View Poll Results: Are you having any problem(s) using a overclock kernel?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes:

16 11.59%
  • No:

122 88.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, y'll

This is a poll solely base upon the using of a Custom overclock kernel on your device.

This is one of the many ways of getting a percentage of custom kernel users, that are either experiencing, or not experiencing problem(s) after installing an overclock kernel.

(Note) Problem(s) has to be started from, or after directly installing a custom overclock kernel, after a clean wipe from webos doctor. Please let your voice be heard on here. Poll closes on the 19th.

Ps. Please don't tell me their should be other options. All other explanations can be placed in their appropriate thread. Thank You.
    Last edited by rush; 07/14/2010 at 06:49 PM.
    Using UberKernal with Govnah

Screenstate: 500-720 w/o Compcache enabled.

Only problem I have with the kernal is that I can't get compcache enabled and work without lagging and locking up my Pre after a few minutes.
    Also on Screenstate the reason I use the 500 MHz on the lower is I have tried the 250 MHz (much lower I think would result in not enough "power" to function to send/receive calls) and when I did the phone locked up and had to pull the battery.

But been running with my current setup with no problems.
    Though not a noticeable difference in most cases, in others the overclock rocks!

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Hi, y'll

This is a Yes/No thread, on the using of a kernel on your device.

This is one of the better ways of seeing the percentage of kernel users, that are either experiencing, or not experiencing problem(s) with using a overclock kernel.

Ps. Please don't tell me their should be other options. All other explanations can be placed in their appropriate thread. Thank You.
    Rush, no problems with just a yes/no poll. But can you please clearly stipulate that the problem must be as a direct result of having a custom kernel installed. And that the problems would be reproducable after a doctor?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Rush, no problems with just a yes/no poll. But can you please clearly stipulate that the problem must be as a direct result of having a custom kernel installed. And that the problems would be reproducable after a doctor?
    Sure will. Poll as been edited. Thanks!
    Last edited by rush; 07/14/2010 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post

EDIT: I'm kinda with Pip on this. Our mouse and keyboard actions are coordinated online.
    Im getting that feeling aswell. I saw you beat me to the diagnosing the usb mode problem earlier this morning I will beat you next time.

Sure will. Pole as been edited. Thanks!
    Thank you. It is definitely interesting to know whether people do have genuine problems from just a custom kernel.
    I didn't have issues with a kernel until I updated to the latest one with the compcache built in. Now I have an issue where my phone will periodically drop it's data connection and I have to restart to get it to come back. Also I can't reliably switch profiles in Govnah anymore, most of the time when I tap a different profile to switch the app just locks up and my phone goes into a lag-fest and I have to reboot.

I disabled compcache this morning to see if that helps at all. If not, I'll try rolling back to the previous release of UberKernel.
    Guys, tell me if you agree or not, but im thinking that we should only question whether people have problems with the public realease of Uberkernel. There are so many iterations of the alpha kernels, and as they are alpha kernels they are prone to bugs, that if we included problems with these then the poll would not yield any reliable or useful results.

Let me know if anyone agrees.

@themirthfulswami, you should probably report this in the uber thread and ask if you can test further in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Guys, tell me if you agree or not, but im thinking that we should only question whether people have problems with the public realease of Uberkernel. There are so many iterations of the alpha kernels, and as they are alpha kernels they are prone to bugs, that if we included problems with these then the poll would not yield any reliable or useful results.

Let me know if anyone agrees.
    I agree somewhat...

I think dealing with a public UK release is still VERY broad since so many people really don't take the time or have the ability to verify that their issue is kernel related.

Not to mention so many don't follow the instructions, don't ensure a clean system to start with, and aren't willing to Dr. to troubleshoot and duplicate any issues.

So I'm not sure what mileage can be gained from this poll.
    no issues here
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I didn't have issues with a kernel until I updated to the latest one with the compcache built in. Now I have an issue where my phone will periodically drop it's data connection and I have to restart to get it to come back. Also I can't reliably switch profiles in Govnah anymore, most of the time when I tap a different profile to switch the app just locks up and my phone goes into a lag-fest and I have to reboot.

I disabled compcache this morning to see if that helps at all. If not, I'll try rolling back to the previous release of UberKernel.
    Same here. Before the update, I was fine. Afterward, however, I get random phone shut downs quite often.
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    Same here. Before the update, I was fine. Afterward, however, I get random phone shut downs quite often.
    So did you roll back to the previous one in order to see if that is what was causing it?

Are you running identical settings to what you ran the previous one at?

Have you attempted to go back to the stock kernel to see if you still have the random shut down problem?

Does the random shut down problem happen after performing certain actions or running certain programs?

All of these things and maybe some additional things need to be done to verify whether your issue is UK related, or some other issue.
  12.    #12  
    I agree on all aspects. However, whatever is causing these issuses/problems are real. This is not a poll to definitely pin point the problem, but to somehow have an idea of the percent of overclockers, who believes/think it's cause by a overclocking kernel. Lets just see the votes, and then take it from there. Ok!
    Last edited by rush; 07/14/2010 at 07:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post

So what you are saying is, you are still trying to determine what is causing your issue?
    10 people will vote Yes, 3 of whom have slider issues, 2 have wallpaper resets, 4 have EAS issues, and the rest just have a random reboot every 15 days.
    10 will vote No, and 9 of those will actually have a kernel issue, just not custom, but related to the stock kernel, because they either think they installed UK but haven't, or just like clicking checkboxes.
    +1. Most people don't really know if their specific problem is actually caused by installing a new kernel. Add to that the number of test and previous other kernel projects still floating around, and this kind of poll is useless (at best, more likely totally misleading).
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    No any issue with F105 Thunderchief kernel.
    Screenslate 125Mhz - 1005Mhz
    WebOS 1.4.5
    Only issue I've had is stuttering every now and then while playing bubble bash. Streaming video is having issues too, but that has always been wonky.
    : (){:|:&};:
  17.    #17  
    I can't wait to read Rod's reaction to this poll
    My poll is to see how many overclockers, think that their phone is having issues since overclocking. Nothing more, or nothing less.

If my poll offend anyone... Then just don't "VOTE"
    Last edited by rush; 07/14/2010 at 03:10 PM.
    UK & Govnah at Conservation 500/800 with 25% freq..

This setting works the best for my Pre, although turning screen on after idle would take few seconds at some times..
    My pole is to see how many overclockers, think that their phone is having issues since overclocking. Nothing more, or nothing less.

If my pole offend anyone... Then just don't "VOTE"
    I don't think anyone is offended Rush. I think we just want to be very cautious how we categorize or characterize very real user issues that may or may not be related to a custom kernel.

Of the few that have stated issues it is clear that they don't know what is causing their issue and yet we have posted a donkey for them to pin a tail on.

There are enough nay sayers already, I don't think this is helpful when there is no way to verify any measure of accuracy. It all ends up being completely subjective.
    So is this poll for ALL kernals or just public releases? Seems like alpha testers have been voting as well.

Tomi666, this is a very scientific poll. Opinions aren't allowed!

Seriously though, this poll will in no way be accurate. We appreciate the effort, rush, but the poll is way too vague. Most users won't know if the actual kernal is to blame...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast