1.    #1  
    Ok, I've been a palm fan/user for 10+ years. My current palm device is a TREO 650. After a loooonggg wait, I bought and I'll be receiving my Palm Pre Plus tomorrow via fedex. Got in on the "free deal" between ATT and HP. Anyway, my question might be answeered already, but I've not found it after reading up the last 2 days.. This might be a technology ignorant question... But here goes... When i get my Pre and connect to a WiFi network to use the Pre apps (web surfing, etc), does this Wifi connect time consume data against my AT&T 200mb data allocation plan? I'm thinking it does not as it's not using the phone service when connecting to wifi, right?

Thanks and I appreciate the gentle nature that your responses will be (since I am a newbie). Looking forward to much forum and Pre Centeral reading in the coming days/weeks.
    No, data traffic over wifi does not use your plan data.

Welcome to PreCentral, by the way. There is a lot to learn here!
    Hi Sheamus and Welcome to the P|C forums! Congrats on taking the plung - you're gonna love it (coming from an ex Treo 650 and 680 user). Garrett hit the answer on the head for you.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/14/2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Garret92c is absolutely right.... wifi isnt part of your plan.... neither do they take data limit for OTA updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamus View Post
    Ok, I've been a palm fan/user for 10+ years. My current palm device is a TREO 650. After a loooonggg wait, I bought and I'll be receiving my Palm Pre Plus tomorrow via fedex. Got in on the "free deal" between ATT and HP. Anyway, my question might be answeered already, but I've not found it after reading up the last 2 days.. This might be a technology ignorant question... But here goes... When i get my Pre and connect to a WiFi network to use the Pre apps (web surfing, etc), does this Wifi connect time consume data against my AT&T 200mb data allocation plan? I'm thinking it does not as it's not using the phone service when connecting to wifi, right?

Thanks and I appreciate the gentle nature that your responses will be (since I am a newbie). Looking forward to much forum and Pre Centeral reading in the coming days/weeks.
    As has been answered, it won't. But I'm concerned for your 200mb data allocation. That's very small for a Pre. I've done gigs some months...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    As has been answered, it won't. But I'm concerned for your 200mb data allocation. That's very small for a Pre. I've done gigs some months...
    Agreed. As the pre is connected to the cloud and backs up daily, it will be using a LOT of data. I would keep a pretty good eye on your usage to make sure you don't go over. Ahhhh AT&T. Gotta love em!
    Welcome again to the community. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. It is best to search for things on your own, but there is a lot to know and the members here (for the most part) will be more than happy to lend a helping hand. Just make sure to thank them for their efforts!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  7.    #7  
    great answers all... thanks... and yes, I opted for the 15$ min data plan package as I'm paying for this myself, not the company... Also, as i'm usually near my workstation or computer with a 24" inch LCD, I "thought" I'd not be using it as much as most other folks... probably will to start off, (new toy syndrom), but most of the time I'd rather use my 24" LCD... but I will keep my eyes open and make sure I don't get slammed with overage charges.. yes ahhh... AT&T

again... thanks all for the kind introduction to this forum!!!
    Just curious...what made you go with AT&T over Verizon? VZW is still offering unlimited data on their smartphones, though this is about to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Just curious...what made you go with AT&T over Verizon? VZW is still offering unlimited data on their smartphones, though this is about to change.
    Unlimited... up to 5 GB
    They removed the 5 GB cap sometime ago, and will be re-introducing limits (like AT&T) on their upcoming 4G LTE service: hxxp://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/businesscallingplans/unlimitedbiz.html
  11.    #11  
    reason i went with AT&T is that I've used them for the last 8 or so years and have been pretty happy... i have a company discount through my wife's work and we have a pretty good family plan (3 cell/lines). and yea, I'm thinking that the min 15mb plan is probably not going to suffice...
    I hope they end up changing policy again on the data limits. I understand that unlimited @ $30/month may have been too cheap. But I would have gladly paid $60/month for unlimited. Or $30/month for, say, a 50 GB or 100 GB limit. Anything is more reasonable than 5 GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamus View Post
    great answers all... thanks... and yes, I opted for the 15$ min data plan package as I'm paying for this myself, not the company... Also, as i'm usually near my workstation or computer with a 24" inch LCD, I "thought" I'd not be using it as much as most other folks... probably will to start off, (new toy syndrom), but most of the time I'd rather use my 24" LCD... but I will keep my eyes open and make sure I don't get slammed with overage charges.. yes ahhh... AT&T

again... thanks all for the kind introduction to this forum!!!
    Just remember that even if you are sitting at your desk using your huge monitor on your PC, you Pre can still be consuming data. If you setup email accounts, Facebook, Twitter, etc. -- this consumes data even while you are not interacting with your phone.

So, keep in mind although you may not do a lot of surfing during the day it still can add up quickly.

For instance, I am on a business trip to Canada right now. When the plane landed in Toronto is booted up my phone and in the five minutes it took me to remember that I still had data turned on it consumed 246K worth of data (on that outrageously expensive international roaming rate).

Luckily there is also the ability on the Pre to completely turn the data off for the phone so it does not consume any data whatsoever.
    They removed the 5 GB cap sometime ago, and will be re-introducing limits (like AT&T) on their upcoming 4G LTE service: hxxp://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/businesscallingplans/unlimitedbiz.html
    Just bought my new Pre less than a month ago from the Verizon store and the sales guy told me that this 5 GB cap was still in place. I was considering ditching my cable internet access and using my Pre as my sole access point until I got nervous about going over that cap.

You telling me the guy at the store was wrong?

So if what you're saying is true and they do 'reintroduce' limits, would it only apply for new customers, or would it also apply to people who had bought during the unlimited phase?
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinoishere View Post
    Just bought my new Pre less than a month ago from the Verizon store and the sales guy told me that this 5 GB cap was still in place. I was considering ditching my cable internet access and using my Pre as my sole access point until I got nervous about going over that cap.

So if what you're saying is true and they do 'reintroduce' limits, would it only apply for new customers, or would it also apply to people who had bought during the unlimited phase?
    There is still a soft cap at 5gb a month. Plans may say "unlimited", but in the Acceptable Use Policy it is clearly stated that 5gb a month is the max.

Any changes they make to their plans should only apply to new customers. I don't think they are allowed to change existing contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinoishere View Post

There seems to be some confusion here in the limits I am referring to. Phone-side (i.e. your phone's Web browser, etc.), there is no limit - it is unlimited data usage. The hotspot is limited at 5 GB of data transfer per month.

Hope that helps.
    ah, ok. thanks. However, I have wondered in the past if there really is a difference. As far as the phone is concerned it's just pulling down data. Does Verizon really know if that data was pulled using the phone itself or another device?
    That's what makes me curious. Perhaps the Mobile Hotspot program on VZW uses a custom HTTP port that VZW monitors for data usage. I am not sure ... but I would like to use MyTether to replace my awful Comcast home Internet. I only use maybe 15 GB per month at home, on average, so I'm hoping I can get away with this using MyTether instead of Mobile Hotspot - guess I'll see.
    That's what makes me curious. Perhaps the Mobile Hotspot program on VZW uses a custom HTTP port that VZW monitors for data usage. I am not sure ... but I would like to use MyTether to replace my awful Comcast home Internet. I only use maybe 15 GB per month at home, on average, so I'm hoping I can get away with this using MyTether instead of Mobile Hotspot - guess I'll see.
    Hmm, interesting theory (using MyTether to avoid the 5GB limit). Someone around here has to know if that would work or not.

Also, just out of curiosity, how do you have any idea how much data you use per month? This would be useful for me to know in order to determine if I could ditch my Comcast account and just use my Pre for access.
    That's what I hope to find out. I mean, it's just so tempting...and I hate Comcast so much anyway.

I haven't used an official meter, only guesstimates. I've looked up how much transfer Netflix streaming uses (my primary Internet usage at home, and I wish very much that Netflix would release a WebOS app), and then used the data transfer I'm using on my phone each month. (I'm a boring dude by nature and visit the same sites at home and on the go - 99% of them being finance-related, hehe.)

I think there are tools you can get, though, that would more officially measure your data transfer usage.