Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I just started at a new job and they don't supple the phones, only the support for accessing your work emails. Unfortunately they only support BB and the iphone. I'm on Verizon and the thought of going back to a BB reallys SUCKS.
    Wow, I know your pain. I had a BlackBerry for work once and hated it. Did they give a reason for not supporting the Pre? I mean, seriously, it's just a matter of entering a few settings.
    my work said this to me at first, but I found that the cert for the other phones worked for me. the CAB will not obviously, but the cert was the same as the others. I would try getting it and try it out...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    They told me that it was a security issue and that WebOS is not safe for the firm. I asked him for the setting to try but he said he could get in trouble if he gave them to me. Ahhhhhhhh!
    Wow. I hate this dude already....man that sucks. You should ask him how is WebOS any less secure than iOS?
    If they are so concerned about security, you should ask why they still support Iphone. The phone that up until sometime last year lied to exchange servers about what security capabilities it really supported.
    Sounds like they are using the Good messaging client. They have a WebOS client and were prepared to release it for public beta but then they found a security hole and put it on hold till after the HPalm merger was complete. Hopefully this will happen soon so I can get my wife on a Pre (Good is what her company uses).
    Quote Originally Posted by rhauer View Post
    They told me that it was a security issue and that WebOS is not safe for the firm. I asked him for the setting to try but he said he could get in trouble if he gave them to me. Ahhhhhhhh!
    Ask them for the details of the security risk.
    If you have company webmail that is Microsoft Outlook Web Access, you can typically use that address "webmail.yourcompany.com" as the server address. Then enter your DOMAIN\username combination you use to log into your network account. WebOS supports enterprise class security (remote wipe, etc). Your IT is being lazy and creating excuses, it would take less time to actually just set up the phone for you.
    same here. I just carried a bb for data only and expense my monthly cell phone bill.

do they support iphones? A few of our execs have them and I figured out how to sync with exchange through the same mechanism the set up for the 'chosen' that have iphones...
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    My employer says they just support WimMo phones, period. I have to go to the OWA site to get mail, which is a pain and subject to browser-related issues. They don't sound convincable at all about this issue, either.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    I would request instructions from your respective IT departments on how they configure mail support for iPhone/WinMO (supported device / not blackberry) and then just extrapolate the settings to your WebOS device. If they use microsoft exchange and don't require some crazy VPN software on the phone, then you should be able to hit the server externally from your WebOS device the same as anything else (other than blackberry, which requires BES account on the server).
    if they spport winmo, you should be able to make it work. I just hit the url they use, accepted the certificate, and then applied the same settings to a new EAS account.
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    I would request instructions from your respective IT departments on how they configure mail support for iPhone/WinMO (supported device / not blackberry) and then just extrapolate the settings to your WebOS device. If they use microsoft exchange and don't require some crazy VPN software on the phone, then you should be able to hit the server externally from your WebOS device the same as anything else (other than blackberry, which requires BES account on the server).
    Only problem with this approach is how the employer will react to an employee using a non approved device to connect to their servers. Some employers respond quite harshly to IT security policies being circumvented (up to and including termination). OTOH those companies are often Blackberry only.
    It seems to me this isn't a problem of getting it to work, it is a problem with the employer not allowing the use of a webOS device.

If you are willing to push things on your first couple of days, I would request whatever documentation they have upon which their decision is based. Who knows, it could be coming from RIM or Apple themselves. Remember all the hoopla about how insecure the Pre was, I think all of those issues have now been addressed.

But remember, just by asking you are calling someone's judgment into question and at a new job that may not be the best choice of action.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I think Mikey47 hit the nail on the head here. Since they are currently supporting activesync (iOS) you're WebOS phone will work fine. For whatever reason their IT dept has chosen not to support WebOS, but something makes me suspect its because they dont know anything about it, and not that they have a good reason. It just sounds more "professional" to say something about security which places the end user in a place they know nothing about and usually decide to just let it go.
    Last edited by Traxion; 07/15/2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Only problem with this approach is how the employer will react to an employee using a non approved device to connect to their servers. Some employers respond quite harshly to IT security policies being circumvented (up to and including termination). OTOH those companies are often Blackberry only.
    I agree, but from the way the post was phrased I was under the impression that webOS was not supported, which is different than verboten.
    It sounds like a lazy tech. I would offer them a bald-faced lie that "OK, well I will go to my carrier and get a winMo/iPhone, can you get me the written instructions on how to get that set up so I can get my calendar this weekend?"
    then, of course... just use the information to configure webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhauer View Post
    I just started at a new job and they don't supple the phones, only the support for accessing your work emails. Unfortunately they only support BB and the iphone. I'm on Verizon and the thought of going back to a BB reallys SUCKS.
    Don't know how accessible the IT department is, but the setup for a Pre is virtually the same as for IE (assuming your company is using Exchange and EAS). You might be able to contact them and ask them to give you the same level of access as an iPhone user, and ask for the server information that an iPhone user would use.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    It's possible your company is being lazy and not bothering to understand the phone, or it's possible they have a requirement that the phone be encrypt-able. If they don't require encryption you may be able to make the case that Pre is as good or better than iPhone.

There's some related discussion here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ncryption.html
    Most companies support the iphone because of numbers. As more and more people were carrying the iphones (including top end execs) they started supporting it. If you are the only person in your company that is using a webOS device I can see why they won't support it. Companies don't generally want to support anything but windows mobile or blackberry. Push for some high end execs to get a webOS device and you will see that company policy change.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast