Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Hi,
    Am holidaying through Germany (from Australia.)

Has been fascniating to actually see my first Palm Pre in the flesh whilst here in Europe.

I'm debating whether I just walk into an O2 store here and buy one unlocked.

Do I need a German Credit card or address in order to buy the phone?

Will I have access to the German app catalogue when back in Australia?

Alteratively I buy the iPhone 4 back in Australia....my Treo 680 is ready for retirement.

Thanks.
    Also you do not need a credit card in order to buy the phone, that is if you have enough cash to buy it with instead
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well I have officially joined the ranks of WebOS owners...walked into an O2 store here in Berlin...and saw they had a deal of 240 Euro for the original Pre with Touchstone included. (Plus was about 480 from memory)

I had the entire thing activated and working with profile in store as I'd heard you need to make absolutely sure of this before bringing it home to Australia.

The last challenge will be figuring out how I can get a German Credit Card for app store.

I must say after following the Pre closely since announcement I am incredibly impressed with the phone....syncing with Google Accounts is brilliant...as is the ease of searching Google/Wikipedia etc.

After reading the various smartphone reviews with interest between iPhones/HTC etc etc...all I can say is...these smartphones have come a long way since I bought my Treo 680!

While I'm sure the iPhone 4 is great too...I'm very happy with the Pre so far!

Thanks.
    You can get a card number from wirecard.com It's a german based company, works great for the app catalog. You just use your regular credit card over the net to put money on it; it's a prepaid.
    @tomi666 that's right you tried helping them before. Good point.

@mavoz if you're still in germany ask around for a wirecard 2go visa. It's a prepaid real visa card you purchase at retail stores. You might get one with a small balance, see if it works in the app store preferences. If it does add some funds to it. If not use it up before you leave.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post

@mavoz if you're still in germany ask around for a wirecard 2go visa. It's a prepaid real visa card you purchase at retail stores. You might get one with a small balance, see if it works in the app store preferences. If it does add some funds to it. If not use it up before you leave.
    Thanks for the tips...that pre paid option sounds like a great one.

Thank you.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well in the few days since I've bought my Pre here in Germay for 240 Euro...have to say I'm loving it.

Have got Preware installed now....and also the German app catalog...

For some reason at first I could only see the free ones in there...now all the apps are showing up...free and euro priced ones.

Anyway the last challenge is the credit card...My Australian Visa was indeed rejected.

When I'm back in Germany in a few days I shall do some research via the help of my German Uncle on what credit card options there are...wirecard etc...

Maybe there is even some way I can actually organise a proper card via a bank (and my Uncles address?)

Wirecard 2go might be the first one to look at.
    a powerseller is selling it on ebay for 199 Euro included shipping (on ebay.de)
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Well I'm on the hunt for the Wirecard 2go visa now...tried Augsburg and people looked at me blankly..maybe it was my German!

Also tried Sparkasse bank but they explained you must have a normal German statement account before you can get a visa card...and you can't get that unless you are either German resident or here for extended time!

If anyone from Germany knows a specific chai of shops where I can buy a wirecard 2 go visa (or any other pre paid visa) would love to know...

will be in a Stuttgart soon...so shall try there.

Thanks.
    mavoz,

looks like it's just called "mywirecard". It is different than the regular online wirecard as that is a maestro or mastercard.

info:
    mywirecard

shop location in Stuttgart

Ergebnis
    Last edited by frantid; 07/22/2010 at 10:59 AM.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    mavoz,

looks like it's just called "mywirecard". It is different than the regular online wirecard as that is a maestro or mastercard.

info:
    mywirecard

shop location in Stuttgart

Ergebnis

Thanks very much for the reply...much appreciated....

Well it turns out that the "Mywirecard 2go" is actually very difficult to come by!

We started by visiting one store mentioned via their official links...

they knew nothing of it...

we then rang 4 other shops in Stuttgart where that site lists they sell them...

they don't have them...

finally in desperation we rang "My Wirecard"....the lady on the phone said...

"Oh..I don't have that information...I don't know where you can buy them!!"

As my uncle said...it is "verrückt"!

I've only got a week left in Germany...and if I can't find this thing then buying apps on my Palm Pre will be simply impossible!

Any clues anyone!

(We've emailed the company to see if anyone actually knows where any of their product is sold!!)
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Well we´ve made further progress with Wirecard...we recieved 2 emails back from them!....in one they say...

Thank you for contacting the Wirecard Service Team.

We regret to inform you that the My Wirecard Visa2Go is not really available
    on the market. At the moment it is given to customers at different trade fairs
    but cannot be bought actively in shops yet.

We apologize for any inconveniences this has caused.
    In the other they give some small hope you can find it...

Frantid have you ever seen the card for sale in shops?

Maybe in time it will become available...in the mean time...no paid apps I guess!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    This info is not correct.
    Actually, it is: Palm Pre 199€ (eBay)

I bought my Pre there ;-)
    Sorry Mavoz, I just met one person on the train that had one. He must have worked in sales or something. When I told him the story of why I was going to Germany to just get the pre. He showed me his wirecard 2go. I already signed up for mywirecard online, so I never looked for it.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Sorry Mavoz, I just met one person on the train that had one. He must have worked in sales or something. When I told him the story of why I was going to Germany to just get the pre. He showed me his wirecard 2go. I already signed up for mywirecard online, so I never looked for it.

Thanks for the reply Frantid....so the "mywirecard online" you signed up for won't help me though will it? Because it won't work in Australia?

Or is this a possibility?

I've got 3 days left in the country...so if there is some way I can get some form of Visa that will work with the app store I'd be very happy!
    why dont you ask your uncle for a prepaid credit card in his name?
    Mavoz,

I don't think you can add funds to the online wirecard with an Austrailian card. You might be able to wire funds to it though from your bank. As long as you can wire to an IBAN number you should be okay. You can sign up online at:

Home - WIRECARD AG

I would use your Uncle's address. It will give you an account number, then just walk into a bank in Germany with cash and see if they'll let you transfer money into it. I'd probably go to your Uncle's bank in case they won't do it without your having an account.
    I forgot to add signing up doesn't cost you anything. You don't get a card number until you put money in it.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies and the ideas...much appreciated....

in quite a surprise I've actually received some communication via a Wirecard rep through the messaging system of Precentral forums...they are helping me out...

...full credit to them for being in touch with the general public! (either that or someone is just playing a cruel joke on me ...sounds very genuine though)

Anyway it does appear the product is available..Wirecard 2go Visa...from what I gather the means of actually finding the product location accurately is going to receive a little bit of work on their website.

I will keep you all posted as to whether the card comes through and does work...this could be the answer to buying apps via international apps stores (well in Germany anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    I will keep you all posted as to whether the card comes through and does work...this could be the answer to buying apps via international apps stores (well in Germany anyway)
    I hope it works out for you! Please let us know, it may help a few people on here.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast