View Poll Results: Took the wrong chance on the Palm Pre...

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 2.38%
  • No

41 97.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As I read more than post on here, just wanted to take the time to say thank you to the developers and programmers here dedicating their time to the homebrew community. You guys are the ONLY reason I still have this thing.

I avoided the iPhone like the plague, and I think WebOS is THE best mobile OS, but the Palm Pre is junk. I bought the Pre 1st day, signed up for a 2 year contract family plan and switched over from Verizon. I had researched phones for 1 year, waiting and waiting and waiting. I had wanted the Blackberry touch, but that turned out to be junk. Then I waited for a few more to be released and likewise they were not good. I took a chance on Palm as I hate Apple's anti-consumer, incremental update product life cycles.

3 Sprint Palm Pre's, 3 touchstone chargers, 3 sets of accessories and $1,300 later can't help but feel I made a huge mistake. I've also been through 4 replacements. The latest one is about to go back making it 5, and the amount of time spent on the phone with tech support has driven me close to the point of insanity. Whille improving the phone through the amazing work of people on this forum has been fun, we shouldn't have to go through this just to get the device to function correctly. Perhaps ignorantly, I'm hoping a new WebOS device will be better, but recently, I just been feeling as though I got swindled.

Anyone agree with me here?
    you are in the minority
    Have had mine since day one at Verizon launch with no issues.
    issues or no... Best phone I have ever used.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    Have had mine since day one at Verizon launch with no issues.
    same here,,no issues and love it,,best phone I ever had and I myself are not in a rush for new hardware. Pre does everything I need and more. When new hardware is here,that will be cool,but for now I love this device.
  6.    #6  
    Actually, no I'm not. In my household alone, we have 3 Palm Pre's. None run well. We just tolerate it. Take a look throughout these and other forums, and most of the topics are problematic. I believe you are the minority for having one that "works."
    Quote Originally Posted by hwoarang_do View Post
    3 Sprint Palm Pre's, 3 touchstone chargers, 3 sets of accessories and $1,300 later can't help but feel I made a huge mistake. I've also been through 4 replacements. The latest one is about to go back making it 5, and the amount of time spent on the phone with tech support has driven me close to the point of insanity. Whille improving the phone through the amazing work of people on this forum has been fun, we shouldn't have to go through this just to get the device to function correctly. Perhaps ignorantly, I'm hoping a new WebOS device will be better, but recently, I just been feeling as though I got swindled.

Anyone agree with me here?
    How did you spend $1,300? I bought my Pre for $200 on launch day and have had 4 Pre's now. None of them cost me a single dime (I even got a new battery for free). Are you breaking these phones? If so, you might want to consider TEP (Total Equipment Protection). I've had only great luck and service with Sprint.
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.
    I can't see giving up my Sprint Pre(minus) for anything that's currently out there. I love everything about it. I've used iPhones and HTC's and I just hated the interfaces. WebOS is just perfect for me. But, to each their own.
  9.    #9  
    I notice some of the same names from the responses in this thread as I do in others. Your message is always the same....I find it hard to believe that your device is perfect....
    Actually, no I'm not. In my household alone, we have 3 Palm Pre's. None run well. We just tolerate it. Take a look throughout these and other forums, and most of the topics are problematic. I believe you are the minority for having one that "works."
    most forums will be filled with people having issues needing help, that's what they are for, people mostly don't think it's inportant to post a thread saying"i woke up and called someone sent an email and listened to music and I didn't have issues.
    I notice some of the same names from the responses in this thread as I do in others. Your message is always the same....I find it hard to believe that your device is perfect....
    very sorry you can't believe that,but sorry to say it's true. 9 months now and I have not had a single issue with this device.
  12.    #12  
    No, I have 3 palm pres on my account. All have been replaced at least once. I have TEP on all 3. Mine is going on its 5th replacement later today...have to go to the store as the replacement they sent me is toast and they wont send more than 3 out in a calendar year.
    I'm on my 5th device, Sprint has replaced every one under warranty and I haven't lost a thing. Best phone I have ever used even though it isn't perfect. And if you were having some problem you would be glad I or some of the others were posting here.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    When people have problems they find places to rant or ask for help on fixing it. When things work right and someone has 0 problems, why would they seek out more information or even bother signing up to have a single post of "this phone rocks." You'll find this is true for all devices and their related community forums except on the official Apple forums where they routinely delete threads like these.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  15.    #15  
    Should have known I would get these sort of responses, but it is a Pre Forum afterall. I see a LOT of complaints over the internet, forums etc. I think a lot of people don't post topics like this as the responses they get are less than objective and they don't want to be berated by *******.

