Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I swear on everything that just now my son was tethering and his cord wouldn't stay connected so I had it hooked up to the computer and phone and I was holding the phone and looking at the cord then out of nowhere the damn thing starting smoking and then flames it caught fire right after where it plugs into the phone and my wife freaked out and she's making me return all three original palm cords anyideas what the heck happened if you want pics I can email them I don't know how to post them here so pm me and I'll email them if it helps my house couldve burnt down kinda freaky
    wow wth????? I don't think the energy from the pc is even that powerful! It charges slower wow! Is it a verizon phone? (meanin is it officicial tethering)

if so palm migght want to know!
  3. OrR
    Hmm... If the cable shorted internally, it would have been your PC's responsibility to turn off USB power rather quickly which it obviously didn't... All cables break eventually so I wouldn't really blame this on Palm. It worries me that your PC's USB ports put out enough power to start a fire, though.
    Definitely a malfunction in the cord. My guess is that it was cut. It's easy for a fire to start when you are dealing with electricity.

I doubt it was a fire though. Maybe a few sparks and some smoke, but don't exaggerate unless it is true. Was the fire a centimeter high or so?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    Hmm... If the cable shorted internally, it would have been your PC's responsibility to turn off USB power rather quickly which it obviously didn't... All cables break eventually so I wouldn't really blame this on Palm. It worries me that your PC's USB ports put out enough power to start a fire, though.
    QFT. The PC is definitely what is supposed to control the power, it's just a property of USB. I'm sure the cord's damage had something to do with it but I'll tell you now, it wasn't the Pre's power that caused the fire.
    atleast yr pre is alright I hope. I would not trust that pc anymore.
  7. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    this doesn't make alot of sense. even if the cable shorted, the max a computer usb port will output is 0.5 amps at 5volts. Thats only 2.5 watts. I'm no electrical engineer, but is that really enough to heat the wire to the point of a fire? I mean plastic has to get pretty hot to ignite.
  8.    #8  
    yea the phones fine and I was tethering with freetether and mobilehotspot on a sprint pre and I probly over exaggerated a little they was a little flame and alot of smoke like from a ciggarete it just freaked us out and mt wife is VERY paronoid about fire sense our nextdoor neibors house burnt down on christmas eve when they plugged in there new xbox
  9.    #9  
    I've got pics of the cord how do I post them and sense the phone was on just charge to use freetether and hotspot would that have caused the problem? I just don't want to have it happen again sense I charge my phone in my bed next to to my head that would suck royaly LOL
    doesn't have to be a lot of power to start a fire, voltage is just push- resistance is what causes the excess amperage which would heat up the weak part of the chord eventually heating up enough to catch fire.
    Pics, or it didn't happen.
    Put them in attachments. You have to "Go Advanced" to see that option.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    sounds like two malfunctions, the computes USB power didn't shut, and there was a short in the wire.

the wire short could be the direct result of a a manufacure defect which if it worked in the past is less likely.

could be a result of a cut in the wire, or a crimp, like if you closed it in a drawr or you remove it from the pre by pulling the wire, not the usb part.

it could be due to poor manufacturing materials, and then repeated use and excess wear.

I don't know the answer but I'd these are brandy new then I would be returning them all for an exchange as well.
    please post pics. There are buttons for that at the bottom of the advanced reply screen,
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I'm wondering how this would have happened as well. It's more likely the voltage regulators in the USB power line malfunctioned, but that would cause other problems as well. Take the computer in to a reputable shop to have it checked out, and see if something else is wrong.

Of course, the other possibility is the computer PSU shorting the 5v output, in which case more power than the USB ports are able to handle might have cranked up to a full 12v. Again, that generally causes other failures (5v is being pushed out at all times, and anything else that uses 5v would be damaged as well). Never had anything actually catch on fire, the PSU will **** down before that happens.
  16.    #16  
    I'm on my phone though I can email them so someone can post them I can't get on the computer cause my wife is freaking out over the ordeal I have to return all 3 cords for new tomorrow and that's how I use my home internet other than the phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    please post pics. There are buttons for that at the bottom of the advanced reply screen,
  17.    #17  
    pm me and I'll give you my email
    Last edited by chadking; 07/13/2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: fuss n feathers said not to post email address do to bots n spam and thanks btw
    Unplug the computer from the wall entirely, and press the power button a half dozen times. It has to be unplugged because that PSU is putting out 5v at all times, even with the power off. It needs that to retain CMOS settings and wake the comp up when you turn it on. unplugging it from the wall will stop all power completely, pressing the power button several times discharges the power capacitors on both the motherboard and the PSU. Leave it unplugged until you can have it checked out thoroughly.
  19.    #19  
    if I go to the regular site with my phone can I post them there and would we see them here?
  20. OrR
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    this doesn't make alot of sense. even if the cable shorted, the max a computer usb port will output is 0.5 amps at 5volts. Thats only 2.5 watts. I'm no electrical engineer, but is that really enough to heat the wire to the point of a fire? I mean plastic has to get pretty hot to ignite.
    That's the theory. In reality, many computers will put out a bit more current than that and if your cable shorts, you're going to get a lot more current, hopefully only for a very short time.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast