Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a patch to allow us to save MP3 attached to an email? Yes, I can play the MP3, but I want to save it somewhere in my USB drive. I can use Internalz to move the file to a specific folder, but I need to be able to actually download the MP3 to our Internal/Media folder. How does one do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Is there a patch to allow us to save MP3 attached to an email? Yes, I can play the MP3, but I want to save it somewhere in my USB drive. I can use Internalz to move the file to a specific folder, but I need to be able to actually download the MP3 to our Internal/Media folder. How does one do that?
    i dont think you can at the moment. i've tried and looked everywhere but nothing works. i believe someone already put in a patch request for this.
    There are temp folders that attachments download to prior to opening, but not sure about MP3s - they may just stream without downloading first.

The temp folders are difficult to locate. I discussed this in a previous thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rmat-vids.html
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  4.    #4  
    Well, the only solution I have to wirelessly get MP3/MP4 files on my Pre is to drag and drop a MP3 file to my Dropbox. Then "stream" the MP3 file on my Pre via Dropboxify. Then using Internalz, find the cached MP3 in the Dropboxify folders and copy the file to my Internal/Media folder or my ringtone folder. I tried to do the same with email, but can't find the cached file when "playing the MP3" from the email app. HP/Palm should fix this. I find it funny that my old Palm OS Treo 700p/Centro would allow me to save the MP3 using Chatteremail (awesome email app for Palm OS).

At least with a patch to the SMS app, you can MMS a MP3 to another phone.
    Well, the only solution I have to wirelessly get MP3/MP4 files on my Pre is to drag and drop a MP3 file to my Dropbox. Then "stream" the MP3 file on my Pre via Dropboxify. Then using Internalz, find the cached MP3 in the Dropboxify folders and copy the file to my Internal/Media folder or my ringtone folder. I tried to do the same with email, but can't find the cached file when "playing the MP3" from the email app. HP/Palm should fix this. I find it funny that my old Palm OS Treo 700p/Centro would allow me to save the MP3 using Chatteremail (awesome email app for Palm OS).

there's a way to download, ill explain when i get back
    The files are stored in these locations when received as attachments.

The buckets folders for email are located in /var/luna/data/attachments

and the MMS folders are in /media/internal/.attachments

The folders are created in numeric order so the highest number should contain the most recently received attachment. I am also fairly sure that if you clear out your inbox it also clears out the buckets folders and starts with 1 again. Someone could verify that and repy if you wish.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The files are stored in these locations when received as attachments.

The buckets folders for email are located in /var/luna/data/attachments

and the MMS folders are in /media/internal/.attachments

The folders are created in numeric order so the highest number should contain the most recently received attachment. I am also fairly sure that if you clear out your inbox it also clears out the buckets folders and starts with 1 again. Someone could verify that and repy if you wish.
    Just install internalz from preware navigate to /var/luna/data/ and touch/hold on attachments when the dialogue appears select copy. A window pops up click on /media/internal (the words not the + sign) and click select. Music app should recognize the mp3 now. No patch needed although, in comparison to other patches out there, it does not seem like auto copying of new mp3s would be that hard to make.

if you download the multi mod patch you should be able to download the files
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoled985 View Post
    if you download the multi mod patch you should be able to download the files
    Multi mod will only give you the option to stream/download if you are accessing the files via an internet link. So if you hosted them on a file server somewhere you could get them on your phone that way.

If they are attachments to MMS or email they will have to move them from the respective attachment locations (in my post above) into /media/internal/ and the folder of their choosing (ie. music, ringtones etc.) once there.

They can use Internalz and do it all from their phone.

It works (this method), it just isn't very intuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by nullr View Post
    Just install internalz from preware navigate to /var/luna/data/ and touch/hold on attachments when the dialogue appears select copy. A window pops up click on /media/internal (the words not the + sign) and click select. Music app should recognize the mp3 now. No patch needed although, in comparison to other patches out there, it does not seem like auto copying of new mp3s would be that hard to make.
    Yes, copying the entire attachments folder into /media/internal will allow the music app to find the files. However there may be many other things in those folders that will take up space and produce unwanted results not to mention make managing the music on your Pre a real pain if you do it this way.
    Yes, copying the entire attachments folder into /media/internal will allow the music app to find the files. However there may be many other things in those folders that will take up space and produce unwanted results not to mention make managing the music on your Pre a real pain if you do it this way.
    Here's an idea -

Copy the the attachments folder to /media/internal/ as described above, then attach the device to a PC via USB mode, then use the search function to find the files you need. Then move those files to the folder you want them to stay in and delete the copied /attachments/ folder.

Haven't tried that, but seems it should work. Will give it a test when I have the chance.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Here's an idea -

Copy the the attachments folder to /media/internal/ as described above, then attach the device to a PC via USB mode, then use the search function to find the files you need. Then move those files to the folder you want them to stay in and delete the copied /attachments/ folder.

Haven't tried that, but seems it should work. Will give it a test when I have the chance.
    Sounds like a plan that will work.

Although... if you can connect to a computer via USB mode then wouldn't it just be easier to put the music files in your music folder that way in the first place (even if they came as an attachment to email that you can access from your PC).

I think the intent was what to do while on the go with no PC access.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Please allow me to quote myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I 100% agree that a patch or app to do this would be GREAT!

However, in the meantime, it CAN be done...just not "simply".

Make sure you've downloaded the mp3 through the e-mail app (so, if you open the message and click on the attachment, it plays right away).

Now...

- Open "Terminal" (available via Preware)
    - type "cd /var/luna/data/attachments" <--Note the space between "cd" and the first "/"
    - type "find -name *.mp3 <enter>
    It will give you a list (including the path) of every mp3 that's in one of the subfolders of "attachements". Make a note of which "bucket" folder it's in, and which sub-folder of that it's in.

So, now you know what's there...and where it's at.

- Now, use the app "Internalz" to navigate to "var/luna/data/attachments"...there you will find many "bucket" folders (note...some have a"-" in-between "bucket" and the number, some don't). Find the "bucket" folder that has the mp3 you're looking for. In THAT folder will be one or more numbered folders. Go into the folder that has your mp3 (I usually only note the fist 3 or 4 numbers, that's all you need to know)

There's your mp3.

- Click it, and you'll have the option to copy...navigate to /media/internal/ - plus whatever path you've got for your music (mine is /media/internal/music - very original, I know).
    Sounds like a plan that will work.

Although... if you can connect to a computer via USB mode then wouldn't it just be easier to put the music files in your music folder that way in the first place (even if they came as an attachment to email that you can access from your PC).

I think the intent was what to do while on the go with no PC access.
    Would be a viable option if you had a PC available but not access to internet. Or if your e-mail is blocked by a work PC.

Edit:
    I notice from the post above that there is a way to search for files using Terminal. I was not aware of that - looks like that is an ideal solution to the problem!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    Please allow me to quote myself.
    Quite honestly I am pretty sure your post is the one I learned of the attachment locations from. I just didn't include the Terminal search option in any of the answers I provided.
    Success! Installed Terminal and figured out how to search for & find files in the /var/luna/data/attachments/ folder.

Would be a little easier if the font in Terminal was larger, and if Terminal allowed you to paste from the clipboard. But it will do for the time being until a search function is added to Internalz.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

If you stream the mp3 and then use Z-Corder, Z-corder will save the streamed mp3. Then just use internalz to rename the file and move it where you want it. It also works with you-tube audio
    if you are streaming the mp3 just use the multi mod patch and it will give you an option to stream or download the file.
    if you are streaming the mp3 just use the multi mod patch and it will give you an option to stream or download the file.
    Does multi-mod work with e-mail? I thought it was just for the browser...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Does multi-mod work with e-mail? I thought it was just for the browser...
    It is for the browser. But if you had a link to the file in an email multi-mode would work when you tap the link.

If el-dheeb was talking about playing an email/mms attached MP3 and capturing it with z-corder then that is different I suppose. I just wouldn't classify that as streaming.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast