1.    #1  
    I knew I had to have an O2 pre from the moment that I found out about the rebel sim unlock, so around October-ish.

Now, due to the fact that no new hardware has been announced, and my Pre is starting to look a bit on the nasty side (it's been well loved) I was considering buying a cheap Verizon Pre +, as I hear that they have the best build quality, and transplanting my GSM comms board into it.

I have seen this mentioned a couple of times around here, but I wanted to know whether anyone has ever done this and whether the device will work afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmith88 View Post
    I knew I had to have an O2 pre from the moment that I found out about the rebel sim unlock, so around October-ish.

Now, due to the fact that no new hardware has been announced, and my Pre is starting to look a bit on the nasty side (it's been well loved) I was considering buying a cheap Verizon Pre +, as I hear that they have the best build quality, and transplanting my GSM comms board into it.

I have seen this mentioned a couple of times around here, but I wanted to know whether anyone has ever done this and whether the device will work afterwards.
    Wouldn't it be better to do this on an AT&T Pre plus, will a cdma phone work if you switch out the radio for gsm? Why not get a o2 pre plus and get it unlocked?
  3.    #3  
    I was looking into the unlocked AT&T road, but to get one sent out to Australia will end up being about $700. but I can grab a bad ESN Verizon pre + for around $100 and do a bit of fiddling myself.

I would hate to go and buy an outright AT&T pre + and then next week they announce their new phone!

Just looking at different options at the moment.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I was looking into the unlocked AT&T road, but to get one sent out to Australia will end up being about $700. but I can grab a bad ESN Verizon pre + for around $100 and do a bit of fiddling myself.

I would hate to go and buy an outright AT&T pre + and then next week they announce their new phone!

Just looking at different options at the moment.
    You want to change a Pre into a Pre+ shell? Are you going to cut the hole for the center button? How is it damaged? The screen or the backside or slider? I don't know about the slider but if its just the top shell you can buy it on ebay here.The battery cover should be on ebay too if not just replace with touchstone cover its very durable compared to the original one. For the slider I have read you can tighten it since my Pre is under warranty I havent tried to mess with it but if you are taking it apart this should not be a problem. This covers most of the phone I dont know about were you would get the middle part thats sandwiched in between the screen and the battery cover.
  5.    #5  
    I just meant to change the comms board, The bit on the back of the phone (under the cover) that has how to insert the battery on it.

In the gsm models, it has the Simcard slot, on the cdma versions it is just plain black.
    I did this with a pre I bougt off ebay. It had a crack on the screen and I wasn't having any of that. So I took my original pre (modem died) and took out the comm board and logic board and swapped them with the comm and logic boards in the "new" pre. Everything is working swimmingly!

it's very fun to take it apart wen you've done it once before, but scary as hell the first time. Definitely google disassemble pre and check out the teardown tuitorials. But all in al I don't see why it wouldn't work.

good luck!
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I just meant to change the comms board, The bit on the back of the phone (under the cover) that has how to insert the battery on it.

In the gsm models, it has the Simcard slot, on the cdma versions it is just plain black.
    I would imagine the connectors for pre/pre+ would be different given the different specs and the loss of the center button. Is the flash memory also on this board? If not would it not still have the software for cdma?

Sorry for asking more questions than im answering. If you do try it let us know how it works.
  8.    #8  
    I know that rwhitby has done some serious pullaparts of his devices, but I cant for the life of my find the thread.
    Does anyone remember seeing anything like that?
  9.    #9  
    Oh BTW, I have disassembled it before, I replaced the screen after it met the concrete rather hard on a night out.
  10.    #10  
    I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Cheers.
    The French option doesn't sound too bad either, might have a look into that tonight.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

I just did this today actually. Got a Pre Plus running on Sprint by swammping my comm board / modem. I get all the goodness of the Pre Plus with the ESN/MEID of my Sprint phone. I'd imagine it would work for the GSM board too.

Just make sure to meta-doctor a rom for your network onto the Plus before swapping boards.
    Have fun!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    I just did this today actually. Got a Pre Plus running on Sprint by swammping my comm board / modem. I get all the goodness of the Pre Plus with the ESN/MEID of my Sprint phone. I'd imagine it would work for the GSM board too.

Just make sure to meta-doctor a rom for your network onto the Plus before swapping boards.
    Have fun!
    so all you had to do was put the sprint doctor onto the verizon phone using the meta-doctor.

and i guess the modem firmware doesn't interact with the rest of the phone too much, so it should just stay the way it is....

the only other point is whether the phone thinks it has been acivated in the usa or in the uk now? Uk modem, US rest of it.

i have found a pre plus for $1 bad esn, so i think ill have to give it a go.