Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I found lots of threads comparing & complaining about start-up time. I'm not interested in that. I'm trying to understand WHY it takes so long.

I don't understand why it takes so long. Everything is solid state so I would think startup would be much faster, if not nearly instant. Isn't everything essentially running at light speed (limited by RAM / ROM access times) since there's no mechanical media? Even if it executes lots of code at startup, what makes it run so seemingly slow?

Thanks for any info.
    Probably because it's a teeny, tiny computer/phone/GPS/etc. etc. that you can use anywhere anytime, in the palm of your hand. Just my opinion :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by blaircraigon View Post
    Probably because it's a teeny, tiny computer/phone/GPS/etc. etc. that you can use anywhere anytime, in the palm of your hand. Just my opinion :-)
    There are other smartphones based off of Linux and Unix that are also tiny computers (Android/ Iphone) that don't take nearly half as long as the Pre does.
    LunaSysMgr is what takes it so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I thought it had a teeny tiny tape drive and it had to load the OS from tape And no one ever remembers to rewind the tape, so it is even slower if it has to rewind it first...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Just because it is solid state that does not mean it is fast solid state. An SD card is slower than a hard drive. I do not know what chips Palm used, but I doubt they are high speed. Probably marginally better than an SD card.

Blackberries also take a very long time to start up. I know both the Blackberry OS and the WebOS use Java very heavily. The Blackberry OS is pretty much all Java. The WebOS is Linux at it's core but uses Java for quite a lot. Maybe it is Java that is the bottleneck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    What this guy said. The hardware is technically booted, it's this piece of software (that makes everything function as it functions) that takes so long.

If you have ever booted or done a luna restart and gotten a call or text msg, at a certain point you can tell those apps are already loaded cuz you get the notification/ring.
    Is there a way to remove the boot screen so we can see what its actually doing during boot? (much like other linux installs)
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Even running webOS in the VirtualBox emulator on Windows 7/Dual Core system it boots slow.

Of course it is probably EMULATING the slowness.
    A good example of most subsystems loading early is to have a bluetooth headset on. About 1/3 of the way through the boot sequence, you will get the confirmation and syncing beeps telling you that your headset is connected.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Ok, we know that lunasysmgr is the one who makes the boot up slow, but why?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Ok, we know that lunasysmgr is the one who makes the boot up slow, but why?
    Because it's crappy Java.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    The Galaxy S does not have WebOS. Therefore it is useless to I.
    Just timed it. 4:20 running at 500MHz and 3:04 at 800MHz. That's a very long time. My Treo took a long time as well. I'll have to dig it up and see how long it took.
    Quote Originally Posted by otrc View Post
    Just timed it. 4:20 running at 500MHz and 3:04 at 800MHz. That's a very long time. My Treo took a long time as well. I'll have to dig it up and see how long it took.
    I heard the 1005 mhz overclock makes it start up in like 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    IF this is the cause, what is it doing that takes so long? Is there any way for Palm or homebrew to optimize it? Maybe some sort of straight loading like a ROM load instead of having to iterate every thing?

Calling it crappy code is not a substantive reply.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    It's obvious that coupled with a slow processor and 256MB of RAM you'll have slow bootup time.

Anyone with a Pre Plus with the 1ghz overclock kernal should test this out. I bet you it will be a little over a minute bootup time.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    IF this is the cause, what is it doing that takes so long? Is there any way for Palm or homebrew to optimize it? Maybe some sort of straight loading like a ROM load instead of having to iterate every thing?

Calling it crappy code is not a substantive reply.
    There is a whole thread dedicated to this in one of the development forums on P|C ....

Anyways, there is probably no way to *fix* it without MAJOR changes, this is not just something you can make go faster. Think about it like this, LunaSysMgr is EVERYTHING you see when your phone boots. So you would have to basically preload an app while LunaSysMgr boots in the background.

Even if this is possible, I don't see it being something that could be installed with a simple patch (but then again I continue to be amazed at what these folks are figuring out).

If you are really interested in it, you should read the thread (I only made it a page or 2 in) about increasing boot speed/shortening boot time.
    running @ 1005Mhz booted in 1:55... And thats still slow compared to what it used to be. Dr your phones before you run the test, it gets gradually longer each and every day to boot. I remember back with the original 720-800mhz.sh's my phone booted in 1:15ish after a clean dr...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast