Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I stupidly and hurriedly ran to the hair drier and I went around the phone for a few minutes. Battery out of course.

Then I put the phone in a container of rice.

And I took it out a few minutes ago and it went to a battery with a ? mark.

Then I booted it again and it displayed a PALM logo.

And now It does nothing. So I took the battery out and placed it back in the rice filled container and put it on my cable Box to heat up and dry out.

Is there any other advice I should follow?

Or do the symbols I encountered mean the phone is toast?
    You should leave the phone out for at least two or three days before you try to boot it up. If it went dead, you're going to have to get it replaced.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Yikes feel your pain! My wife has done that twice over the years... good luck!
    I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but why do people think that putting your're phone in rice for an hour is gunna do anything. I believe putting it in rice can actually help depending on how long the phone was in water and how quickly you can get it dried out, but if you leave it in there just for an hour or two then try to power it up you might as well not put it in the rice at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by gold5225 View Post
    Make sure the container is air tight and you leave it sit for two or three days. While rice does absorb the moisture it does not do so immediately, it takes time.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but why do people think that putting your're phone in rice for an hour is gunna do anything. I believe putting it in rice can actually help depending on how long the phone was in water and how quickly you can get it dried out, but if you leave it in there just for an hour or two then try to power it up you might as well not put it in the rice at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Make sure the container is air tight and you leave it sit for two or three days. While rice does absorb the moisture it does not do so immediately, it takes time.
    Well I really don't know how long the rice will take to absorb the moisture, I am a 17 year old male who doesn't cook rice very often. And I figured, albeit erroneously that the moisture would be gone if I left it on my cable box to heat up for around 3 hours.
    I'm a little more worried if you plan on cooking the rice later on.
    i read somewhere that 30% of all phones reported lost or ruined were dropped in the toilet. That's wrong on many different levels...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    i read somewhere that 30% of all phones reported lost or ruined were dropped in the toilet. That's wrong on many different levels...
    Must be a lot of small butts in the world. Then there are the guys when drunk that put their head on the wall while standing in front of the toilet.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    My brother dropped his phone (not a Palm) in the toilet semi-recently, too. What on earth are you ppl doing with your phones in the bathroom?! Do you REALLY need to be THAT connected to the world?!?!

Leave your phone outside of the bathroom - it'll save it from drowning and it'll keep all those nasty toilet germs off it (remember, tiny drops of toilet water fly well up into the air and around the bathroom when you flush, even with the toilet lid closed).
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Should have kept it in there where it belongs! just kidding

will HP/Palm come out with new hardware already!
    People be smart when looking at **** on the toilet. This problem is only going to get worse when Flash comes.
    My daughter dropped hers in the swimming pool yesterday. She took the battery out as soon as possible and dried the phone off and placed it in rice. When I got home from work I took the shop vac., held the nozzle just about 1/16th inch away from the phone with it open in the area of the keyboard, for about 30 minutes. Phone now works perfectly. Be patient make sure you get the phone completely dry. Good Luck!!
    Follow my advice: That white symbol means your phone as a mulfunction circuite board. Take the device in for repairs. However, if they find out that the device was water damage, then your warranty would be void.

On returing the phone make sure all water residue,as been thoroughly wipe dry. Especially under the batt compartment. They are not allowed to open up the phones, so you stand a good chance of getting a replacement or a brand new one. I had that same problem with one of my several pres'. Sprint gave me a brand new one. :-)

@Good Luck. Ps. Be more careful...next time.
    Last edited by rush; 07/14/2010 at 07:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    On returing the phone make sure all water residue,as been thoroughly wipe dry. Especially under the batt compartment. They are not allowed to open up the phones, so you stand a good chance of getting a replacement or a brand new one. I had that same problem with one of my several pres'. Sprint gave me a brand new one. :-)

@Good Luck. Ps. Be more careful...next time.
    Cool, another case of insurance fraud advice.
    We seem to getting a lot of these lately!

To anyone; do whatever you want with your Pre, be as stupid as you like, then take it back, lie through your teeth, and get it replaced free of charge.
    Not to be completely off topic here, but I have seen a few people ask something like "What are you doing with your phone in the bathroom?"

For me the answer is: Playing Jump O' Clock while I take care of business. Some games are just better on the throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    I'm a little more worried if you plan on cooking the rice later on.
    You're not supposed to. After absorbing moisture rice will smell and taste funny. That's why rice should not be store in moist cabinets.

It's actually a real trick. My grandmom used to preserve ginseng using fried rice (not the type you eat but the rice grains were stir fried to like popcorn) and it works well.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I stupidly and hurriedly ran to the hair drier and I went around the phone for a few minutes. Battery out of course.

And I took it out a few minutes ago and it went to a battery with a ? mark.

Then I booted it again and it displayed a PALM logo.

And now It does nothing. So I took the battery out and placed it back in the rice filled container and put it on my cable Box to heat up and dry out.

Is there any other advice I should follow?

Or do the symbols I encountered mean the phone is toast?
    Friend, you do know that toilet water is not recommended for the pre.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    Friend, you do know that toilet water is not recommended for the pre.
    No Worries. I am all set. I popped my battery back in my phone after almost 20 hours of letting it sit in a glad like container with a fifth of it full of rice and I rested it upon my cable box figuring my extra heat would help. And what do you know. It now works. Speakers, Mic, keyboard, camera, everything. I am $600 dollars happy lol.
    No Worries. I am all set. I popped my battery back in my phone after almost 20 hours of letting it sit in a glad like container with a fifth of it full of rice and I rested it upon my cable box figuring my extra heat would help. And what do you know. It now works. Speakers, Mic, keyboard, camera, everything. I am $600 dollars happy lol.
    Cool! But remind me to NEVER borrow your phone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast