1.    #1  
    Pardon the ignorance, but I am a bit confused. Considering that 'Mobile Hotspot' is one of the highly touted features of the AT&T Palm Pre +, how would one use the feature unless there is an app either azlready on the phone or downloadable from the app store? How would someone, who bought the phone from AT&T and is on their network, use this feature? I have an AT&T Palm Pre+ but for the life of me I cannot find anything on the phone. I presume there ought to be an app (icon) for this. Isn't there anyone here who has the AT&T phone is using the 'Mobile Hotspot' on AT&T?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    check at the catalog! should b theare...
    No it isn't.

MHS is Verizon exclusive. You will have to extract it from the Verizon Doctor and install it via command.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    at&t has their own tethering client that you get from them. It isn't a hotspot, it tethers to one PC...
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    at&t has their own tethering client that you get from them. It isn't a hotspot, it tethers to one PC...
    And that is built in. It isn't through Wi-Fi, but through Bluetooth. All you need to do is establish a PAN connection to the phone from your computer.

AT&T needs to enable tethering on their end though (DUN connections).
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    there might be a slight confusion with ATT hotspot with the Verizon Mobile Hotspot

ATT Hotspot lets you connect automatically to an ATT hotspot if its available in your area

whereas

Verizon Mobile Hotspot lets you connect up to 5 different wireless devices to your phone and use your phones data connection
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And that is built in. It isn't through Wi-Fi, but through Bluetooth. All you need to do is establish a PAN connection to the phone from your computer.
    How does one "establish a PAN connection to the phone from your computer"? Earlier today, for the first time I turned on Bluetooth on the phone to try and connect to the PC. Although I was able to add the Palm Pre as a device and got a Pass Key which allowed the phone to connect to the PC, there weren't any other options to do anything else.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dameweg View Post
    there might be a slight confusion with ATT hotspot with the Verizon Mobile Hotspot

ATT Hotspot lets you connect automatically to an ATT hotspot if its available in your area

whereas

Verizon Mobile Hotspot lets you connect up to 5 different wireless devices to your phone and use your phones data connection
    That explains my confusion. I was sure i had read something about AT&T and the term 'Hotspot' when they first launched the Palm Pre+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    That explains my confusion. I was sure i had read something about AT&T and the term 'Hotspot' when they first launched the Palm Pre+.
    For tethering on an AT&T Palm Pre Plus, use either MyTether (mine works without the freetetherd patch, but others report needing it) or get the Verizon Mobile Hotspot version with the patches. I have not personally used it, cannot vouch for it.

Keep in mind that AT&T doesn't really want you to tether. If you tether your PC to the Internet using your Pre, and you use lots of data doing it, they could choose to take action by either making you add the tethering feature, or although highly unlikely, they might try to move you over to tiered data so you'll end up paying for the data you use over 2GB per month.
    If you just tether occasionally, then you probably won't ruffle any feathers and they won't bother you, however, if you plan on tethering daily or tethering a lot, then you could get caught.

No matter what your situation is, one thing I can vouch for as being true, the Pre works wonderfully as a MiFi hotspot using MyTether and I've heard the same from Mobile hotspot users too, so go ahead, enjoy it!

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 07/18/2010 at 10:43 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    ok barry , my question is where do you get the app from. Is it under preware??
    Mobil Hot Spot is not in Preware as it is not a Homebrew app or patch.

It is 2 files, that are needed , that must be installed via WEBOSQI, or Command line

There is a long post about it, and where to get the files here:

http://tinyurl.com/pre-mhs
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    For tethering on an AT&T Palm Pre Plus, use either MyTether (mine works without the freetetherd patch, but others report needing it) or get the Verizon Mobile Hotspot version with the patches. Think theres a mod with everything in Preware, but since I have not personally used it, cannot vouch for it.
    Thank you Barry. Actually I am using the AT&T unlocked phone in India on Vodafone and I have a data plan that allows tethering, so no issues from the service provider. I suppose I'll try the 'Verizon Mobile Hotspot' files and see how it goes.