1.    #1  
    I browsed the boards and this seemed to be the most appropriate place to put it, if it is misplaced please move to the appropriate board and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Just as a heads up to any one else who bought the geeksquad warranty from best buy when you bought your pre:

Best Buy no longer carries the Pre, therefore, if you have any issues, you will not be able to get a new Pre. They told me today (at a Miami, FL store) that all they could do was give me a loaner phone (some low grade dumb phone), and if they couldnt fix it I could either get a Moment or a Hero because that is "the next phone up".

More than likely I'm just going to go to a Sprint store since the issue that I have is pretty common, it sucks thought that I'm going to basically have to eat the $80 I've paid so far in warranty costs.
    depending on your state, they must refund either the total amount or the pro-rated amount for the time you did have it.
  3.    #3  
    It is the monthly service plan, so I pay 10 a month, do they still have to refund or is it just the pro-rated amount of the $10 for the month?
    I heard of people getting the full value of the Pre from BB because they no longer carry the Pre and couldn't fix the phone, so before I settled on a crap Moment or Hero, I would at least try to get the value of the phone from them and get an Evo or something.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I would try to get your money from them, then consider the Craigslist route for your next Pre, especially since we are likely getting new equipment in the not to distant future. I have yet to purchase a Pre from anyone other than 3rd party, and we are so far a 3 Pre family, with a spare, that will become someone's Pre eventually (we have 2 kids on lesser phones atm).

It looks like the Miami, FL Pre market is full of options. I have never paid more that $150 for near brand new Pre phones.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I would push on this. I'm not in your exact situation, but had a geek squad warranty on a laptop a few years ago. When my power cord broke, they had me go right to the manufacturer to order it and they paid for the cost. Why can't they do that for you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I heard of people getting the full value of the Pre from BB because they no longer carry the Pre and couldn't fix the phone, so before I settled on a crap Moment or Hero, I would at least try to get the value of the phone from them and get an Evo or something.
    this is typically the case
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    You should post this at the Best Buy community forums and see what they can do for you.

Most likely they will work with you and your Best Buy to get a good resolution. I personally had to talk to the people there to get my Pre properly replaced (there was some issue with the GPU and 3D gaming).

My local BB told me there "was a loose cable" so I contacted the BB community people. Next day I had a brand new Pre in my hand (that was back in January).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I had the Best Buy warranty and my Pre was run over with a car. They said it was junked out but they didn't have any more Pres and gave me an Evo. The entire process took around 3 weeks.
    I tell everyone I know, that I do not go to BESTBUY, why? Because it like going to a used car dealership named ''honest john's auto'' or buying an electronic branded ''lucky goldstar''

for future reference of coarse, I would try for the money and get a pre via sprint advanced exchange. Just call *2 and say you need to do an advanced exchange, please send me to the appropriate level of tech support.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by suzi View Post
    I would push on this. I'm not in your exact situation, but had a geek squad warranty on a laptop a few years ago. When my power cord broke, they had me go right to the manufacturer to order it and they paid for the cost. Why can't they do that for you!!
    I tried to push on this and they said the issue was that Sprint is no longer providing third party sellers with Pres, so they can't really go to Palm (through Sprint) for a new pre.

When it comes to pushing for a good phone, I really like webOS and as much as the EVO sounds like a great phone, I want to keep a Pre. My options really are to go to sprint and get my Pre replaced for free (which means I paid monthly warranty from BB for nothing) or try to push for a smartphone from BB because they've made it extremely clear that I will not be getting a new Pre from them under any circumnstances.

I'm going back tomorrow to talk to the manager of BB Mobile at the store where I bought it to see what their best offer is. I mean, my phone functions, I am just angry that I've been paying this warranty for basically no help from BB.
    Wow, I am astounded that Best Buy won't even contact Palm and order a replacement on your behalf that way. Just one more reason I have now to hate Best Buy, hehehe.
    your "warranty" costs should be 100% refunded to you
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren001 View Post
    I tried to push on this and they said the issue was that Sprint is no longer providing third party sellers with Pres, so they can't really go to Palm (through Sprint) for a new pre.

P.S. They're definitely lying to you on this point. The Pre is still very much available from Sprint on sites like tmiwireless.com.
  15.    #15  
    Well, I am happy to report that after talking with the Best Buy Mobile manager at the store, things are looking a lot better.

He told me that I could basically get any phone they have available, even the EVO. I told him I really liked webOS and he completely agreed with me on the webOS love. He checked with other Best Buys just in case anyone had left any Pres in store, but they did not. He then checked with the warranty dept and told me that geek squad doesn't associate a serial number to a warranty until you send it in for service. Before that point all that it shows is that you have warranty for a Palm Pre, not a specific Palm Pre.

So what I told him that I would do was go to Sprint, exchange it under the Palm warranty in the Sprint store. He completely agreed with me and told me if there are any issues to talk to him, so all in all, I am once again happy with the customer service.