1.    #1  
    On Pres not on Sprint (so no Sprint TV)....what options exist for streaming video? I'm thinking Netflix, Hulu, etc....I know these aren't released to WebOS yet, but do you guys see either coming in the future? I'm especially interested in Netflix streaming on my Palm Pre...this is an epic feature of the iPad.
    flash which is not out yet....
  3.    #3  
    True, I guess that's required. I found it interesting that Netflix and Hulu both block all mobile devices by default - flash or no flash (for instance, neither worked on the EVO 4G I had). They choose to "unlock" access by certain devices (usually in the form of apps, such as iOS). Just curious if anyone had heard if/when one might be in the works for WebOS. I know an Android app from Netflix is in development. Perhaps the low WebOS market share is a detrimental factor here.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    True, I guess that's required. I found it interesting that Netflix and Hulu both block all mobile devices by default - flash or no flash (for instance, neither worked on the EVO 4G I had). They choose to "unlock" access by certain devices (usually in the form of apps, such as iOS). Just curious if anyone had heard if/when one might be in the works for WebOS. I know an Android app from Netflix is in development. Perhaps the low WebOS market share is a detrimental factor here.
    Well, the normal flash Netflix site requires Microsoft Silverlight, so even it wasn't blocked, it wouldn't work.

This is also why Netflix still doesn't work on Linux. Blah blah silverlight, blah blah licensing agreements. They can work out a deal to delay rentals by a month, but they can't get a deal to add Linux support? Idiots aren't even trying. I wish someone could get ahold of Microsoft's Silverlight plugin for Linux. They do have one, they just won't release it besides on commercial devices.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    netflix will need more than flash. Youtube is your best source.also, you can probably strream your own stuff through Orb.
    I have been using ORB for a couple years on my centro and now on my Pre. Works well for serving your own video, pictures and audio. There is no client for WebOS but the mobile site works fine other than it can be a bit cumbersome

Check out "Definitive Guide To Setting Up Orb On Pre" by deesugar
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...p-orb-pre.html
    IIIxe -> Handera 330 -> Tungsten C -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre-, Pre2 & Touchpad 32

http://about.me/robert.whisler
  7.    #7  
    Ah, I forgot about Silverlight...but there must be some way around that, because Netflix streaming has been on iPad/iPhone/iTouch for a few months now. Perhaps there is a Silverlight plugin for iOS?

Why did Netflix even go with Silverlight? Why not just HTML5 video? (Speaking of...does the Pre support HTML5?)

EDIT: Thanks for the Orb recommendation and link, I'll check that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Ah, I forgot about Silverlight...but there must be some way around that, because Netflix streaming has been on iPad/iPhone/iTouch for a few months now. Perhaps there is a Silverlight plugin for iOS?

Why did Netflix even go with Silverlight? Why not just HTML5 video? (Speaking of...does the Pre support HTML5?)
    The workaround is for Netflix to write its own app to work on your phone. As for why Netflix went with Silverlight, it is due to licensing agreements with the rights owners that stipulate not only which platforms Netflix is allowed to stream on (which is why they don't stream on Linux, and for something like Hulu, why they prohibit streaming to anything on than a web browser on your PC), but also how it manages DRM - that is why they settled on Silverlight.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM