1.    #1  
    Is there any way to get the pre plus onto my home network, so I can browse the shared folders on my various PCs and even open the files? Get it to be on the same workgroup as my home PCs and view shared folders as I would through windows explorer?

If there would be a way to do this from outside the network as well that would be even better?
    The device can connect to your home network and mostly take advantage of wifi internet access. You may want to look at an app called wifi media sync which will sync media files from your network to your device and back the other way. You're not really "accessing" the files on the network, but it does a good job at what it does.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The device can connect to your home network and mostly take advantage of wifi internet access. You may want to look at an app called wifi media sync which will sync media files from your network to your device and back the other way. You're not really "accessing" the files on the network, but it does a good job at what it does.
    Well given the 100s of gigabytes I have on my PC, syncing is not really a viable option.
    I use Zumo drive. I get 2 gigs free, and it keeps a few files that I want to access on my pre. You can buy more space, and use it for music, pictures, videos, documents, etc and access them anywhere
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I use Orb. You can browse files and even download media. However I tried to download other files and it takes only a few seconds to finish, but it is not
    the whole file.
    Set up a web server, with ssl and authentication, and point your pre there? You'd just have to set up a 1:1 NAT through your firewall that points to that system. If you need to actually edit (on webos? not likely), that's a little more difficult. I'm not sure if there is a webDAV client for the pre. SCP would work, though.

But, you definitely want to know how to do this properly, as you will now be exposing services to a hostile network. If you aren't a knowledgeable sysadmin, you may need to go with the sync to the cloud options others mention above.

Aaaand, by default this will only work from the outside, as WebOS refuses to use your own DNS when on wifi (until you fix it with an ifup script, like I did :-)
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 07/13/2010 at 01:26 PM.
    : (){:|:&};: