1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,

I have been visiting pre central since before the Pre was launched in the UK and it's by far one of my favourites sites, It's a bit of a bummer that I have only just joined the forums now, but I was leaving it until I got into webOS development this summer.

But Now I would like to ask your opinion. My questions are in bold so you can ignore the waffle if you want!

I had my pre since December and apart from the small things about it, I have to admit that it was the phone I had ever owned and by far my favourite phone OS I have used yet.

However, by accident my girlfriend dropped it in some lemonade. At the time, although a little upset, I thought it was alright, that is what I was paying insurance for and that It wouldn't take long to get a new one.

I was wrong, horribly wrong.

It has been near two months since that happened, and I have only just gotten O2 Insure to accept my claim. I won't go into the gory details as the whole situation was horrible. In short I was nearly done out of a replacement phone due to a clause in the O2 Insure contract, that O2 made me break in the first place!

My relief that the claim was accepted was short lived as I was told that the Insurance Company had no Palm Pre handsets left and that I could only choose from three different phones.

• Palm Pixi
    • Blackberry 9700 Bold
    • Nokia N97 Mini

I feel the obvious answer lies in the Pixi as I love webOS and don't really want to leave it but there is something that turns me right off it.

Is it true that...
    • The smaller screen will annoy me to no end?
    • The hardware differences mean the phone is slower then the Pre and unable to use all of the same apps?

What do you guys and gals think about the Pixi in comparison to the BB 9700 and which would you get?

Am I just being stupid and should go with the Pixi even though I loved having a Pre?

As suggested by a friend, is it worth selling the BB 9700 brand new and unopened, in order to use that money to buy a Pre Plus
    (I am personally uneasy about this due to the amount of trouble I had getting the insurance claim in the first place. But would it be worth it?)

If you read all this thanks for reading it and I hope see your comments soon!

(Also I apologise if this really should of gone in the Pixi Forum. I really wasn't sure)

Paul
    I still love the pre but am now using the pixi! It is a great experience! I don't notice a small screen. I do notice that I love not having a slider phone. I also love the keyboard. It is a little slower than the pre but it feels so solid, is so small, lightweight and you don't notice it in your pocket. Give it a try!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikomax View Post
    My relief that the claim was accepted was short lived as I was told that the Insurance Company had no Palm Pre handsets left and that I could only choose from three different phones.
    This doesn't make sense, you're probably getting the 'run around'.
    Fight for the PRE! You'll be miserable with the alternatives.
    The only negative I have about the Pixi is the small screen. Now that uberkernal/govnah are out I have gotten the phone to work as well as I need it to. Then again I don't consider myself a "power user" and never have more than two or three cards open at once. Even so, before preware my phone was almost unusable at times due to TMC errors. Depends on how you plan to use it I guess.

I've been considering upgrading to a Pre myself when I get a few bucks saved up, but I'm wary of the hardware problems that supposedly plague the phone. I suppose it's a give and take between the Pixi and Pre.
    If you are in webOS development, it would be nice to have both a Pixi and a Pre.
    get whichever one you can sell for the most money on eBay or Craig's list. That way if you want another Pre you can use the money to buy it...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    There are some good comparison videos over in the Pixi forum. Check them out.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the advice guys but...

I rang to order the Blackberry today, I was going to sell it for a Pre+ but I was told I could actually get one as a replacement for my Pre.

I can't tell you all how happy I am about that. I am very VERY glad I waited a week before ordering a replacement!

I hope to be posting a lot more from now on so I hope to post again soon!!

Paul
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    i have the same problem, my sister dropped mine, and i rang the insurance company, and they offered me the pixi, blackberry 9700 bold, and the nokia n97 mini, i said no to them and they then offered me the HTC HD2, the guy on the phone said, think about it for a while, and pick which phone you want.

but i checked the O2 website, and it said they had the palm pre in stock, even though the insurance company was claiming it had been discontinued.

so i rang the insurance company again, and they said that they have different stock to the retail, so i filed a complaint, and still waiting on the reply from that, which i was told could take 1-5 days.

but if all else fails, i checked ebay, and you can get a palm pre for around £100, and the blackberry 9700 bold and the HTC HD2 both sell for over £100
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlD89
    but i checked the O2 website, and it said they had the palm pre in stock, even though the insurance company was claiming it had been discontinued.
    I have to admit this is what annoyed me to no end as well.

