Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I used to have a Sprint Pre and should be receiving my Verizon Pre Plus today via FedEx. I ordered the official hotspot option, but I know this is only good to 5GB per month. Above and beyond 5 GB each month, I was hoping to use myTether. Can anyone comment on whether or not myTether still works with Verizon Wireless/has been blocked or not yet?

(As info, I'll be using this as my primary home Internet connection for my Macbook - replacing Comcast! I don't use the Internet very heavily at home, but I do use about 15 GB per month, which is definitely beyond the 5 GB limit.)
    I believe 5 gb limit applies to all data use by the phone - whether from the phone itself or any form of tethering (including MHS or MyTether).

I would advise against MyTether based on my own experience. Is not reliable and virtually no support is available from the developer.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  3.    #3  
    Wow! Thanks for the quick response.

Data from the phone is still unlimited (see the graph at the bottom - note it's for personal and business - higher prices are business - I'm paying the $29.99/month for personal: hxxp://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/businesscallingplans/unlimitedbiz.html ). It's only the mobile hotspot that is currently limited to 5 GB (though VZW is set to limit data on phones, too, in the near future). But that's interesting that myTether is maybe included in that, too - pretty depressing, actually. I guess I can't get Verizon to verify that, either, haha.

Is there any alternative to myTether? Any other similar program?
    Freetether + Mobile Hotspot can be installed on a Sprint Pre (detailed instructions on other threads). But since Verizon comes with Mobile Hotspot already that shouldn't be necessary for you.

My understanding is that even with the "unlimited" data plans, if you regularly exceed 5 gigs a month you run the risk of getting into trouble with your carrier.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

5.    #5  
    Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware of that. Maybe I'll be getting CLEAR 4G at home after all.

It's depressing to see this "counter-evolution", as I call it. Implementing data limits on previously unlimited usage (like AT&T's absurdity) just boggles my mind. Our world is becoming more and more mobile-centric and data-centric and these greedy carriers (who are already turning a profit just fine) want a bigger and bigger share of the pie.
    If you want to minimize data usage from your Pre make sure you use WiFi for your Macbook whenever available, instead of tethering.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    My experience was that you can't use or have MyTether and Mobile Hotspot installed at the same. I used MyTether quite successfully for many months, but when Verizon made the Mobile Hotspot free, I tried it but couldn't get it to work. I even uninstalled MyTether, did all sorts of resets, and nothing was able to get Mobile Hotspot working. Only after I doctored my Pre did Mobile Hotspot work. I believe MyTether makes enough changes when installed to break Mobile Hotspot.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the additional info. Starting to think I won't be going that route now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    My experience was that you can't use or have MyTether and Mobile Hotspot installed at the same. I used MyTether quite successfully for many months, but when Verizon made the Mobile Hotspot free, I tried it but couldn't get it to work. I even uninstalled MyTether, did all sorts of resets, and nothing was able to get Mobile Hotspot working. Only after I doctored my Pre did Mobile Hotspot work. I believe MyTether makes enough changes when installed to break Mobile Hotspot.
    Now that's interesting, because I was able to get the work-around Mobile Hotspot working on my Sprint Pre just fine after removing MyTether. Maybe because I didn't have MHS on my phone before installing MyTether.

At any rate, after weeks and weeks of frustration with MyTether not working (even though I paid $15 for it) I finally gave up and switched to MHS, and it seems to work great for me.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

10.    #10  
    jjeffcoat, do you have true unlimited data on Sprint, or does that also have the 5 GB soft limit?
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    jjeffcoat, do you have true unlimited data on Sprint, or does that also have the 5 GB soft limit?
    I believe the 5 gb soft limit applies, although I have never come close to it.

There are several previous threads on this topic if you want to do a search.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post

My understanding is that even with the "unlimited" data plans, if you regularly exceed 5 gigs a month you run the risk of getting into trouble with your carrier.
    This is incorrect Verizon Allows you to use true unlimited data from your phone when not using mobile hot spot..

the 5gb is only for the mobile hotspot connection

Edit: From my bill

1528299.06KB of Unlimited Used
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    what are you doing that you'll go past the 5GB limit? Especially on the phone directly... Don't forget when you have Mobile Hotspot enabled (Verizon) the data on the phone goes towards the 5 GB limit. So when not using it disable it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware of that. Maybe I'll be getting CLEAR 4G at home after all.

