1.    #1  
    My brother is thinking of getting a smart phone. He's on Verizon. He called me to ask my about my Pre (Sprint). Were both tech savvy and have had jobs in the industry. He doesn't want an iPhone. In a 25 min. phone conversation I laied out all the pros and cons of the Pre/webOS/homebrew and a rough comparison to Android. Now he's thinking of getting a Pre+.

Levelheaded conversation with someone who isn't a fanbio of something else, and it's hard for them to say webOS isn't a powerful, elegant OS with room for growth. For me, true multitasking is damn hard to switch away from; e.g. listening to music, while reading some news, responding to a text message and brightness unlinked running in the background and switching between them with simple gestures.
    Last edited by ElPhantasmo; 07/13/2010 at 10:01 AM.
    It's always good to have a non flame war style phone conversation. I don't understand personally where all the hate comes from. All the different OSes have their merits. I personally prefer WebOS over the others, but that doesn't mean other handset users or myself made the "wrong" decision. Hopefully your brother will become an active member of this little community and will help it grow as a whole, and I hope he enjoys his new phone.
    dz, I don't really think it is "hate". I think it is people's inability to make a distinction between opinion and fact. ElPhantasmo believes that webOS is the way to do -- he has it and he loves it and explained to his brother why he thinks it is the best. If his brother has a sister who is in love with Android I would expect her to have a similar converstation with her brother on the merits of Android and why she thinks its better than webOS.

Where we always seem to run into the ****** (BTW, I just entered the six "*"'s since I knew it would cut "phanboy" out anyway ;-) ) state is when people think their way is the only way and anyone who does not agree with them is stupid and needs to be "converted" to their way of thinking.

There is room for several OSes out there for smartphones and we see the top 5 are some strong contenders. OS choice should be like food choice. Not everyone is going to like the same food, but in the end, everyone has to eat.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    ElPhantasmo believes that webOS is the way to do -- he has it and he loves it and explained to his brother why he thinks it is the best. If his brother has a sister who is in love with Android I would expect her to have a similar converstation with her brother on the merits of Android and why she thinks its better than webOS.
    You're a little off the mark, but I'm not chastising you. I explained the benefits and drawbacks of the Pre/webOS to my brother. I did mention the advantages Andriod and iPhone have over the Pre/webOS, while explaining which features in thePre/webOS I found superior and inferior to others (I did mention Blackberry to him as well). To end it, I told him I wouldn't change my phone for any other currently on the market. The Palm Pre and webOS are the best for ME, and I feel that others should give it an honest chance when toying around with smart phones in a store.
    Last edited by ElPhantasmo; 07/13/2010 at 05:09 PM.
    I would recommend a the Palm Pre Plus....but i don't know if i can recommend the OG Palm Pre to anyone on Sprint anymore.

But on verizon, its a no brainer if you travel alot for the free hotspot feature. (without having to hack anything)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    You're a little off the mark, but I'm chastising you. I explained the benefits and drawbacks of the Pre/webOS to my brother. I did mention the advantages Andriod and iPhone have over the Pre/webOS, while explaining which features in thePre/webOS I found superior and inferior to others (I did mention Blackberry to him as well). To end it, I told him I wouldn't change my phone for any other currently on the market. The Palm Pre and webOS are the best for ME, and I feel that others should give it an honest chance when toying around with smart phones in a store.
    Sorry, did NOT mean to put words into your mouth (or take out words that were there). I was speaking more in general and not to your specific situation there -- sorry.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Sorry, did NOT mean to put words into your mouth (or take out words that were there). I was speaking more in general and not to your specific situation there -- sorry.
    Mea Culpa! I meant to put "not" before the word "chastise." I edited my post to reflect that.
    i like your brother. sounds like a smart one.