Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I have the Sprint Pre and I'm pretty sure I used to be able to be on a phone call and open up a web page at the same time. Now when I make a call, the EV symbol in the top corner of the phone goes away and I can't use the internet. When I hang up, the EV comes back and the web is fine again. Any ideas?
    CDMA technology does not allow voice and data at the same time. This would happen on any phone with Verizon too. As for your previous experience, you may have had data capabilities through Wifi. If you are connected with Wifi, then yes, you can talk and browse the web simultaneously.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    So I have the Sprint Pre and I'm pretty sure I used to be able to be on a phone call and open up a web page at the same time. Now when I make a call, the EV symbol in the top corner of the phone goes away and I can't use the internet. When I hang up, the EV comes back and the web is fine again. Any ideas?

Never Happened

Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    CDMA technology does not allow voice and data at the same time. This would happen on any phone with Verizon too. As for your previous experience, you may have had data capabilities through Wifi. If you are connected with Wifi, then yes, you can talk and browse the web simultaneously.
    beat me to it
    Why do I feel like the OP is Luke Wilson?
    That is an example of the network limiting the phone. Webos is the king of multitaksing, however on a cdma carrier(sprint verizon) you cant talk and surf web at the same time, unless on wifi.
    you must've been on wifi in order to be on the web and talk on the phone
    what did you smoke/drink before said web browsing and talking was happening concurrently?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBigE View Post
    Why do I feel like the OP is Luke Wilson?
    lol
    wow that really sucks. I often wondered the same thing. I got so angry one night I was trying use a resteruant app while on a call and it wouldn't work.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    ...when I make a call, the EV symbol in the top corner of the phone goes away and I can't use the internet. When I hang up, the EV comes back and the web is fine again. Any ideas?
    Yep. Working as designed. Issue closed. Next!?
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
  11.    #11  
    cat pants
    cat pants
    I love you. I just cried I laughed so hard
    why would you want to do that anyway? Talk, or surf... Doing both is rude to whoever you are talking to.

Dr.
    actually evdo A is supposed to be able to do both data and voice but for some reason both sprint and verizon have not implemented the feature.
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...oice-and-data/
    Last edited by baby-huey; 07/14/2010 at 01:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_EluSivE View Post
    why would you want to do that anyway? Talk, or surf... Doing both is rude to whoever you are talking to.

Dr.
    Maybe they are looking something up for that person. And with things like bluetooth or speaker phone it's not like you can't do both at the same time without interrupting a conversation. Perhaps letting other people decide what is rude to them is best in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by baby-huey View Post
    actually evdo A is supposed to be able to do both data and voice but for some reason both sprint and verizon have not implemented the feature.
    Sprint Treo Pro to support simultaneous voice and data? Boy Genius Report
    That is correct. Rev A's main improvement (other than speed) over Rev 0 is concurrent data and phone calls. Sprint and Verizon both have this feature disabled at their towers (not at the phone) for network congestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    That is correct. Rev A's main improvement (other than speed) over Rev 0 is concurrent data and phone calls. Sprint and Verizon both have this feature disabled at their towers (not at the phone) for network congestion.
    Switch to AT&T, works fine on their 3G network.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Switch to AT&T, works fine on their 3G network.
    I would say "working fine" is relative when you talk about AT&T service.

Also one of the reasons ATT network is so bad (data clogged and voice problems) has been at least somewhat linked to the fact that Data and Voice is traveling over the same bandwidth.
    I'm in the minority here because I really like that voice and data are separate on Sprint/Verizon because I rarely need to use the web/data while I'm on the phone. It gives me the ability to shut the data connection off completely to save battery life while retaining the ability to receive calls and sms messages.
    If you are near Wifi you can browse and use phone at the same time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast