Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    Not the most talked about topic but it has been mentioned a several times, so I thought of making a thread to see who else is interested. The OMAP 3430 in the Pre is definitely capable of encoding and decoding video therefore is possible to record videos in HD of up to 720p. You may not get the full 30fps but the kernals to overclock your Pre's CPU would provide support, although 24fps and nothing more is really what's visible to our naked eye, recording a 720p video at 24fps shouldn't be a problem. The Samsung i8910 (Omnia HD) has the same OMAP 3430 spec with the same CPU and has the HD recording feature.

    So why shouldn't the Pre customers be able to take advantage of what's possible from the phone's hardware? Wouldn't we like HD recording in our Pres? If not then atleast WVGA since that's the commonly used resolution now due to Widescreen TVs, adding 720p codecs to the device really isn't asking for much, or is it?
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
  2. Shaikh's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    Not the most talked about topic but it has been mentioned a several times, so I thought of making a thread to see who else is interested. The OMAP 3430 in the Pre is definitely capable of encoding and decoding video therefore is possible to record videos in HD of up to 720p. You may not get the full 30fps but the kernals to overclock your Pre's CPU would provide support, although 24fps and nothing more is really what's visible to our naked eye, recording a 720p video at 24fps shouldn't be a problem. The Samsung i8910 (Omnia HD) has the same OMAP 3430 spec with the same CPU and has the HD recording feature.

    So why shouldn't the Pre customers be able to take advantage of what's possible from the phone's hardware? Wouldn't we like HD recording in our Pres? If not then atleast WVGA since that's the commonly used resolution now due to Widescreen TVs, adding 720p codecs to the device really isn't asking for much, or is it?
    I did not know this (so thank you for informing me), and I 100% support what your saying. I would Love a 720p recording option with my pre!
  3. #3  
    I would guess the Pre can't play a 720p mp4 file. Mine has issues play the normally recorded 480p videos some times.
  4. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #4  
    The Pre struggles with SD now, I doubt it could handle HD...
  5. #5  
    Mine even has trouble recording now. It ends up being really choppy and fragmented. I'm even overclocked to 720MHz.
  6. Shaikh's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    The Pre struggles with SD now, I doubt it could handle HD...
    Thats sadly true... even with the overclock kernel there still are audio/video sync problems which are annoying especially in the longer videos.

    That sync error must be fixed before we move to better video capturing.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    Mine even has trouble recording now. It ends up being really choppy and fragmented. I'm even overclocked to 720MHz.
    The files in the firmware may not be fully optimised with the phone's hardware as this is why the issue arises Palm needs to take a look at this and also consider adding a higher resolution, even Nokias with 200MHz can even record in WVGA so it's not a problem that can't be fixed, Palm just hasn't bothered focusing on that area as not many demanded it, but iPhone 4G has proved it wrong.
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
  8. #8  
    It's also possible that the camera itself can't put out the frame rate at HD resolutions. There are lots of places in the processing chain for the bandwidth to get hung up.
  9. #9  
    Palm first have to work on a better compression, if a 4 minutes video with the current resolution weights like 80 mb, I can't imagine an HD video.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It's also possible that the camera itself can't put out the frame rate at HD resolutions. There are lots of places in the processing chain for the bandwidth to get hung up.
    All the processing is carried out by the OMAP 3430 chip therefore there won't be such a thing, and the megapixels on the camera doesn't matter as long as it's above 1280 x 720, the pre has 2048 x 1536 (3MP) so there currently are no restrictions, as for other examples besides the Samsung i8910, Sony Ericsson are releasing an update for the X10 mini pro which would support 720p recording however the phone carries a Qualcomm MSM7227 600MHz which is a step down to the OMAP 3430 and it also has 3MP similar to the Pre, so like I said all is possible no restrictions but they just need to implement it with a 720p encoder, they should refurbish the whole Camera app altogether really and give us more options, just a shoutout to Palm

    Your right about the lags and the processing chains, but the hardware including the camera is fully capable, it's really up to the software.
    http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...emplateId=6123
    Last edited by bawezy; 07/14/2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Palm first have to work on a better compression, if a 4 minutes video with the current resolution weights like 80 mb, I can't imagine an HD video.
    That is normal for an MP4 file, compression is usually a thing to stay away from as that reduces quality.
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
  12. #12  
    I want to be able to recordd videos over 30 seconds and be able to play them first. The camera needs a LOT of help software wise such as basic settings.
  13. #13  
    during the demos for the recording feature that Dieter blogged, the Palm rep did say that recording was 480x320 and they will turn-up the recording resolutions at a later date. So it is possible but we just haven't seen it yet.

    Check out the video Skip to about 33 seconds into the video.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 07/14/2010 at 11:09 PM.
  14. #14  
    iiiiinteresting. this dude did his h/w before he opened a thread!
  15. #15  
    I love the compression. Audio and video are both crisp. I don't mind how big the file is as long as I don't notice the horrible compressions like I would on YouTube. I'd welcome HD recording just as long as the audio wouldn't take a hit. We'd need microSD cards haha which sucks because Palm left us hanging on that one.
  16. #16  
    I have asked this same question in the past and have been told the phone is to slow... But with the supposed system fixes and battery fixed in the supposed 1.4.5 or 1.4.5.1 that should be hitting sometime in the next decade the phone should be able to do it then, but of course only after someone makes the patch/app as HPALM will most likely not.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  17. #17  
    I posted this back in January.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...real-time.html

    Multimedia / Gaming:

    IVA 2+ a second-generation, power-optimized version of TI's imaging, video and audio accelerator used in TI's DaVinci™ technology provides up to 4x performance improvement in multi-media processing versus previous OMAP processors. The increased capabilities of the IVA2+ enables multi-standard (MPEG4, H264, Windows Media Video, RealVideo etc.) encode and decode at DVD resolutions. With the advanced multimedia capabilities of the OMAP3430 a multi-standard DVD-quality camcorder can be added to a phone for the first time. In addition, the ARM's vector floating-point acceleration, coupled with the OMAP3430's dedicated 2D/3D graphics hardware accelerator, provides outstanding gaming capabilities.
    The chipset supports hardware accelerated DVD resolution recording.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  18. #18  
    so if this were possible would it also increase the quality of the still camera too?
  19. #19  
    As bawezy said, the camera has got 2048 x 1536 (3MP). You are already shooting HD stills. The only thing that could be changed softwarewise would the JPEG compression of the images. However e.g. the pixellation in areas with low light is a result of the CCD chip receiving too little information (light) on a pixel (that and dust/scratches on the lens). Raising the resolution by interpolation would not help in any way with the visuals.

    Bottom line: to improve still photography quality, one would need better hardware. This has nothing to do with software or processing power.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    Bottom line: to improve still photography quality, one would need better hardware. This has nothing to do with software or processing power.

    This is 100% correct, and absolutely applies to video as well.

    The lens on the pre is a poorly formed plastic bubble. There is nothing that anyone, anywhere on earth, could do to create a meaningful improvement to the still or video quality of the pre, because at the end of the day, you're still using a tiny, low-quality, imprecise, PLASTIC lens.

    Making the Pre record 720p video, would be akin to taking audio from a home-made microphone, of your dog farting, and using that audio to make 320Kb mp3's.

    Higher resolution != better quality.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions