1.    #1  
    Im wondering if there is a easier way to start a phone call than other universal search of contact or speed dial?

I need to teach a friend how to use a webOS pixi+, since he is not a gadget obsessed person, I just want to show him the basic and most useful functions.

Making phone call is very important, Im thinking about showing him using universal search to start call, start txt, search google and wiki. But want to be sure this IS the easiest way (since pixi+ has an exposed kb).

Also plan to show him the notification system and multitasking.

I really want to make this extremely easy and brief.

Did I miss anything important?
    just open the dialer and dial the phone... that's the simple way.

Also, get him one of the quickdialer apps so the most frequently called people can be dialed by touching their picture.

But at the end of the day, you really can't beat universal search. It's amazing.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    This is why I've kept the phone app in my Quick Launch bar all this time. One tap and it's there for the dialing.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Im wondering if there is a easier way to start a phone call than other universal search of contact or speed dial?
    It's the only way I call a contact's number.
    Maybe add his most dialed/emailed/sms contacts to the launcher, maybe even on their own page.
    The only other way I know of dialing is the using one of the photo dialer apps, but I have found the speed dial and the universal search on the phone to be the fastest.

Also show the back gesture, that is important for using apps.
    check out super contacts or quick contacts in app store.
    It's still using universal search, but simply type the first initial of the first name, and start typing the last name untill the person's name comes up.
    universal search is easier & faster than a quick dialer or phone app...both take time to open and find the person (I used two quick dialers so far and enjoy universal search much better)
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Speed dial by press and holding one one the keys on the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
    Speed dial by press and holding one one the keys on the keyboard.
    doesnt get any easier than that. one button and your calling.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THE SYNERGY View Post
    doesnt get any easier than that. one button and your calling.
    I like to load the phone and then quick dial from there. It ALWAYS works. I love it.

I wish the Pre's home screen would include icons.
    Just sliding open the phone and dialing a number on the keyboard also brings up the phone.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    The way I call people is by putting the phone on the launcher bar, as well as having the patch to launch the phone app directly into the call log. Most times, the person I'm calling has called me recently, or I have called recently enough that this is super efficient for me.
    launch point is the best and easiest. It's a must have.
    Quick Contacts is, in my opinion, the best program out there for quick dialing/texting. Super simple to use, works smoothly, and looks nice too.

Quick Contacts
    extremely easy and brief = universal search.
    it couldn't be easier; think of the name, start typing name, hit appropriate button to call, text, or IM the contact.

pretty brief too. i know it's not a one click solution, but if you want to teach him webOS, teach him webOS. don't make him think he needs some third party app to make it easy to call someone.

just my two cents.
    Since you say this is a non tec'y person here are some ideas.

Show him the web browser functions like landscape mode, and just typing to go from one website to another. (lord help me I learned that here) I have a palm pre and after having it a week the screen locked up. I knew I needed to restart it but ahh well, I didn't know how to. Seriously I didn't notice the little button on the top corner, but also show him the other ways that I learned here. (toggling that switch a few times, things that I learned on this forum.)

Make sure he knows all the cool silly little tricks, swiping, and multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Safira View Post
    Since you say this is a non tec'y person here are some ideas.

Show him the web browser functions like landscape mode, and just typing to go from one website to another. (lord help me I learned that here) I have a palm pre and after having it a week the screen locked up. I knew I needed to restart it but ahh well, I didn't know how to. Seriously I didn't notice the little button on the top corner, but also show him the other ways that I learned here. (toggling that switch a few times, things that I learned on this forum.)

Make sure he knows all the cool silly little tricks, swiping, and multitasking.
    good point about the cool tricks. if he is dextrous enough to just do a half swipe (yeah, i was kind of being a smart *** there), hook him up with advanced gestures. i love how it just flips through the cards.
    I didn't read everything.... but it uses universal search.... is type in the number if you know it. It will pull it up in universal search, but directly to the number/contact vs. having a list of that contacts info when you search by name