Look, I LOVE WebOS, its everything I wanted in a phone and MORE with the dev community behind it. But you cannot say the device is great. It isn't. Some thoughts that come to mind:

Cheap build quality
    Small screen
    Underwhelming hardware
    Where's the RAM?
    High harware failure rate
    What happened to my battery life, I just charged it and it's down to 94% and haven't done anything?
    Even the replacements arrive with dead pixels and are defective
    Small Keyboard
    Incredible lag without an alternative Kernel

But apparently none of you have ANY of these problems...Come on...be objective...I'm starting to lose respect as I'm seeing more fanboyism and no objectivity.
    That makes as much sense a a person who's had no problems saying that anybody who has had problems must be doing something wrong. (???)

I know there are a lot of Sprint fans out there, but they seem to have gotten he worst end of the deal at least at the start. My phone - a Verizon model - has been flawless. My buddy has a Pixi and his has been too.

What do you think the problem rate has been? There is no doubt there have been build quality problems, but do you really think your rate of issues (100%) has been typical?
    @ OP

This is confusing... You post and ask if anyone agrees with you. When the current posters don't agree you call them blind followers.

I am sure you will find some who do agree soon enough.

But if that is what you wanted you should have said "post if you agree with me".

But I'm done here. There are people who would like some help with their issues.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    That makes as much sense a a person who's had no problems saying that anybody who has had problems must be doing something wrong. (???)

I know there are a lot of Sprint fans out there, but they seem to have gotten he worst end of the deal at least at the start. My phone - a Verizon model - has been flawless. My buddy has a Pixi and his has been too.

What do you think the problem rate has been? There is no doubt there have been build quality problems, but do you really think your rate of issues (100%) has been typical?
    Following this forums since launch...I've seen the problems escalate, subside, and watched the dev community grow. Every single person I know with a Pre can't wait to get rid of it. The Verizon Pre must be a huge improvement over the Sprint. Also users have learnt to just tolerate the flaws, as have I. If it weren't for this forum I would have put a hammer to the phone a long time ago.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    @ OP

This is confusing... You post and ask if anyone agrees with you. When the current posters don't agree you call them blind followers.

I am sure you will find some who do agree soon enough.

But if that is what you wanted you should have said "post if you agree with me".

But I'm done here. There are people who would like some help with their issues.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.
    Good point. How do I change the title....

Cheap build quality
    Small screen
    Underwhelming hardware
    Where's the RAM?
    High harware failure rate
    What happened to my battery life, I just charged it and it's down to 94% and haven't done anything?
    Even the replacements arrive with dead pixels and are defective
    Small Keyboard
    Incredible lag without an alternative Kernel

But apparently none of you have ANY of these problems...Come on...be objective...I'm starting to lose respect as I'm seeing more fanboyism and no objectivity.
    Again, my friend, lets apply some logic here:

1) Cheap build - only if it fails for you.
    2) Underwhelming hardware - middle of the pack when it was released. By CURRENT standards underwhelming... but if was then why did you buy it?
    3) Where's the RAM? - At Verizon
    4) hardware failure - see #1 & #3
    5) Battery life - a problem but one that can be adjusted for hard to say without knowing what you are running.
    6) Lag? - The kernel is an easy customization easier than other phones on the market. if it's too hard, don't use a Pre.

Finally, unless I missed something, the only one berating people on this post is YOU. (Nobody here accused YOU of being a F-A-N_ _ Y)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast