever. You may have an 'old' 'new' phone, but I am curious what version of WebOS did your's come with?
    - Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    Ok, maybe I am wrong. But ever since they announced Sprint was giving new instead of refurbs, every one has been better. But, that was just what I was told at my repair center. We all know how reliable they are. If anyone knows for sure I would love to know. Oh and also to support what I said though is that they come with 1.4.1.1, and refurbs I have had came with whatever. You may have an 'old' 'new' phone, but I am curious what version of WebOS did your's come with?
    I think I got mine in april, and I'm pretty sure it came with 1.3.5. I don't remember exactly, I do remember that it didn't have the most recent version of webos though.
    Just get one under warranty and you will get a new one (new version with better slider). With or without instructions!
    - Jeff
    I don't know why so many people are scared of refurbs. It'll certainly be better than your broken POS Pre. My refurb was 100x better. My old Pre got Oreo effect as soon as I left the store, my refurb hasn't got it yet and it's been a week so far. I'm impressed (but I really shouldn't be). Refurbs are as close as you can get to new without it being new. Plus they're certified.
  18.    #38  
    I didn't get it today since the store doesn't get orders in on saturdays. The girl said monday for sure. I'm curious how it's going to be. I'll post back and let you all know what version of webos it has if they haven't opened it by the time I get to the store.

Melissa
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    perhaps precentral can provide your info to the authorities and they can bust your lardazz.
    if i pay for it why not take advantage of it?
    that 7 dollars a month adds up
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    i am taking my Pre in tomorrow because of yellow spots in the screen and then today I dropped it and the screen on/off button shot off of it. So, now I have to open the slider to get the screen to come on and let the screen go off on it's own (which I have set to 3 minutes). I want a new phone or they can offer me a different phone. I do not want a refurb. Too many horror stories on Pre refurbs. After a couple of phones, can it not be considered a "lemon" and be replaced with a new phone? Pre or otherwise?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast