1.    #1  
    Hey everyone, if I buy a Palm Pre Plus (AT&T) from ebay/craigslist, can I activate it and use it without a data plan (aka Wifi only)? The reason I ask is that next month I'm leaving to study abroad in Egypt for a year and won't even be using the AT&T sim card, so there's no point in paying monthly for a data plan.

So is it possible? Thanks in advance.

(edit: If I buy it as soon as this week, I'll be using it with AT&T until I leave, then will switch with an Egyptian carrier sim card)
    you are required to have a data plan. Logging in to a palm profile is needed to make the phone work, and you would need a data plan to do it.

there is a way to use it wifi only, but you won't be able to use it as aphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjabosi View Post
    Hey everyone, if I buy a Palm Pre Plus (AT&T) from ebay/craigslist, can I activate it and use it without a data plan (aka Wifi only)? The reason I ask is that next month I'm leaving to study abroad in Egypt for a year and won't even be using the AT&T sim card, so there's no point in paying monthly for a data plan.

So is it possible? Thanks in advance.

(edit: If I buy it as soon as this week, I'll be using it with AT&T until I leave, then will switch with an Egyptian carrier sim card)
    I think you can... I am not 100% sure. you may need data for the first few minutes of activation, until the phone is up and running. But you can operate the phone day to day with WiFi alone. (including Palm Profile)
    I spent 2 weeks in Italy, with the data disabled and only used WiFi when it was available..
    Now, the question is will ATT let you use that phone on a plan without data..
    I still have a $19.00 a month all you can eat data plan from a 4 year old LG phone I got. I started using the Pre and ATT didn't bother me (yet), and I know that they know.. Cause I looked up my account on line and they say I am using a Pre..
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&so...***+activation

It's the first link to precentral, I can't post the link on here for some reason.

I'm on sprint and did it. Works on wifi only with access to the app store and all that. It is a little difficult to follow but just read through the steps carefully.
    I was in a similar predicament as you.

My recommendation is that you.

a. Use a friend's sim card [If they are on AT&T] to activate your palm profile on your PrePlus
    b. Next you can either 1. use NextGen to unlock your phone or 2. Call AT&T to get an unlock code
    I belive you can first if you want to flat out not use a data plan you must unlock it and use meta doctor to allow you to use the First Use app on WI-FI (this is the app that sets up your palm profile and is required to be run).
    More info at palm-pre-tips-information-resources/221385-cross-platform-meta-doctor-guide-bypass-carrier-activation-etc.html (just put in the precentral part and paste the rest in I can't post link).
    MAKE SURE TO NOT CHOOSE BYPASS CARRIER ACTIVATION YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE RADIO AND THEREFORE IT WOULD ONLY BE A PDA and people say the WI-FI is built into that!
    WAIT!
    Dont insert that AT&T SIM just yet because since you dont have a data plan you need to go to the phone app, tap the left hand corner (application menu at the top), tap prefrences then under network change and turn all data OFF!
    Now pop the sim in and turn on your phone.
    ^^^^
    That will work as long as you don't try to to make a call...