Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    All the processing is carried out by the OMAP 3430 chip therefore there won't be such a thing, and the megapixels on the camera doesn't matter as long as it's above 1280 x 720, the pre has 2048 x 1536 (3MP) so there currently are no restrictions
    Actually, camera chips are limited to certain frame rates at certain resolutions. So even though you have enough pixels to form an HD image, the camera sensor itself may not be able to cycle fast enough to make good video. For example, the frame rate at full frame might be 2 fps, at 1080p it might be 5 fps, at 720p it might be 12 fps, and at 480p it might be 30 fps. I have no idea what the actuals are.

    I don't know that to be the case with our particular sensor, but it is another possible limitation. There is more involved than just the processor.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 07/15/2010 at 05:27 AM.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Making the Pre record 720p video, would be akin to taking audio from a home-made microphone, of your dog farting, and using that audio to make 320Kb mp3's.

    Higher resolution != better quality.
    Genius! ^_^ Do you mind, if I use this analogy everytime from now on anyone claims, more MHz will make everything better?
    'til we meet again.
    THL
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Actually, camera chips are limited to certain frame rates at certain resolutions. So even though you have enough pixels to form an HD image, the camera sensor itself may not be able to cycle fast enough to make good video. For example, the frame rate at full frame might be 2 fps, at 1080p it might be 5 fps, at 720p it might be 12 fps, and at 480p it might be 30 fps. I have no idea what the actuals are.

    I don't know that to be the case with our particular sensor, but it is another possible limitation. There is more involved than just the processor.
    I can see where you are coming from, it is all down to the CMOS sensor and if the camera is able to perform in 720p. In which this case we would need to know what CMOS sensor the Pre uses. But that research is currently inadequate, as most CMOS sensors on phones nowadays are able to even perform 1080p video capture with minimal lag, but the hardware and the processing power doesn't let it do so in this case the OMAP3430 does:

    IVA™ 2+ (Image Video Audio) accelerator enables multi-standard (MPEG4, WMV9, RealVideo, H263, H264) encode/decode at D1 (720x480 pixels) 30 fps, and up to 720p resolutions

    So there is already an image accelerator built-in to provide support up to 720p resolutions, the CMOS sensor should also be able to provide that support unless they've used a 10 year old chip, but then again you would ask yourself why would they? Even iPhone 3GS can perform 720p with the same hardware the Pre has, but they too decided to implement it on the 4G instead due to marketing. But I can see where Apple are coming from, since they attract a lot of consumers anyway they decided to add the feature to the 4G instead to make customers think it's a huge jump, well it is but not from when comparing what the 3G is capable of performing, so people like us that are browsing this thread are less likely to get fooled.

    Now going back to Palm, if they were to release the Pre Plus with 720p recording, they would have gained so much revenue by now as it was released before the 4G the big jump would have attracted consumers. So there isn't any point really to release a new Palm model that has the 720p recording feature implemented as Apple have already come up with that and that would simply show that Palm is years behind in their hardware and that way they may lose consumers. So then again releasing a new model just to implement the 720p recording feature is an inadequate move at this very time, if they do intend to do such a thing.

    Then Palm you might as well make-do-mend 720p recording available in the next firmware update to make your customers happier, I'm even satisfied with D1 resolution as having a piece of hardware in my palm that's capable of doing so many things should at least be able to capture in DVD quality, I'm sure most if not all of you would want that, all it takes is H264 encoding and decoding files and a few tweaks in the camera app, we all know the phone is capable.

    I'm personally not a fan of Apple and this isn't me ranting, I love my Pre, just a shout out to let Palm know that it's possible and we know it's possible, having the feature equipped will make us smile a little more.

    It all refers back to this page iPhone 3G S Hardware Can Record 720p Video, so Why Doesn't It? | Fast Company
    and
    http://www.taranfx.com/iphone-3g-s-i...ording-capable

    As things turn out this is an arbitrary limit set by Apple possibly to conserve battery life or to simply match previous models

    As iPhone 3GS share the same hardware it shows that even the Pre can also playback video in 1080p but I'm 100% certain capturing in full HD is impossible, but it won't be a problem with 720p, so now we know, limitations are via software not hardware.
    Last edited by bawezy; 07/15/2010 at 09:58 AM.
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
  4. #24  
    Yeah, but who wants 720p recording just to say you have it when it won't look good? The current Pre video is JUST passable. Sound is excellent but video is very mehh.

    Look at the Evo, it does 720p but it looks and sounds super average....almost just plain bad.

    The Pre wasn't built to do 720p...no need to upgrade it to that just for a spec bump.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Yeah, but who wants 720p recording just to say you have it when it won't look good? The current Pre video is JUST passable. Sound is excellent but video is very mehh.

    Look at the Evo, it does 720p but it looks and sounds super average....almost just plain bad.

    The Pre wasn't built to do 720p...no need to upgrade it to that just for a spec bump.
    That's just your opinion, this thread was intended to clarify it's capability with 720p recording, there are many more that would look forward to having the feature, if not then at least D1 or WVGA recording as it'll be good to watch your vids on your new widescreen TV. And I disagree of it not looking good, it is able to record 720p in 24fps at minimum how is that not good?
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    Genius! ^_^ Do you mind, if I use this analogy everytime from now on anyone claims, more MHz will make everything better?
    Not in the slightest. I'm a big fan of pointing out the foolishness of thinking that you can make everything better by improving one aspect, whether we're talking about phones, computers, cars, whatever.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    ...it is able to record 720p in 24fps at minimum how is that not good?
    Well, as I already said, it wouldn't be good because the OPTICAL quality of the camera in the Pre is so low, that increasing the resolution isn't going to make a meaningful difference.

    Think of it in terms of old-school SLR still cameras. If you put an old, crappy, moldy lens on your camera, you can't get nice clean pictures out of it by using pro-quality film. The lens is still a piece of junk.

    So, if the quality won't increase, then the only thing you'll do is create a larger file sizes.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Well, as I already said, it wouldn't be good because the OPTICAL quality of the camera in the Pre is so low, that increasing the resolution isn't going to make a meaningful difference.

    Think of it in terms of old-school SLR still cameras. If you put an old, crappy, moldy lens on your camera, you can't get nice clean pictures out of it by using pro-quality film. The lens is still a piece of junk.

    So, if the quality won't increase, then the only thing you'll do is create a larger file sizes.
    It needs to be seen to be believed
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
  9. #29  
    I do not agree with the more MP means higher resolution/better quality... There are 3MP digital camera's that are palm sized and under $60 that shoot good quality 1080P video "ask a skater & browse YouTube if you don't believe me"... All it is, is processing power to properly and quickly encode the input.

    The lens is only as good as the lens... Well that's true and the Pre shoots good stills, so therefore why could it not shoot good video's? The stills are HD but the video is SD.

    & yes I own a good HD Camera and a good HD Video Camera and know the difference.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  10. #30  
    Well, when considering the same sensor design, in order, the following components are important:

    1. LENS
    2. SENSOR BUILD QUALITY (within reason)
    3. Mega PIXEL

    If the pre lens is good, and the sensor is an expensive ($12.xx), it is possible to produce HD video...and with an o.c. kernel, you have plenty of power, so post an app or patch request once palm allow devs access to the camera!

    Remember 3MP is 2048x1536...well within the 720 resolution, and with that high quality Sensor, a video is effectively 24 images a second, so yeh, with a o.c. kernel, its entirely plausible.
    Last edited by phil.hsr; 07/22/2010 at 03:02 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions