1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    What I would like to accomplish, is to create a USB linux partition on my Pre to be able to boot into Linux on the go. I am familiar with the partitioning using gParted and how to install a bootable Linux distro on a USB key, I am just unsure if this would have any negative impact on webOS. Thanks.
    It shouldn't cause any problems
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Hi all,
    What I would like to accomplish, is to create a USB linux partition on my Pre to be able to boot into Linux on the go. I am familiar with the partitioning using gParted and how to install a bootable Linux distro on a USB key, I am just unsure if this would have any negative impact on webOS. Thanks.
    If you could ever write up a tutorial on how to do this, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one forever grateful.
  4.    #4  
    @063_xobx Could you elaborate on that? Have you partitioned the USB drive on a pre? Or does your understanding of the OS and it's inner workings go far enough that you can say the Pre would still boot fine and be recognized as a USB when I plug it into my PC?
    @annus1220 When I have accomplished this, I will have thoroughly documented what I have done and be more than willing to do a step by step. This will be done from a Linux PC however, so whatever tutorial I do post will be instructions to install from Linux. I do not use Windows ne more, so I can't give exact details on that.
  5.    #5  
    anyone else, maybe some of the Linux guru's on here, have ny info on the effects of this?
    I doubt you'll be able to accomplish this, as the USB drive functionality is built into the modem firmware, it not done purely by Linux.

-- Rod
  7.    #7  
    Thanks rod. So, the phone is recognized as a modem first? Then a driver tells the pc to call it a USB? Just so I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Thanks rod. So, the phone is recognized as a modem first? Then a driver tells the pc to call it a USB? Just so I understand.
    No, the firmware on the phone that responds in a way that emulates a USB drive is coupled with the closed proprietary modem firmware.

-- Rod
  9.    #9  
    so if the USB drive can be used to jailbreak a PS3, why not use as a USB Linux booter? I must still be missing something. If I do go ahead and partition it, will that be reversible? Or will I brick my pre. Don't want to create a need to doctor if I don't have to.
    Last edited by woodmaster; 09/06/2010 at 05:23 AM. Reason: misspoke, I waas sleepy