Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chadking View Post
    I'll even give you my email just no spam and crap please not that anyone would but you never know
    just a word to the wise don't post emails on forums, bots will find it and spam you into the next millanium.

instead you can use the PM feature on precentral forums.
    There are four lights.
    I'm on my phone though I can email them so someone can post them I can't get on the computer cause my wife is freaking out over the ordeal I have to return all 3 cords for new tomorrow and that's how I use my home internet other than the phone
    Just do as I said. If she's freaking out over the malfunction, explain that you need to pull the power only, not actually turn the computer on. It's important, computer power supplies can cause a much larger flame and a whole lot more smoke if they finally die due to a power short. You're preventing more damage rather than risking more. The risk comes in leaving it plugged into your wall outlet.
    He emailed this video back to me:

(not as fun when you can't embed it)
  4.    #24  
    I didn't email that to you although I like it's funny LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post

[url]

chadking, any luck? You can pm me if you want, but I will be going to bed soon.

also, did you see this?

iPhone 4 bursts into flames, burns hand Boy Genius Report

your not alone.
    I swear on everything that just now my son was tethering and his cord wouldn't stay connected so I had it hooked up to the computer and phone and I was holding the phone and looking at the cord then out of nowhere the damn thing starting smoking and then flames it caught fire right after where it plugs into the phone and my wife freaked out and she's making me return all three original palm cords anyideas what the heck happened if you want pics I can email them I don't know how to post them here so pm me and I'll email them if it helps my house couldve burnt down kinda freaky
    I had a bad cord I have sense thrown it away But when ever i would plug it in to a charger it would spark a little bit you could here it and see a small flash Also when i plugged it in to the computer it would immediately shut off the PC i knew it had a short in so i just tossed it out. glad mine did not catch fire...
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    this doesn't make alot of sense. even if the cable shorted, the max a computer usb port will output is 0.5 amps at 5volts. Thats only 2.5 watts. I'm no electrical engineer, but is that really enough to heat the wire to the point of a fire? I mean plastic has to get pretty hot to ignite.
    Yes and No depending on if it was a desktop or a notebook some mother boards are designed to were the 5v for the USB is coming from the PSU its just bridged over to the USB ports via the main 5v buss on the mother board your typ. PSU can out put 20amps on the 5v buss so ya more then enough to cook the wire if its cut broken of frayed and shorted in any way Most mother boards have a regulator to help prevent shorts but if you have a cheaper mobo it may not have this i have seen things burn up when connected to this type of usb when they are shorted out for what ever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post

YouTube - Exploding Head

lmao
  9. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    You probably should edit the email asap. Add spaces and 'at' and 'dot' for '@' and '.' The spambots will be all over it like a rash otherwise.
    you should edit you post as well as the quote contains the email.

Yes and No depending on if it was a desktop or a notebook some mother boards are designed to were the 5v for the USB is coming from the PSU its just bridged over to the USB ports via the main 5v buss on the mother board your typ. PSU can out put 20amps on the 5v buss so ya more then enough to cook the wire if its cut broken of frayed and shorted in any way Most mother boards have a regulator to help prevent shorts but if you have a cheaper mobo it may not have this i have seen things burn up when connected to this type of usb when they are shorted out for what ever reason.
    I agree, that's why I said it. It sound like there is something wrong with the computer to me.
    Last edited by R_E; 07/14/2010 at 01:47 AM.
    Wow, I was running out of breath reading your posts. I had to stop reading before I passed out!
    =)
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    If this is true,

Stop using the PCs USB ports, they are broken/flawed/poorly designed and can cause a fire with any device you plug in. Most USB ports have auto-reset circuit breakers. (If they trip there is no need to reset them manually as you would with a house circuit breaker.) The breakers were designed to prevent just this situation (prevent shorts from starting fires or damaging your computer with a cable that has a high probability of developing broken or shorted wires.) Call the PCs manufacturer, there is a high likely hood this is a flaw in the motherboard and not a missing safety feature.

Throw the cable out or return it, it has a short in it.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  12.    #32  
    thanks guys for all your help I reallt appreciate it I'm returning the cords today and as soon as I get the money I'm getting the computer checked out too and thanks again btw when I have time I'll go to the regular site and thank all of you with the thanks button see ya
    I swear on everything that just now my son was tethering and his cord wouldn't stay connected so I had it hooked up to the computer and phone and I was holding the phone and looking at the cord then out of nowhere the damn thing starting smoking and then flames it caught fire right after where it plugs into the phone and my wife freaked out and she's making me return all three original palm cords anyideas what the heck happened if you want pics I can email them I don't know how to post them here so pm me and I'll email them if it helps my house couldve burnt down kinda freaky
    I have sent you a private message in regards to this issue. This type of issue should NEVER happen so I would like to work with you on this issue as quickly as possible.

Thank you,
    HardBeatZ
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    The lack of photographic evidence and punctuation are both disturbing me.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    The lack of photographic evidence and punctuation are both disturbing me.
    Yeah, something smells fishy. Or is that smokey? Wha...Sorry, gotta go. My cord is on fire, and it's not even attached to anything!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Without picture, this is fake.

If you cannot upload them here to the forum, why you don't upload them to picasa/photobucket/flickr/imageshack/facebook/fotolog or any site and link the photo?
    I will admit my phone gets really hot MHS Sprint Pre, I usually leave it halfway over an airvent when using MHS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    thanks guys for all your help I reallt appreciate it I'm returning the cords today and as soon as I get the money I'm getting the computer checked out too and thanks again btw when I have time I'll go to the regular site and thank all of you with the thanks button see ya
    If they are all Palm brand cords, just return the one that shorted. The other cords are just as likely to catch fire as new cords from the same store or any other store for that matter (ie not very likely).

@ HardBeatZ
    So awesome having you guys roam around in here
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  19.    #39  
    thanks to HardBeatZ they are replacing the cable and having me send it in so they can see what happened and prevent it from ever happening again and to everyone who doesn't beleave me I'm sorry but it is true I don't need you to beleave me I'm sending me evidence to palm they need the proof to fix it so neway oh yea sorry about my puncuation but my spelling is horrible and I'm on a forum for petes sake who cares as long as you can make out the post calm down a weee bit geez well see ya guys later and thanks to everone who was a big help
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    thanks to HardBeatZ they are replacing the cable and having me send it in so they can see what happened and prevent it from ever happening again and to everyone who doesn't beleave me I'm sorry but it is true I don't need you to beleave me I'm sending me evidence to palm they need the proof to fix it so neway oh yea sorry about my puncuation but my spelling is horrible and I'm on a forum for petes sake who cares as long as you can make out the post calm down a weee bit geez well see ya guys later and thanks to everone who was a big help
    Most of the time, when people do not use any punctuation or correct spelling, its assumed they can't be taken seriously especially when combined with an extremely rare situation such as a usb cable catching on fire. Punctuation makes your post easier to read and understand, the very reason punctuation was invented (I'll add it to the wikipedia definition later if it's not there). Does your punctuation need to be perfect? Hell no, but run on sentences hurt. This is a forum, not a tweet, or facebook status, or a youtube leave Britney alone video. People actually spend time replying and trying to understand your full situation so they can help. Poor english is like saying thanks for the help as you show them a picture of something not nice. They'd rather you thank them while showing a picture of a kitten being adorable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast