Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Hi, I'm exhausted in search of an answer to this....

I need to use a direct-usb conection to a Mac (OSX 10.4 Macbook) for
    tethering on my Sprint Sero acct. I do not like Windows (All-Macs forever
    here...) so the HTC TP2 - and touchscreen features were just too much overkill
    and needlessly complex to me.

I like simplicity - straightforward basic functionality....a very easy UI....kinda
    like Macs, for the most part.

Okay, usbmodem suggests Palm as a good Mac-friendly phone to tether with.
    I haven't owned one but know i need EVDO Rev.A capability to get optimum
    speeds on Sprint. Is the Web OS more intuitive and easy in general than WinMo? I am coming from a Sanyo MM-9000 handset phone... I know some Palms do run WinMO and i don't think i want that. Is there a Treo with a Palm or WebOS that's Mac-tether-capable and has EVDO Rev.A? Is there a particular Palm that might serve my purpose best or....other brands for that matter that will be very easy on a non-tech type like me to adapt to?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Touchscreen not a big deal...just a reasonable size screen, decent keypad....but mainly the ability to interface very easily 'out of the box' with Mac on Sprint for tether - at EVDO Rev.A
    speed.

Thanks for any help!

Mike
    The Pre is 100% easier to tether than it is to with Winmo phones.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    A. The newer (WebOS) Palm devices cannot be used with your Sero plan.
    B. There is no USB tethering for the newer Palm devices.

Pretty sure the device you want is the Palm Treo 755p. It runs PalmOS and should be able to do USB tethering with your Mac and you will even be able to keep your Sero plan. The 755p is NOT a modern phone. No A-GPS, basic web browsing capabilities but not nearly as advanced as newer phones, 1.3MP camera, Mini-SD card slot.

Instead of buying a outdated phone you should get a Pre, change your plan to the newer Sero-like plan, and read up on how to setup your Pre for the mobile Wifi hotspot.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Hi folks, thanks for your replies. Interesting to hear that Palm is 100% easier than WinMo for Mac tether. Then the question would be which model.

So....the Pre won't work on SERO... the 755 will - but i gather wouldn't be "EVDO-REv.A speed or have other modern conveniences. Well that kinda sucks. But...here is a catch about my unique needs, and some don't readily understand what I mean by this but... I have a Mac application used to send audio via IP and it needs to get a "Public IP" address - vs. Port-Mapping that happens with Routers - in order to run.

This is true whether i am on a home network or a cellphone ISP setup.

Hence, I also need the device to be able to tether with USB-directly just for this reason. That's what brought me down to the USBModem app...vs, say...
    wifirouter. That said, if I go to a Pre, you suggest i dump my $30/month SERO plan to get more phone choices. Can you elaborate on what the better alternative to SERO would be? $34/month unlimited - very tough to part with. I'll consider it but i have to really be sure it's worth it and that what i want to accomplish isn't going to be a major hassle unless i change as i'm sure you can understand.

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated,

MIke
    I say go with the pre. You won't be sorry in the end. With a little work you can set it up to usb tether as well as wifi tether (althoug you don't need that currently)
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I say go with the pre. You won't be sorry in the end. With a little work you can set it up to usb tether as well as wifi tether (althoug you don't need that currently)
    Thanks but... yoshk says in his post that i need to change my Sprint plan to use it. Yes/No/Maybe?

Never thought something this seemingly straightforward could be so fraught
    with user-dependent tweaking to accomplish a very simple task. Just the information-gathering process has consumed way more time than i ever
    would've imagined. This of course leads to a way bigger philosophical discussion about how technology should simplify vs. complicate...but that's the bigger picture. Just want to figure out how to do what i want to do right now. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion but as i say it's made questionable by his post. One thing always seems to conflict -rather than-lead- to another anymore.
    Last edited by mikeshep; 07/16/2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: sp.
    Does it *have* to be USB tethering ? My Pre & Macbook co-operate very nicely over Bluetooth.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    B. There is no USB tethering for the newer Palm devices.
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $there$ $is$ $USB$ $tethering$ $for$ $the$ $pre$ $but$ $not$ $with$ $OSX$ $10$.$6$.$x$.
    More info at webos-internals and here.

I use bluetooth or wifi tethering with the pre and osx 10.6.x. Works very well.
    This is on o2 germany and you may have to tinker a little for sprint. But it should work. There are couple of threads about it.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeshep View Post
    Thanks but... yoshk says in his post that i need to change my Sprint plan to use it. Yes/No/Maybe?

Never thought something this seemingly straightforward could be so fraught
    with user-dependent tweaking to accomplish a very simple task. Just the information-gathering process has consumed way more time than i ever
    would've imagined. This of course leads to a way bigger philosophical discussion about how technology should simplify vs. complicate...but that's the bigger picture. Just want to figure out how to do what i want to do right now. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion but as i say it's made questionable by his post. One thing always seems to conflict -rather than-lead- to another anymore.
    well I had replied to your post over at spintusers but deleted it because i saw you were looking more for PalmOS phones.

There are rumors that customerscurrently on a SERO plan will be able to add a SERO premium data package to their plans and be able to use any of the restricted phones on SERO, This would be the Instinct, Pre and android based phones. Unfortunately this is not going to take effect until Oct. 1. if you can hold out that long it may be worth it. Check this post on sprintusers for more info on the plan add-on. Rumor from a rep: Smartphone restrictions will be removed from SERO - Page 17 - SprintUsers.com

If you can wait you may even be able to go with an Android phone if it can be used with the Mac the way you want it to.
    with sprint you don't pay extra with a pre and tethering. You just don't ask don't tell them. It's not a feature for sprint it's a verizon app installed on a sprint pre.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyorke View Post
    well I had replied to your post over at spintusers but deleted it because i saw you were looking more for PalmOS phones.

There are rumors that customerscurrently on a SERO plan will be able to add a SERO premium data package to their plans and be able to use any of the restricted phones on SERO, This would be the Instinct, Pre and android based phones. Unfortunately this is not going to take effect until Oct. 1. if you can hold out that long it may be worth it. Check this post on sprintusers for more info on the plan add-on. Rumor from a rep: Smartphone restrictions will be removed from SERO - Page 17 - SprintUsers.com[/url]

If you can wait you may even be able to go with an Android phone if it can be used with the Mac the way you want it to.
    Yikes, another variable! That sounds interesting. Meantime tho i'm willing to buy something else used and wait and see. Any other phone suggestions ? something used...EVDO Rev.A speed, smartphone-like features...SERO compatible...USB-tetherable and easy to use a Macbook (OSX 10.4 or 10.3)
    with? The TP2 is too much to bother with. Got it and want to sell it off for something easier. Just can't get into WinMo. Not intuitive like a Mac. Thanks!