I feel its a natural assumption to think the insurance company to share the stock of O2 as they are named O2 Insure. If you are like me you think, "I am paying O2 for insurance it's called O2 Insure, must be the same company". You even get the O2 automated voice "Thank you for ringing O2 Insure" when you ring them.

However it seems that they are two separate companies with their own stocks but just share the name O2. When I ordered the phone yesterday the most laughable comment when ringing O2 Insure was that they would not Transfer your call back to custom services.

I would rather O2 not brand their insurance O2 Insure if they are not actually a part of O2. I would like to go into an O2 shop and be able to claim on Insurance, or just talk to someone about my account without having to ring up and sit through queues of terrible music. Does this seem too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by KarlD89
    but if all else fails, i checked ebay, and you can get a palm pre for around £100, and the blackberry 9700 bold and the HTC HD2 both sell for over £100
    It's nice to know this, seems like getting the 9700 was the best choice before I was offered the Pre Plus.

A word of warning!!
    About 20 minuets ago , a deliveryman came with my replacement Pre Plus, only to tell me I can't have it because I didn't have the original Pre to swap it with! While it makes sense I was never told about this. I wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to travel down the country JUST to pick up the phone as well!

So a warning to those on O2 Insure, make sure you have the original handset when your replacement comes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by canderoc View Post
    This doesn't make sense, you're probably getting the 'run around'.
    Fight for the PRE! You'll be miserable with the alternatives.
    I've had both a PRE and a PIXI. Despite people hacking on the PIXI, I have no major complaints, it is even better in some respects. The keyboard is easier to use and the battery lasts longer.

The two things you might find unbearable is the lack of WIFI and screen size. I do not use WIFI, so no loss there. The screen is a bit smaller, but you get used to it real quick.

The big question is how dedicated are you to the WEBOS platform.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

+1 on getting the BB and selling it to easily afford a Pre or Pixi from eBay with change in your pocket.
    You should consider yourself soooo lucky!! Here in the states your insurance doesnt cover water damage, well at least at sprint, heard the same with other carriers....

I was droping the cosby kids off at the pool while surfin the net on my pre(so awesome) got up, turned to flush and BAM, SPLASH... (F***!!!!)

I did not hesitate one second, grabed my pre from the murky waters, pulled the battery and walked it into the sprint store. My only option, pay $100 for a referb... I didnt get the choice of a new BBB or Pixi... no I didnt.... told the rep I would think about it.

Went home that night, turned on my pre(yes it worked) and now have been using it for the past 3mos with no problems

"Winning is not a sometimes thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. ~Vince Lombardi
    Quote Originally Posted by kquaken View Post
    You should consider yourself soooo lucky!! Here in the states your insurance doesnt cover water damage, well at least at sprint, heard the same with other carriers....
    Uhmmm TEP from Sprint DOES cover water damage. It actually explicitly states that water damage is covered by the $100 deductible.
    I was told by my sprint rep that because I have water damage it wasnt covered by my insurance(asurion) but that I could pay $100 for a new one, not receive a free replacement.

However I was saying that he was lucky to have the choice of getting a replacement

"Winning is not a sometimes thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. ~Vince Lombardi
    Quote Originally Posted by kquaken View Post
    I was told by my sprint rep that because I have water damage it wasnt covered by my insurance(asurion) but that I could pay $100 for a new one, not receive a free replacement.

However I was saying that he was lucky to have the choice of getting a replacement

The 100 is for the insurance (that is your deductible), the free one would be for warranty defect (Sprint would then return to Palm).

My guess is the OP is either also paying a deductible just as you or I would, or he is paying more for insurance per month to cover water damage with no deductible (since he mentioned he is going through insurance as well).

I think this is a case of the Sprint rep not properly explaining your options to you. For you TEP (Total Equipment Protection, that goes thru Asurion) you would contact Asurion directly, and pay the deductible over the phone (at least that's how we have done it in the past when a phone was stolen). For water damage this would be your only legit form of replacement vs. buying a new (or used) phone. This should be the same way O2 is operating, he had to use insurance for water damage, if it had been a defect, it would have been free for the OP (not going through insurance and not being told he had to choose another phone) through the factory Palm warranty.

BTW, TEP works the same way in the US, if you are using insurance and they don't have your phone, they replace with equal or better value. Once again when we had to use it for the stolen phone my wife got a slight upgrade on her phone with the insurance replacement.