It's depressing to see this "counter-evolution", as I call it. Implementing data limits on previously unlimited usage (like AT&T's absurdity) just boggles my mind. Our world is becoming more and more mobile-centric and data-centric and these greedy carriers (who are already turning a profit just fine) want a bigger and bigger share of the pie.
    I know this is a bit off topic, but I did see an article recently that said it's possible AT&T is making very little money, if any, off the iPhone because of what they have had to invest in infrastructure to support the unlimited data. It may not be the huge cash cow for them that everyone thinks (revenue yes, profit no). From that standpoint, I can see that it might make sense for them to use caps so they can get more money out of the people who are using it the most. As a consumer, if that's what's necessary to have them continue the service, it's worth it if I'm not a heavy user.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    This is incorrect Verizon Allows you to use true unlimited data from your phone when not using mobile hot spot..

the 5gb is only for the mobile hotspot connection

Edit: From my bill

1528299.06KB of Unlimited Used
    Thanks for the correction. Was under the impression from previous threads that the "unlimited" data plans on all the carriers has that soft 5gb limit.

How do they distinguish where the data use comes from? Does MHS keep a separate log when you are tethering?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Thanks for the correction. Was under the impression from previous threads that the "unlimited" data plans on all the carriers has that soft 5gb limit.

How do they distinguish where the data use comes from? Does MHS keep a separate log when you are tethering?
    That's what I'd like to know. I'm confused now, can someone answer this for me:

1. My VZW Palm Pre Plus has unlimited data on the phone side
    2. Mobile Hot spot from VZW has a 5 GB monthly data transfer limit
    so...
    3. MyTether would have a ______ monthly data transfer limit?

I'm curious about point 3.

----

As for the question about using more than 5 GB of data transfer in a month, I did this all the time with my Pre on Sprint and my iPhone and iPad (each) on AT&T Unlimited. I tend to use my mobile devices as my primary data and entertainment sources, which might explain the "heavy" usage.
    I have a palm pre plus through verizon and I used to have mytether installed, but after realizing mobile hotspot is exactly the same (and since I never get even near the 5gb cap) I deleted mytether. And to answer your question, yes mytether works on verizon.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks, Josh. Did myTether work Ok for you (i.e. a lot of bugs and such)? I know I will go over the 5 GB Mobile Hotspot limit by about 10 GB each month. Do you know if the myTether data transfer falls under the unlimited phone data, or the 5 GB monthly Mobile Hotspot cap?
    As far as im awear of providers check via a 3 month to 6 month avg of your data use when making a assumption. Its kinda like insurance through your work, you may only work 24 hours when required to have 31, but as long as you work an avg of that amount you will be ok / get flagged vice versa.

Sprint prides itself on saying its unlimited data. The evo may be changing that information. At&T and Verizon limit the data usage to the 5GB. At this point sprint is only the truely unlimited provider. I have called up and have been specifically told regardless of the data used I will not be charged.

I myself use Mobile Hotspot on Sprint, but vary rarely. Its more of a, im on a trip/vacation/hotel and want a reliable internet connection. But thats a rarity in itself.

Providers will have to begin to understand that all of this "app" and cloud information we are going towards will just push up data usage. Sprint knows this, and always have. They currently stat there are no plans to implement data usage limits.
  20.    #20  
    Klownicle, I have to respectfully disagree with you on the point that VZW limits monthly data transfer to 5 GB. Their Website (and my order documentation) is filled with numerous mentions of the unlimited email and Web data plan for $29.99 per month (which I purchased). There are no disclaimers that mention a soft or hard cap - and believe me, I did a lot of searching before I purchased. Having been customers of both Sprint and AT&T in the past, I knew that I loved Sprint's truly unlimited data offering, and hated when AT&T abandoned unlimited data transfer for their ridiculously hobbled current data pricing structure.

I am just curious as to why you assume VZW is limited to 5 GB per month? I know this is true for the Mobile Hotspot (which VZW clearly states), but according to what they've told me, data usage on the phone itself (i.e. Web browser and apps that access the network, along with email) is unlimited.

I am not trying to start an argument. Just wondering if you could elaborate on this point. I'd be curious as to where this info is coming from - if VZW has bent the truth in their dealings with me, I will go ahead and return the phone now.

(As info, I know that Sprint and VZW both in 2006 introduced what were supposedly "soft" caps on 3G phone data usage at 5 GB per month. Both were well-publicized when they abandoned this strategy 1-2 years later.)

I agree with you that providers need to get with the times. AT&T's absolutely counter-innovative move left me stunned and annoyed. Guess that's what we get, though, from a U.S. government that allows the major wireless phone providers to merge into two major players. The affordability of unlimited 3G data access overseas just stuns me - many European countries have unlimited 3G access for 10 euros a month. Unbelievable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast